Thread: Lack of sleep is getting to me.

Lack of sleep is getting to me.

Lack of sleep isn't anything new for me, but it occurs every now and then. In the past, it usually resolves itself eventually. But even so, it still drives up my anxiety, especially as I get closer to bedtime. For example, going into last night, I didn't sleep very well at all. I must have gotten just like 2-3 hours of sleep and that was it. So naturally, I felt a bit down during the day but it was my day off from work so it was fine. Honestly, despite the lack of sleep, I never felt sleepy at all once I was up and all. I do drink stuff with caffeine in it but even when that wears off, it's not like my eyes are wanting to close themselves. (maybe that doesn't mean anything necessarily)

I think I slept okay last night but the thing is, I'm not really sure. Because my dark clrcles under my eyes are still there despite seemingly sleeping better. I'm under the impression it takes a while for those to go away. Correct me if I'm wrong. All I remember was going to bed at 11:15 pm. Now I do have an overactive bladder sometimes so I had to wake up to pee a few times and each time, I noticed hours had passed and it felt like I was waking up to go to the bathroom. Also, I didn't lay there like other nights till a certain point late in the night and take something like ZZZquil. (sleep aid stuff). So all of that tells me I slept but the thing is, I'm not convinced because of the eye circles and the fact my eyes felt tired in the morning. Why are my eyes tired if I slept a bit better than some of the previous nights? That just drives up my anxiety more.

Because now, I'm afraid what will happen if this continues. I worked today and I feel sore/achy but i'm feeling like it's more from work than lack of sleep. I work an exhausting job. But yeah, I feel exhausted enough to where sleeping would do me good. I'm just worried what happens if I can't sleep knowing that my body could really use it. Will I eventually just doze off to sleep at some point? I mean, my body will let me sleep at some point? I take some sleep pills sometimes to help push me to sleep but sometimes it takes a long time for me to sleep. I was up till 6 am once but that was mostly due to going to bed at 2am. Plus had caffeine late which didn't help.

Re: Lack of sleep is getting to me.

Ah the 'anxious about sleep' and therefore not sleeping scenario. I've posted about this very issue myself in the past. Insomnia is like many mental health issues - the more you think about it, the more you worry about it the worse it becomes, your body and the adrenaline can over ride the exhaustion. I've had weeks like what you describe above. Firstly - think about your nightime routine and making it calm and relaxing with some reading or music, lay off the coffee, don't drink a couple of hours before bed or you will be up for the toilet, don't stress about not sleeping as yes at some point it will happen and you are getting a few hours and can get by on that.

Re: Lack of sleep is getting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Ah the 'anxious about sleep' and therefore not sleeping scenario. I've posted about this very issue myself in the past. Insomnia is like many mental health issues - the more you think about it, the more you worry about it the worse it becomes, your body and the adrenaline can over ride the exhaustion. I've had weeks like what you describe above. Firstly - think about your nightime routine and making it calm and relaxing with some reading or music, lay off the coffee, don't drink a couple of hours before bed or you will be up for the toilet, don't stress about not sleeping as yes at some point it will happen and you are getting a few hours and can get by on that.
    Spot on.

You're over analysing it.

Why this, why that, what if, I can't.....

It'll happen, or not. The more you pay attention to it, the worst it'll get.

Thread Information