Thread: Convinced I've got inflammatory breast cancer

Convinced I've got inflammatory breast cancer

2 weeks ago I noticed a large (like 5x2inches) pink patch of skin on my left breast. I googled it, panicked, and saw my GP at the end of that week. He described it as "low grade inflammation" and told me he has seen a couple of cases of IBC in his career, and they were more pronounced and had been present longer. He prescribed antibiotics and booked an appointment for 6th April.
    After 4 days, there was no change whatsoever from the antibiotics. So I rang the GP surgery again in a panic. I saw a different doctor, and she said "hmm it's subtle but I see what you mean". She said she didn't think I would relax until I'd been seen in the cancer clinic, and referred me. That was a week ago. They're supposed to see you within 2 weeks but I know someone who knows someone that works in the breast clinic - they have a backlog due to covid and I'm looking at about 18 days. 11 more days of hell. I have a 7 month old baby and I cry all day every day about dying and him not remembering me. I had to stop breastfeeding at 3 months so it's not mastitis.
    I don't have pain or swelling or itching. The skin on both breasts feels the same to touch. But the pores look bigger in the pink area. And if I pinch a bit of skin on both sides, it's thicker in the pink area - this is orange peel skin isn't it?! So that's 2 major symptoms and no other credible explanation. How can I get through this next bit of time knowing that I have this disease eating me up and I'm not getting treatment?!

I don't really know why I'm writing this, other than to get it written down.

Re: Convinced I've got inflammatory breast cancer

Hi there. Just wanted to tell you this happened to me about 5 years ago. I went crazy thinking I had IBC. I had a patch on my left breast, and was really freaking out about it. In the end it ended up going away after a few months and they chalked it up to my body's hormonal changes, and some skin irritation. I had a 6 month old at the time, and I think by body was trying to get back into sync. Are you breast feeding? Weird things happen too when we are nursing.

Thread Information