Thread: Citalopram Anxiety 40mg

Citalopram Anxiety 40mg

Hi all.
    My first time posting on here so hope this is ok.
    I have been suffering with anxiety for 3 years now (well all my life but it’s been at it’s worse for 3 years)
    I was on citalopram and worked my way up from 10mg to 30mg over 12 months and finally settled with 30mg. Stupidly I felt great whilst on it for 12 months so decided to taper off.
    Fast forward 6 months (lockdown has not helped I’m sure) - I’m now feeling back to square one and really upset about it. I’m anxious about going back to normal, anxious about driving, travelling, just general life outside of the house.
    Docs have put me back on Citalopram and have been on it for 8 months however I’m finding it’s not working for me this time round and the docs have suggested me taking 40mg. I’m concerned as this is quite high and I’m trying for a baby.

Has anyone else been on 40mg for anxiety and has it worked?
    Or do I look to try a different med as presume my body may have got used to being on Cit previously.

Anyone’s comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    E

Re: Citalopram Anxiety 40mg

Hi Em,
    I have been on 40 my Citalopram for several years and before that I tapered off and then restarted twice due to re emergence of anxiety symptoms. When I restarted the dose was 20 mg and then I eventually went up to 40 mg which I was not overjoyed about but I was not in a good place at the time so I went along with Doctor.
    I have mixed feelings about Citalopram and wanted an alternative, because when I restarted I had some pretty bad side effects such as increased anxiety and intrusive thoughts although I was told at the time these could be my anxiety I was suffering but I knew Citalopram had these side effects when starting . I questioned the doctor about this and why were the medication not stopping this and he said SSRI 's are not really going to eradicate symptoms but make them more manageable. Other side effects are sometimes hard to define such as poor concentration , insomnia , increased blood pressure and weight gain but I definitely as a male had side effects when it came my sex life ( to put it delicately!) ..I think if you are relatively young and fit overall you should be fine ... I think obviously Citalopram has to combined with other therapies and no relied on exclusively to treat anxiety. I wanted to change Medications a few times and suggested it to my Doctor but he said the changeover could be just as problematic after 3 years on them , changing after 8 months should be easier.
    Anyway just some of my thoughts🥴
    Last edited by rcs; 02-04-21 at 07:42.

Check out the Medication Sub-Forum.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks so much for replying! I’m starting CBT next month and have just started the 40mg today so hopefully I start to notice some advantages soon as really don’t want to have to start again on another tablet. Hope you’re keeping well!

Therapy is positive step, and as said in previous thread positive thoughts are the goal in CBT along with other topics that can be useful in the future. I watched a good Youtube video on the inner voice recently and its role in negative thinking. All The Best

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Thread Information