Thread: On and off constipation

On and off constipation

I have had ibs for 30+ years and it has always been a source of major anxiety for me. This last 5 years has been horrendous with my health anxiety over my bowels, I have posted a lot about it.

For the past 3 or so years I have bouts of constipation maybe twice a week. In between I have fairly normal bowel movements but if I haven't been for 2 days I get a day where I go about 3 times in one day. Constipation has always been an issue with my ibs but for some reason it really worries me now. I don't drink enough but I am trying to improve on that. I also don't get much in the way of exercise as I have had quite bad depression for the last few months and been signed off from work. I find it hard to get out of bed each day and very rarely manage to get up before midday.

Should I be concerned about the constipation? I keep trying over and over again and I start to feel sore from the straining.

Re: On and off constipation

I wouldn't be. I think that with lockdown and the associated lack of exercise it'll probably have been a problem for a lot of people.

Thanks for the reply. I just get so anxious when I can't go, I worry that something is stopping the stool from coming out.

Not going for 2 days isn't constipation though.

I know how anxious you are about thinking you have bowel cancer but you've had these worries for so long now. Anything remotely unusual for you will alarm you because of your HA.

You worry when you have loose stools and you worry if you can't go for whatever reason but it will do you more harm straining to go and you don't want that.

Lack of exercise, lack of appetite and depression can all slow gut transit down. It doesn't have to be BC and obviously isn't with you. I know it's not that easy for you to accept though and I'm sure your depression and anxiety will be keeping you in the HA loop?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Not going for 2 days isn't constipation though.

I know how anxious you are about thinking you have bowel cancer but you've had these worries for so long now. Anything remotely unusual for you will alarm you because of your HA.

You worry when you have loose stools and you worry if you can't go for whatever reason but it will do you more harm straining to go and you don't want that.

Lack of exercise, lack of appetite and depression can all slow gut transit down. It doesn't have to be BC and obviously isn't with you. I know it's not that easy for you to accept though and I'm sure your depression and anxiety will be keeping you in the HA loop?
    The thing that concerns me though is that before my anxiety kicked in I used to go almost every day, usually once but on occasion twice. When I have a day or two of not going I have a feeling of needing to go but I am unable to.

I know this fear has been on and off over the last 17 years. I'm never truly happy and have to put on a "happy face" in front of my children. It's exhausting!

Thread Information