Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vee's Thread of GAD and World Domination

Re: Vee's Thread of GAD and World Domination

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    @ Lola, FM, LB, PM, Terry: regarding the gun issue, it's nucking futz here. Congress feared studying the issue of gun crime due to the Dickey Amendment from 1996. Only in the last two years has any research been done, and all of it fought all the way by the NRA. Money controls our government as much as it does many others, and the NRA's funds run deep. And Republicans have spent the last four years gutting our campaign finance laws, making it a lot easier for corporations, PACs and other lobbyist groups to make it easier to influence lawmaking and elections.
    Sadly Vee, in the last five to ten years the UK Government has proven it's now available to the highest bidder and will chuck money around like confetti to the friends of cabinet ministers. It makes some old African governments look a model of probity now. Not for nothing do I call the UK a "Banana Monarchy".

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Sadly Vee, in the last five to ten years the UK Government has proven it's now available to the highest bidder and will chuck money around like confetti to the friends of cabinet ministers. It makes some old African governments look a model of probity now. Not for nothing do I call the UK a "Banana Monarchy".
    I feel like in some ways though, you're ahead of us. You all made Uber treat it's full-time employees like full-time employees, and give them benefits. We couldn't do that here in CA; and that was on the ballot in the last election.

CA actually has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but we also have the most mass shootings if you define a mass shooting as having 4+ victims. We also have the most people. We also have mass shootings from perpetrators that come here out of state. But if you count mass shootings with 2+ victims, Louisiana is the most dangerous state. Texas, the state with the least restrictive gun laws has a fatality rate that is 40% more than California. Chicago, Illinois though, is still the city with the worst murder rate.

Although I'm sure LB will have a field day with all of these statistics, my point is that our policy of federalism is both constraining and freeing. Gun laws are left up to the state governments, as there is nothing in the national laws that holds them in the purview of the national government, other than the 2nd amendment. Unless the Supreme Court were to receive a case, or Congress were to pass a national law, it would be very hard for anything to happen nation wide. Even an executive order would only last as long as that president was in office, and that's if SCOTUS were not to rule against it. At the same time, federalism is also nice, because you can move to a state with the gun laws that you approve of...

Gun laws are terrifying. I’m sorry about the latest mass shooting, how they are treated as a byproduct of being able to own guns.
    I’m sorry that being a teacher must be so frustrating too sometimes- I’m sure there are great bits, but that’s not what this thread is about.
    My own country is a bit of an embarrassment right now: The Royal Family, Brexit.. Piers Morgan.

Love to you Vee. Happy to vote for you when you launch your own world domination campaign:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vee, maybe Uber but it's still a mess with self employed workers struggling. Self employment is great when you have a profession but very poor if not. The latter just opens the door to fat cats saving money and offering less security. We finally got rights for temp workers then along comes the gig economy and puts a lot of people back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Gun laws are terrifying. I’m sorry about the latest mass shooting, how they are treated as a byproduct of being able to own guns.
    I’m sorry that being a teacher must be so frustrating too sometimes- I’m sure there are great bits, but that’s not what this thread is about.
    My own country is a bit of an embarrassment right now: The Royal Family, Brexit.. Piers Morgan.

Love to you Vee. Happy to vote for you when you launch your own world domination campaign:

Piers Morgan always seems to bounce back. His last stint for a paper should have been his end but the unflushable just floated back up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I think a lot of it is also down to voting hesitancy and general political apathy.

A lot of people have said the Johnson govt are the worst they've ever known in their lifetime, but are still adamant that things would be far worse under Labour or the Lib Dems!

Especially those who have been indoctrinated by the likes of Karen on Facebook!

Oddly enough, some people now seem to regard the prospects of contracting Covid the lesser of the two evils compared to being jabbed and risk developing blood clots!

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post

Thanks, Scass There are great things about teaching. I really do love my work. I've just never had so many negative parents as I've had this year. Maybe it's a result of the pandemic? Everyone's cranky and frustrated? Usually during normal years, when I call home it's, "Thank you so much for contacting me." And I have some great parents this year that are like that. But last week, when I was contacting parents about end of trimester grades, I'd get like 5 negative ones in a row. And you know how the ratio works, one negative seems to wipe out like 10 positive. And even if some parents think History isn't important (I've heard from one that a kid can just look up what happened on wikipedia), I teach English too. Usually people agree that language is important. Sheesh LOL

The Brexit thing did make you all look bad... As for the Royal Family, I'd say most Americans already knew that stuff and were not surprised. Most of us still can't believe an institution exists based on who your parents are... I mean, we know stuff like that happens here, like little legacies get into Harvard and such, but people try to hide that LOL

Your loyalty towards my regime has been duly noted

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Vee, maybe Uber but it's still a mess with self employed workers struggling. Self employment is great when you have a profession but very poor if not. The latter just opens the door to fat cats saving money and offering less security. We finally got rights for temp workers then along comes the gig economy and puts a lot of people back to square one.
    Yeah, we are really struggling with this over here too. We need other states to join in the fight against them.

And I just wanted to say, Happy Holidays to everyone, whatever you celebrate! Passover has special meaning this year, as I am grateful for all those Covid did pass over!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Thanks, Scass There are great things about teaching. I really do love my work. I've just never had so many negative parents as I've had this year. Maybe it's a result of the pandemic? Everyone's cranky and frustrated? Usually during normal years, when I call home it's, "Thank you so much for contacting me." And I have some great parents this year that are like that. But last week, when I was contacting parents about end of trimester grades, I'd get like 5 negative ones in a row. And you know how the ratio works, one negative seems to wipe out like 10 positive. And even if some parents think History isn't important (I've heard from one that a kid can just look up what happened on wikipedia), I teach English too. Usually people agree that language is important. Sheesh LOL

The Brexit thing did make you all look bad... As for the Royal Family, I'd say most Americans already knew that stuff and were not surprised. Most of us still can't believe an institution exists based on who your parents are... I mean, we know stuff like that happens here, like little legacies get into Harvard and such, but people try to hide that LOL

Your loyalty towards my regime has been duly noted
    I’m cranky and frustrated and negative, but I think my daughters teacher is one of the best people ever. You just don’t mess with teachers, unless they are rubbish, but I don’t believe you are rubbish.

I’m pretty used to being part of a country that lots of other countries hate. But now they think we are racist AND stupid. It’s tough.

Looking forward to to your regime. I’m happy to be one of your ladies in waiting. But a sitting role please, I don’t like standing up for too long.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information