Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vee's Thread of GAD and World Domination

Re: Vee's Thread of GAD and World Domination

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    And even if some parents think History isn't important (I've heard from one that a kid can just look up what happened on wikipedia), I teach English too. Usually people agree that language is important. Sheesh LOL
    Its a shame parents think history isn't important Vee. For a start, we can learn from it, mistakes that we can try not to repeat. As for wikipedia, I'm not sure its 100% accurate. And stand-alone facts don't always give us context that you as a teacher can give. Also teaching styles can make a subject fun, much more fun than reading it on the internet, especially with a probable lack of incentive to seek it in the first place. Your enthusiasm shines through, don't let those negative parents get you down.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Its a shame parents think history isn't important Vee. For a start, we can learn from it, mistakes that we can try not to repeat. As for wikipedia, I'm not sure its 100% accurate. And stand-alone facts don't always give us context that you as a teacher can give. Also teaching styles can make a subject fun, much more fun than reading it on the internet, especially with a probable lack of incentive to seek it in the first place. Your enthusiasm shines through, don't let those negative parents get you down.
    Thanks, FM.

Yeah, one silver lining from the pandemic is that I no longer think I will be replaced by a robot. It has shown that kids learn best from other humans. Too many consecutive negative parents last week just got me down.

Hey V... something to consider. My sister and my daughter are teachers. My sister teaches special needs children and my daughter teaches pre-school. My sister has been teaching in person (sporadically) and the students as well as the parents and students are consistently tested. My daughter is another story. The school system had no comprehensive COVID plan and she decided not to return to classes. That said, she's been teaching privately the last year and actually doing better financially. The kids, parents and her get tested regularly and she's actually enjoying it more as there's less stress and better pay.... Just a thought.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I’m cranky and frustrated and negative, but I think my daughters teacher is one of the best people ever. You just don’t mess with teachers, unless they are rubbish, but I don’t believe you are rubbish.

I’m pretty used to being part of a country that lots of other countries hate. But now they think we are racist AND stupid. It’s tough.

Looking forward to to your regime. I’m happy to be one of your ladies in waiting. But a sitting role please, I don’t like standing up for too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many of us Brits ourselves seem to hate our own country and gleefully harp on about countries like Spain being far superior.

Hey, the grass almost always seems to be greener on the other side!

I don’t hate our country though and I wouldn’t want to live in another. I think some countries have great ideas and lifestyles but also have their problems. I just think that Trump enabled a lot of far right people to think that their opinions were worth something, and the world has changed for the worst because of it. There are also many people doing good things too, and their voices are still being heard. But often it feels like the far right and those resorting to activism are the only ones whose voices are listened to. Look at the Daily Mail, it’s popularity is huge. That casual racism and sexism that is littered through it gets louder and louder. This new UK news channel that sounds like it’s going to be our equivalent of Fox News is really worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Hey V... something to consider. My sister and my daughter are teachers. My sister teaches special needs children and my daughter teaches pre-school. My sister has been teaching in person (sporadically) and the students as well as the parents and students are consistently tested. My daughter is another story. The school system had no comprehensive COVID plan and she decided not to return to classes. That said, she's been teaching privately the last year and actually doing better financially. The kids, parents and her get tested regularly and she's actually enjoying it more as there's less stress and better pay.... Just a thought.

FMP
    I don't think I'll ever go the private school option; they are not unionized here and there's no job security. Plus, many of them here have terrible pay (worse than public schools because they are not unionized and can't bargain). I'm also not a real big believer in private education (at least here). Many parents pull their children and put them in private schools or charter schools instead of demanding changes to public school and making it better for everyone. Then public schools are left with the children who's parents are more apathetic or children with no parents (like foster care) to advocate for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I don’t hate our country though and I wouldn’t want to live in another. I think some countries have great ideas and lifestyles but also have their problems. I just think that Trump enabled a lot of far right people to think that their opinions were worth something, and the world has changed for the worst because of it. There are also many people doing good things too, and their voices are still being heard. But often it feels like the far right and those resorting to activism are the only ones whose voices are listened to. Look at the Daily Mail, it’s popularity is huge. That casual racism and sexism that is littered through it gets louder and louder. This new UK news channel that sounds like it’s going to be our equivalent of Fox News is really worrying.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. Did you see that tiktok video I posted a few messages ago?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I don't think I'll ever go the private school option; they are not unionized here and there's no job security. Plus, many of them here have terrible pay (worse than public schools because they are not unionized and can't bargain). I'm also not a real big believer in private education (at least here). Many parents pull their children and put them in private schools or charter schools instead of demanding changes to public school and making it better for everyone. Then public schools are left with the children who's parents are more apathetic or children with no parents (like foster care) to advocate for them.

I'm not saying private school, I'm saying privately working for families that need teachers for their children. My daughter works for several families and teaches their pre-schoolers in addition to basically babysitting them several days a week. She's making really good money too! The parents as well as her test for COVID but now, they're getting the vaccine so that won't be necessary in the near future.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'm not saying private school, I'm saying privately working for families that need teachers for their children. My daughter works for several families and teaches their pre-schoolers in addition to basically babysitting them several days a week. She's making really good money too! The parents as well as her test for COVID but now, they're getting the vaccine so that won't be necessary in the near future.

Positive thoughts
    Ohhh... Yeah, maybe. I love my school though, and I do love my job. Virtual learning is just rough. It would have to be virtual learning for another year or two before I'd consider changing...

How is your daughter going to do her retirement? What happens to her pension? Is it a state system or is it run by social security there?

The opposite over here, Vee. Private school is where the money is. State schools are where the hard work, poor conditions and low pay are. A cousin left teaching a few years ago because of this.

I don't know about over there but I always viewed History as opponent doors into law and politics? It's for academics as a subject, it won't be teaching you how to do things in today's world, but it was a very interesting subject (for me) that underpinning other sectors.

Remember not to allow an Article 50 in your takeover so their can't be a Vee-exit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information