Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trivial bugbears

Trivial bugbears

This thread is partly influenced by the popular thread 'Trivial things that annoy you intensely' on Digital Spy, which, for better or worse, is now only available for historical 'archive' viewing.

Two of my personal biggest bugbears right now;

A. People who refer to the Celsius temperature scale as 'Centigrade', which is actually a misnomer, as the former is the correct term, but I reckon many people (especially the older generations) have been erroneously quoting the latter because both terms begin with the same letter C, and of course, usually stylised with the 'C' abbreviation, prefixed with the small ring 'degrees' symbol, which is no doubt where much of the confusion has arisen over the years.

B. The plethora of brand names in circulation, particularly in-store ones at retailers like Aldi, Lidl and Argos.

The latter retailer has been known to use 'historical' brand names that left the mainstream several years ago that (allegedly) have no relationship with the original firms bearing the same names, with such products now being BINO (Brand in name only).

I often find the in-store brand names at Aldi, Lidl, etc rather confusing, let alone obscure, as they're often notorious for chopping and changing stuff every so often, plus the former often sell 'lookalike' products under their own brands (e.g, crisps whose packaging and flavour colour-coding is modelled on Walker's).

Finally, when many people still refer to brands as 'makes', as in probably a large majority of cases nowadays, the 'brands' are no longer the actual product manufacturers, and just BINO!

Does anyone wish to share any of their minor irritations of life?

Re: Trivial bugbears

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    This thread is partly influenced by the popular thread 'Trivial things that annoy you intensely' on Digital Spy, which, for better or worse, is now only available for historical 'archive' viewing.

Two of my personal biggest bugbears right now;

A. People who refer to the Celsius temperature scale as 'Centigrade', which is actually a misnomer, as the former is the correct term, but I reckon many people (especially the older generations) have been erroneously quoting the latter because both terms begin with the same letter C, and of course, usually stylised with the 'C' abbreviation, prefixed with the small ring 'degrees' symbol, which is no doubt where much of the confusion has arisen over the years.

B. The plethora of brand names in circulation, particularly in-store ones at retailers like Aldi, Lidl and Argos.

The latter retailer has been known to use 'historical' brand names that left the mainstream several years ago that (allegedly) have no relationship with the original firms bearing the same names, with such products now being BINO (Brand in name only).

I often find the in-store brand names at Aldi, Lidl, etc rather confusing, let alone obscure, as they're often notorious for chopping and changing stuff every so often, plus the former often sell 'lookalike' products under their own brands (e.g, crisps whose packaging and flavour colour-coding is modelled on Walker's).

Finally, when many people still refer to brands as 'makes', as in probably a large majority of cases nowadays, the 'brands' are no longer the actual product manufacturers, and just BINO!

As a disclaimer, I wish to make it clear that I have absolutely no personal beef with specific individuals who still routinely use the term 'Centigrade'.

Dr JC does regularly on his YouTube videos, but I try to just let it go in the sense that he generally means well and virtually all other aspects of his presentations are excellent, even if a little 'off the wall' at times.

But that kind of adds to it being so special, spontaneous and more 'personal', as distinct from videos from others that are over-produced.

I say Celsius myself but I've heard others say centigrade before. What about centigrade is wrong?

I've noticed those "brands" in shops too where you try and look them up and they don't actually exist. It doesn't stop me buying them though because a lot of the time they're still really good.

The first two pet peeves of mine that spring to mind are both driving related. Lane hogs and people who don't indicate on roundabouts. You end up having to drive all the way around the lane hog (or just pass them on the left if you fancy it) or you end up sitting at the roundabout expecting them to cross you but they turn just before you instead. What a waste of 5 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo View Post
    I say Celsius myself but I've heard others say centigrade before. What about centigrade is wrong?
    Nothing whatsoever. It denotes - correctly - a hundred gradations in the range from the freezing point to the boiling point of water. It's only fairly recently that Anders Celsius has been honoured by the adoption of his name and it should be noted that Celsius's scale originally went from 100 (freezing) to 0 (boiling).

I still say "centigrade"!

See https://www.britannica.com/technolog...perature-scale
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 10-04-21 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Why?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Where does "bug" and "bear" come from in the word "bugbear"?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Why?

FMP
    +1

Maybe try and be less annoyed by trivial stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    +1

Maybe try and be less annoyed by trivial stuff.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Where does "bug" and "bear" come from in the word "bugbear"?
    I remember playing Dungeons & Dragons RPG many years ago and one of the monsters was a Bugbear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Nothing whatsoever. It denotes - correctly - a hundred gradations in the range from the freezing point to the boiling point of water. It's only fairly recently that Anders Celsius has been honoured by the adoption of his name and it should be noted that Celsius's scale originally went from 100 (freezing) to 0 (boiling).

I still say "centigrade"!

See https://www.britannica.com/technolog...perature-scale
    I think it's more that both terms are often used interchangeably which I have always found confusing. However, if you're accustomed to the term 'Centigrade' then that's entrely your choice!

Another one for me is that I got used into a mammoth disagreement with a classroom assistant at school back in the early 90s who always spelt 'potato', 'tomato', etc with an 'e' on the end, and when I told her it was incorrect she said 'how dare you!' and got extremely arsy with me over it!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information