Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Trivial bugbears

Re: Trivial bugbears

Why do I call everyone DUCK?. Thank you duck, hello duck, cherio duck. I must stop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x
    You come from Stoke don't you? Yes duck. ohhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Why do I call everyone DUCK?. Thank you duck, hello duck, cherio duck. I must stop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x
    You come from Stoke don't you? Yes duck. ohhhhhh
    Terry is from Stoke. I am from Tamworth, though I was actually born in West Bromwich, which borders the city of Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Terry is from Stoke. I am from Tamworth, though I was actually born in West Bromwich, which borders the city of Birmingham.
    I was born in West Bromwich too ... and it really bugs me when people lump me in as a Brummie. I am from the Black Country - different region, different accent and different language at times. At some point in the 1970s the local council tried to re-brand the area as Sandwell - no-one local has ever identified with it (it was the title of an aristocratic estate-owner and said estate fell into abeyance in the nineteenth century). If it 'aint broke don't fix it I say!)

Local councils just like to tinker ... and spend inordinate amount of public money to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    I was born in West Bromwich too ... and it really bugs me when people lump me in as a Brummie. I am from the Black Country - different region, different accent and different language at times. At some point in the 1970s the local council tried to re-brand the area as Sandwell - no-one local has ever identified with it (it was the title of an aristocratic estate-owner and said estate fell into abeyance in the nineteenth century). If it 'aint broke don't fix it I say!)

Local councils just like to tinker ... and spend inordinate amount of public money to no end.
    As I'm sure you already know full well, Sandwell is the name of the metropolitan borough which collectively covers the towns of WB, Wednesbury, Tipton, Oldbury, Smethwick, etc, and also (presumably) named after the Sandwell Valley, which is a mini-stretch of green belt that technically meets up with Barr Beacon which is in the neighbouring Metropolitan Borough of Walsall.

On a different note I visited Sutton Park on Sunday afternoon with a couple who are great friends of our family and it was like two different worlds, stepping from the mass built-up area of the West Midlands conurbation straight out into the sticks. Quite surreal in fact.

I was most surprised but encouraged to see quite a lot of people still toing and froing around said park, even at dusk when we were about to leave and drive back home.

But I guess it's an attraction for all times, whatever the weather, day or time of year, and I'd forgotten what a great amenity it is.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information