Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Trivial bugbears

Re: Trivial bugbears

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    And you forgot doctors and nurses with medical-related stuff?

Typical 'I'm always right and everyone else is always wrong', delusions of grandeur!
    Quite right. I'm one to trust medical professionals most of the time but I'm not too shy to get a second opinion if it's something I'm worried about. I feel quite relaxed when the doctor or nurse is happy to discuss possibilities with me or politely explain why my own suspicions are wrong (which I'd want them to do). I find it quite unprofessional when they're sharp or treat you like you're an idiot or only there because you're a MeNtAl CaSe! I have a little story you'll like:
    I went to the doctors and told her about a problem I had with my ears, I think they were hurting or something. She was huffing and puffing the whole time I was trying to speak, she was making it very obvious that she wasn't happy I was there and she couldn't be bothered doing her job properly. So she used the ear light thing and looked in my ear for a split second, it didn't even go all the way in then did the other one and confidently announced "no holes in your ear drums or anything". Well I do, in fact, have a hole in my ear drum that I've had since a young age. If she bothered to actually look properly she would've seen it as every doctor does when checking my ears. I told her I do have a hole in my ear drum so she looked again (actually looked this time) and saw it for herself. I have no idea what her problem was, why she didn't have the time for me or why she wouldn't take me seriously. I'd like to think that moment of embarrassment would help her take patients more seriously in future, but I somehow doubt that's the case. I worry how many other people she'd done this to who ended up being misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all.

Another one for me is a few people I know (or knew) whom I alerted to their shoe laces being undone whilst they were walking around, and they got really touchy and arsy with me as if they didn't even want to know. They all have untouchable 'hard man'-type tendencies anyway, and seem to revel in looking/ acting 'ard!

One of those was a male staff member at my old day centre who would woe betide us service users for breaking rules but he was notorious for breaking rules himself, especially driving their mini-bus like a lunatic, talking on his phone whilst driving, and even smoking whilst driving said vehicle with us service users in the back and other staff members (all of which were/are non-smokers) never even challenged him over it, and this was even as late as 2015!

When I mentioned that staff member's misdemeanours to the manager of said day centre, she said about 'trying to be more forgiving to people as times are hard right now'.

Sorry, but I'm sick to death of people using 'hard times' as a feeble excuse for bending the rules.

A 'cover-up' and 'can't be bothered' instance of the highest order!
    The kind to not wear a seatbelt without a good reason. I agree with you that people are using the pandemic as an excuse a little bit too much now. I understand the precautions most all take and that people are working home so that I don't take issue with. Half the time they blame the pandemic it seems completely irrelevant. Plus companies that have always had poor customer service suddenly have the perfect excuse for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Ah! Should that be American-isation or American-ization? A load of etymological hoo-ha has been going on forever about the use of ‘ise’ or ‘ize’. But, Anglo, I agree that the Amirkins have been subverting the English language since Daniel Webster rewrote the dictionary in 1828. Antsy Vee, Fishmanpa, Noivous, et al… please feel free to make polite comments and contradictions.

“Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language.” said (possibly) George Bernard Shaw – an Irishman.
    I speak to Americans quite a lot and I'm surprised at how many "British words" weren't used in the US or had a different meaning.

Another thing that really jars on me is when people incorrectly refer to certain West Midlands' towns as part of Birmingham, e.g, Solihull, which despite bordering said city, isn't and never has been part of it.

A few people over the years have also incorrectly suffixed my town (Tamworth) with Birmingham or West Midlands instead of Staffordshire in written addresses, which really made me want to flip out, especially as some of the original senders were actually Midlands-based, so therefore appeared to be living under a rock!

Ditto for neighbouring Lichfield, which has also been known to be suffixed incorrectly with Birmingham or West Midlands, again instead of Staffordshire in written addresses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoity-toity or anti-Brummy in any way, but I just happen to have a bit of an obsession with people not getting the facts straight in such cases.

Another thing that really jars on me is when people incorrectly refer to certain West Midlands' towns as part of Birmingham, e.g, Solihull, which despite bordering said city, isn't and never has been part of it.

A few people over the years have also incorrectly suffixed my town (Tamworth) with Birmingham or West Midlands instead of Staffordshire in written addresses, which really made me want to flip out, especially as some of the original senders were actually Midlands-based, so therefore appeared to be living under a rock!

Ditto for neighbouring Lichfield, which has also been known to be suffixed incorrectly with Birmingham or West Midlands, again instead of Staffordshire in written addresses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoity-toity or anti-Brummy in any way, but I just happen to have a bit of an obsession with people not getting the facts straight in such cases.
    We do this as do many around here. It's because Brum is a big city so we tend to say "that's Birmingham isn't it?" but we know it's a separate entity.

Many will call us Stoke not realising that's one town with SOT. An old, neglected smaller place that's died off as Hanley became the new CBD over decades.

The same with Newcastle except that retained its status. Overshadowed by the big Newcastle everyone will know.

As pulisa explained in the other thread these inaccuracies get to you but try to remember people don't always do it out of ignorance and it may be more a local cultural thing. You won't be the only one they upset in some way either, Geordies are all lumped together despite local rivalries e.g. maccams. People sometimes think I'm a Scouser because of a (perceived) similarity in accents despite them being nothing like us in how we talk.

Another one of mine of late is old signage being left up that's no longer relevant, such as at certain premises of whom previous occupants have long since vacated, but the old signage (often complete with phone numbers, website addresses, etc) still remaining fully or partially intact, even when and where the same premises have new occupants.

Also road signage pointing in the direction of places/facilities that closed down years ago (e.g, certain public toilet blocks, 'So-And-So' Hotel/pub, shop, etc) really jars on me.

Just down the road from where we live there's a big banner attached to some railings at a set of traffic lights advertising an event that took place at the beginning of August, and it still remains up now in early November, 3 months after the event concerned came and went.

Ditto for those who leave up For Sale/Sold/To Let boards for ages after first moving into their home/premises.

My dad just dismisses these concerns of mine with clichés like 'people are people' and 'everyone has a right to make mistakes', etc, especially when they're stressed out.

Whilst I totally understand the stress 'epidemic' in today's society, what about those who aren't actually stressed (or skint) but simply have a 'can't be bothered' attitude?

what about those who aren't actually stressed (or skint) but simply have a 'can't be bothered' attitude?
    That's my attitude. I can't be bothered by such 'Trivial Bugbears'. There are much more important, valuable and positive things to life than irrelevant trivial bugbears and trite things for they are just that. To concern yourself with them is your issue.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's my attitude. I can't be bothered by such 'Trivial Bugbears'. There are much more important, valuable and positive things to life than irrelevant trivial bugbears and trite things for they are just that. To concern yourself with them is your issue.

FMP
    So you basically don't care about things like obsolete signage (and sometimes false advertising) then, which signifies unprofessionalism for many businesses, organisations, etc, and may cause confusion for persons who may not be aware of the fact that they're no longer in existence, etc?

But hey ho, that's the way of the world today and I should therefore simply 'get a life'!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 03-11-21 at 13:30.

So you basically don't care about things like obsolete signage (and sometimes false advertising) then, which signifies unprofessionalism for many businesses, organisations, etc, and may cause confusion for persons who may not be aware of the fact that they're no longer in existence, etc?

But hey ho, that's the way of the world today and I should therefore simply 'get a life'!
    Exactly!

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

On my record player when the auto-return cycle sometimes randomly fails to function at the end of a record side with the stylus staying put in the locked groove and the deck still rotating, though it's only occasionally and not really a fault with the unit.

[QUOTE=Anglo;1999712]You see, I don't like Americanisation. Hearing Brits refer to the bonnet as a hood or seeing color instead of colour on hair products does wind me up. I'm torn because I know that language naturally evolves and English wasn't always spelt the way we spell now so there's nothing abnormal about our language evolving to use American words and spellings but I can't help but be that little bit irritated when I see it. Hearing the pronunciation of English swear words or place names butchered by an American accent also gets me - of course I understand it's not actually bad or personal and all that sensible stuff. It's just another thing that I pretend to not be bothered by!

Whilst I am never intentionally racist (and I totally deplore racism in general), nor do I have any beef with Jamaicans as a whole, 'Jafaican' patois talk by certain White British teenagers really grates on me, especially those who are trying to look and sound 'ard and 'street'!

I don't seem to hear it from the local yoof in my area so much these days, but some 15 years ago, especially at the height of 'chav' culture, such lingo seemed almost ubiquitous from youngsters, despite their not being many Black persons in my area.

Also makes a mockery of and does a blatant disservice to 'genuine' Black/Jamaican people IMO, who far outnumber the 'bad 'uns'.

Also, 'chav' culture in general and the moral panics associated with it appear to have lessened over the past decade or so, which I think was largely hyped up by the media at the time.

However, I seriously reiterate that this isn't intended as an insult to Black/ Jamaican persons.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 13-11-21 at 12:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo View Post
    The kind to not wear a seatbelt without a good reason. I agree with you that people are using the pandemic as an excuse a little bit too much now. I understand the precautions most all take and that people are working home so that I don't take issue with. Half the time they blame the pandemic it seems completely irrelevant. Plus companies that have always had poor customer service suddenly have the perfect excuse for it.
    I remember many people did similar things during the Global Financial Crisis, especially those who always had a 'can't be bothered' attitude anyway, but suddenly had the perfect excuse and justification for it from 2008 onwards, and of course 'it's the cuts wot made me do it', blame game thing, etc.

There were (and still are) many adamant that the GFC was caused by Gordon Brown and Co, and as some kind of 'cover-up' for perceived incompetence during the then-govt's first decade of office, when in actual fact it was a 'global' crisis that actually affected some other countries far worse than the UK, nor did said crisis actually originate in the UK, despite numerous conspiracy theories that have abounded.

As I've already said before in other threads on here, Blair and Co also got it in the neck over the Foot and Mouth Crisis in 2001, with numerous myths and conspiracy theories also abounding at the time that they allegedly 'concocted' said crisis to put farmers out of business (and inadvertently businesses in the worst affected rural communities that were in lockdown at the time due to said crisis) plus the usual BS about 'controlling the population'.

And the latter was still before social media became a thing, but still proved that misinformation, fake news and conspiracy theories in general were already a thing long before the latter half of the 2010s, but most ordinary folks just seemed indifferent towards a lot of it prior to many of the infamous events that have happened from about 2016 onwards.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information