Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jury Service

Re: Jury Service

Tons of useful advice here, thanks! Going to bring a water bottle, snacks, a power bank for my phone and a couple of paperbacks, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I was called for it in the 90s but true to form I bottled it. I was working then too.
    I got called not long after my relapse so had to go that route. But these days the forms ask if you are under care for mental health reasons and they just exempt you.

Blue, my mum went through it and never got called. It is a lot of waiting around and as Carnation says there are strict rules to follow but you like organisation so that won't bother you.

A book, doodling, etc is a good idea. You might lose your work structure but isn't work in your head too? What I mean is just because you aren't in the office doesn't mean you can't spend time working through areas of projects with pen & paper if that helps restore some normality?

Just remember, no booing when they lead Boris Johnson into the box

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just remember, no booing when they lead Boris Johnson into the box
    Spoilsport! Next thing you know you'll be telling me I can't throw eggs!

The work thing is a really good idea, actually, I have a bunch of Office software on my phone so I can use OneNote to work on my next teaching assignment.

Honestly, I'm mostly just sulking because it's the Easter holidays and I was looking forward to my fortnight off

I've never been called for Jury Service but you've had some really good advice here, Blue and if you're selected I'm sure you'd be an excellent asset to the team.

My dad was a legal eagle at the Old Bailey and once got a family friend removed from the jury because he knew him..The friend was totally oblivious to this and thought that he'd committed a crime as he'd been disqualified! He was relieved when all was explained afterwards!

I got called up for that and was gutted that I couldn't do it. Would of been really interesting for me I think.

I found it quite exhausting, probably because of the hanging around and then if you are picked you remain super alert to listen to the evidence
    I was at the Old Bailey so I suppose it was going to be more intense.

Here in the states, they love to assign teachers to trials :/ I've manage to escape getting on a jury, but lots of my co-workers have been on them. They like teachers because we're educated, usually civic minded, but we're used to being trampled by bureaucracy and our districts give us time off for jury duty (even though the students suffer by having a sub). If you don't want to be on a trial, don't volunteer the info that you are a teacher unless directly asked...that's my advice!

Given how people have described it, I'd probably try and find some kind of online course to do and take a laptop to do it on.

I'm way ahead of you, Joe, will be working on my current assignment for my teacher training course.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm way ahead of you, Joe, will be working on my current assignment for my teacher training course.
    Nice one, ideal.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information