Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jury Service

Re: Jury Service

I hope the bracelets help. The situation does sound claustrophobic but you are doing brilliantly in finding ways around it.

Can you also try the mindfulness 5 things too maybe? It’ll get a bit repetitive but you could mix it up.

So 5 things you can see
    4 things you can hear
    3 things you can touch
    2 things you can smell
    1 thing you can taste

You could change it to things about the people in the room - 5 people wearing earrings, 4 people wearing black, 3 people with brown hair, 2 people who are fidgeting, 1 person who you would like to be friends with. Etc etc etc. Make up some games to distract yourself.

Don’t worry about the appetite, it will come back. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole perspex box thing, tight space and chair sounds - challenging - urgh. Have you tried those fiddle items you can get on a huge global online site - there used to just be the fiddle cubes, but there are now lovely varied assorted 3D shapes with a multitude of different things to fiddle with in the palm of your hand, and those magnetic rings that you play around with. If interested let me know and I can PM links, they work for our household (those what need them).

Oh I’ve got one of the fiddle cubes, love it! Also those little fiddle rings, do you mean the ones that are a bit scratchy too?

Hi Blue, sounds like a combination of the nature of the case and the perspex cubicle which are the main factors for your anxiety and feeling generally uncomfortable.
    I see you've had some good advice from members.
    I use the rubber bands on the wrist too. A necklace also helps to twiddle with. It's all about keeping your hands busy. Rings on fingers are also a distraction.
    With the perspex cubicle which I wouldn't like either, maybe you could do some meditation in the evening and imagine you are a Celebrity on a panel as you imagine going to your seat ready to judge. It might help physiologically. You've got through one day and on your second so you're half way through. Try to look it like that. Friday is not normally a long day and most of that will be in the jurors room as a norm.
    Think of it as a challenge and think of rewards you can give yourself when it is over. x

Today is a bit better, thanks, we're bonding as a jury and it really helps to know that many people are having trouble.

Doing a really fancy online beading class on Saturday, and in the meantime I may be able to manage that Korean takeaway tonight. It's quite good because if you want, you can just get soups or grilled meats with rice and salad.

That's good to hear Blue
    I'm presuming it's the lunch hour at the Court.
    I was about to mention that as time passes you will be speaking more with your fellow jurors and the fact they may be feeling the same as you will give you the comfort you need. x

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Today is a bit better, thanks, we're bonding as a jury and it really helps to know that many people are having trouble.

Doing a really fancy online beading class on Saturday, and in the meantime I may be able to manage that Korean takeaway tonight. It's quite good because if you want, you can just get soups or grilled meats with rice and salad.
    Korean takeaway sounds perfect.
    And yes, you’re never the only one feeling that way x

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    They did. Avoiding specifics, it's pretty grim, and being sat in perspex cubicles all day listening to the details is really doing me no good at all.

Feeling properly sick this morning at the thought of going back. I need to find some coping strategies as I'm back to skin picking again and I think people may have noticed.
    Ask the judge or baliff if you're allowed to take notes. You can doodle on a notepad (or take the notes if you want to be a good student .

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I hope the bracelets help. The situation does sound claustrophobic but you are doing brilliantly in finding ways around it.

Can you also try the mindfulness 5 things too maybe? It’ll get a bit repetitive but you could mix it up.

So 5 things you can see
    4 things you can hear
    3 things you can touch
    2 things you can smell
    1 thing you can taste

You could change it to things about the people in the room - 5 people wearing earrings, 4 people wearing black, 3 people with brown hair, 2 people who are fidgeting, 1 person who you would like to be friends with. Etc etc etc. Make up some games to distract yourself.

Don’t worry about the appetite, it will come back. X

There are also specific Mindfulness example exercises relating to touch that are learnt early on in practice. Is it rough or smooth, does the texture change, where does the shape change, how do you feel when you touch It, etc.

It's far from ideal being enclosed in a box for many of us. You are doing really well, Blue. Wanted to move is just a natural response to the chemicals in you that there to encourage you to move, fight or flight. You can't do some gentle exercise to help so it's going to be down to more mental work with this.

If you feel it building you could try intently focussing on an object for a few minutes. It's a bit of a distraction technique. It worked for me when I had a tooth removed at one of the worst stages of my anxiety.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information