Thread: Worried about covid vaccine tomorrow and palpitations

Worried about covid vaccine tomorrow and palpitations

Hi, I'm going for my first covid jab tomorrow and I'm feeling utterly terrified. I'm scared of having any medications or substances put into my body as it is but with all the media events over the safety of the vaccine and some people choosing not to be vaccinated is really adding to my anxiety.

I'm worried about the general side effects that I've heard about from relatives and friends who have had it but then I've read about it causing palpitations. I suffer with PVCS and PACS, sometimes in runs and am also convinced I have episodes of SVT too which I am being referred back to cardiology for (at my request).

Basically I am terrified that having the vaccine is going to throw my heart into some crazy rhythm and I'll end up in hospital. The thought of it causing my heart to start going funny is making my anxiety go through the roof. I've tried researching whether it's safe for arrhythmia patients but can't find anything substational and I'm aware that too much digging will turn up some scary article.

Two of my close relatives died from covid in February so I want to vaccine to be safe. Most people are having it and it's our way out of this pandemic but,at the same time, with my health anxiety it's really scaring me at the thought of experiencing horrible side effects.

Can any help me please?

Re: Worried about covid vaccine tomorrow and palpitations

Honeyskye YOU are exactly like me, right down to the palpitations ectopics and abject fear of medications. As you know I've also, I believe, had a couple of SVT (one 3 days before the vaccine), as I think you replied on a thread of mine. I had the covid vaccine 3 weeks ago, but I assure you my terror was immense and I lost 10 lbs in the two weeks leading up to it PM message me, if you'd like to and we can talk through my experience.

I suffer with PVCS and PACS, sometimes in runs and am also convinced I have episodes of SVT too
    SAme
    Last edited by Carys; 06-04-21 at 15:00.

I will add a reply here too, for anyone else reading. I had no palpitations, heart irregularity/changes at all, and nothing that felt like SVT either during or in the days after. My PVCS and PCAS were, and always have been tied to my stomach and digestion, and of course my terror, dodgy stomach, and holding my muscles tight in the stomach area, were making them worse leading up to the vaccine. I told the nurse I was terrified of anaphylaxis, having never had any sort of medicine allergy in my whole life She was very kind, and she and the health care assistant in the booth reassured me and distracted me. I reassured myself by reminding myself that I was surrounded by medical staff, so, if there was going to be any sort of reaction at all - they could and would deal with it, effectively. It didn't help that somebody opposite me fainted a couple of minutes before, as had a needle phobia (which I don't have) and I presumed allergic reaction - which it wasn't of course. Millions and millions have had it, nobody has dropped dead and I'll be honest I've heard of absolutely nobody talk about heart palpitations. It doesn't work on that principle, a vaccine, and doesn't interact with the cardiac system.I won't deny it took every ounce of my reserves and willpower to walk in and get it done, but boy am I glad I did, and you will feel the same way.

Hi Carys, thank you SO much for your reply. It's comforting to hear you have the same fear as me and have had the vaccine. It helps a lot. I have been worried all day and know I'll be a bag of nerves tomorrow. I never used to be like this. I think I have googled too much in recent years and that is half the trouble...

Honeyskye,

As I've posted on other similar threads, I can assure you that at worst, you may have a sore arm and feel kinda yuck for a couple of days. Really no different than the flu vaccine. You'll be fine, hang in there.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Feel free to PM me if you want to, I'm happy to listen and allay your fears if I can. You will honestly feel so good after having got it done, having faced your fears and achieved some protection from this awful illness.

Hi all, just had my vaccine. Was really anxious. Told the nurse about my health anxiety and fear of anything going in my body and side effects and she said they were here to make us better, not ill.

About 15 mins after the vaccine my heart rate was faster and I had several skips and thuds. I'm panicking it's because of the vaccine but I'm not sure if it's adrenaline from the anxiety.

Carys, how do I PM you?

I'm panicking it's because of the vaccine but I'm not sure if it's adrenaline from the anxiety.
    Correct ! Its adrenaline, from the extreme anxiety, thats all, accept it......Fight or flight scenario. You stayed to 'fight'

Click on my name, click on 'view profile', then somewhere under it on the left it says 'message' someone, or something like that, I can't remember lol

COngratulations on getting it done ! What a star ! Now, over the course of the day you will find out that your heart is not in any way affected at all
    Last edited by Carys; 07-04-21 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyskye View Post
    Hi all, just had my vaccine. Was really anxious. Told the nurse about my health anxiety and fear of anything going in my body and side effects and she said they were here to make us better, not ill.

About 15 mins after the vaccine my heart rate was faster and I had several skips and thuds. I'm panicking it's because of the vaccine but I'm not sure if it's adrenaline from the anxiety.

Carys, how do I PM you?
    Honeyskye you’re definitely not alone in your fears. I’ve had both Pfizer vaccines and I can (try to) assure you that any random skips or thuds you’re experiencing are almost 100% due to the anxiety surrounding the whole process and not the vaccine. I get skips/thuds sometimes as well and mine were not made any worse by the vax. I had a few with the first jab but that’s because I was so anxious and nervous to get it in the first place. I didn’t have any at all with my second jab.

Good going in fighting through your fears!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information