Thread: Had testicular ultrasound, but worried it was incorrect

Exclamation Testicular ultrasound tomorrow: Will everything show up?

I’m having a testicular ultrasound tomorrow and am incredibly stressed about it.
    I’ve been worried about several very tiny small lumps for the last three years. My GP said he wouldn’t ordinarily have referred me for them after giving me an examination the other day, but did so to help my anxiety surrounding it.

I’m having the test for two reasons: the first s what I think are several tiny micro-calcifications. Theres a few and they’re all on the surface under the first layer of skin on the testicle (I know because they move around to different places).

The second reason is for another very tiny lump that I can barely feel (and no one would be able to feel but me) which is a little bit deeper, but still within the layers of skin (so not growing out of the testicle, extratesticular I think they’re called which are rarely cancerous).

Other than worrying about the procedure in general, I’m stressed the second little lump won’t be picked up. The problem is, one of the micro-calcification things has moved directly on top of where this lump is.

because the micro-calcifications are solid and from what I’ve read would show up white (the second lump doesn’t feel solid like that) I’m worried this calcification that’s on top of the second lump is going to obscure it, and it won’t show up on the test when it might be serious.

I’m less stressed about the micro-calcifications because they’re free moving, so what I was really hoping the ultrasound would illuminate this second lump. But if one of the calcifications is on top of it, might the second lump just not show up?

How does it work? Can things be obscured? I thought finally I might be able to put this fear to bed but now I’m just stressing what I’m worried about won’t even show.

Many thanks.

Re: Testicular ultrasound tomorrow: Will everything show up?

Just based on your post history, I'm quite sure all will be fine. The question is, will you be satisfied and seek help for the real problem?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Testicular ultrasound tomorrow: Will everything show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Just based on your post history, I'm quite sure all will be fine. The question is, will you be satisfied and seek help for the real problem?

FMP
    I’d ordinarily be very satisfied with an ultrasound, but now that I’m worried stuff won’t show up I’m much less so. I’m currently on some new medication and am going to go with some private ERP therapy.

I just really hoped I’d at least be able to put this particular fear behind me.

Thanks.

Exclamation Had testicular ultrasound, but worried it was incorrect

I had a testicular ultrasound about a month ago after being able to feel several little calcifications, and something else more rubbery under the skin of the testicle.

I worried about it for a good couple of years before getting an ultrasound and nothing grew or anything in that time.
    I had the ultrasound and she told me both looked normal, and she could see a couple of microcalcifications but they weren’t of concern as they were extra testicular, meaning they reside on the outside of the skin.

she turned the screen around to show me, and indeed, I could see what she was talking about.

I was really reassured, but since then the fears have started to creep back in. The scan only showed one or two of these things and I’ve always been able to feel several more along with something else that didn’t show up on the scan (the more rubbery thing). The skin in the area is odd; sometimes I can feel these things really clearly and other times it’s as if they’ve disappeared.

when I went for the scan, I could only really feel the ones that showed up on the scan but I knew there was other stuff that I could feel at other times depending on how the skin was, but the scan didn’t show many of those!

now I’m worried that there are still things that could be cancerous or turn cancerous but that they just didn’t show up on the scan. Can this happen? Could they have just been too small to show up? Maybe because the skin changes they were obscured on the scan?

Also, the particular cancer I’m worried I have is this incredibly rare one that occurs on the skin around the testicle rather than from within. Because the ultrasound was looking through the testicle on the side plane, maybe lumps in the layers of skin were just too hard for it to detect, but that they are in fact cancerous (like that more rubbery one. It’s very small and between the layers of the skin, but she couldn’t see that on the scan - only these larger microcalcifications). Only 200 people or so have ever had this rare cancer in the world, but maybe that’s further reason for why it wouldn’t be detected on the scan, because it’s so rare they don’t know what to look for.

all of these things are very small and I’m the only one that can feel them because of that (the doctor couldn’t feel them and only really sent me for the ultrasound because of my anxiety).

thanks.
    Last edited by LG18; 30-05-21 at 11:11.

Re: Had testicular ultrasound, but worried it was incorrect

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Had testicular ultrasound, but worried it was incorrect

I don't think you have anything to worry about. These doctors are experts. If they say you don't have cancer, you should believe them. There are some people who would give anything to have a negative cancer ultrasound.

Thread Information