Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a rough week, now worried for daughter

Having a rough week, now worried for daughter

I'm having a bit of a wobble today and I can't put myself on the right track.
    I've been working on some cbt myself the past few weeks and I have been able to put it into practice. Working through it myself has stopped me from posting here recently, and that for me is a step in the right direction. But I'm struggling at the moment. I haven't been well for the past week, have spent most of it on the flat of my back in a lot of pain. And this is effecting my HA.

My daughter (13) had a weird period a few months ago, where it stopped for a few days and started again for another few days. I worried a bit at the time but let it go.
    She said something in passing this evening that's giving me the impression it's happened again now. Period had stopped and then started again. I know periods can be a bit all over the place, especially in the first year. Is stopping / starting one of those irregularities? I want to think there is an innocent explanation for this but my HA mind is going down the usual cancer road.
    I'm disgusted it's getting to me like this, but I'm so miserable this past week I'm not surprised.

Re: Having a rough week, now worried for daughter

Totally normal

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

She’s only 13! It can take a while for periods to “settle” in to some kind of regularity. Body is still going through a great deal of change, and will do for a few years yet.

i wouldn’t worry. I would ask her to track her periods though so she can start to see some kind of pattern.

She’s only 13! It can take a while for periods to “settle” in to some kind of regularity. Body is still going through a great deal of change, and will do for a few years yet.

i wouldn’t worry. I would ask her to track her periods though so she can start to see some kind of pattern.

Honestly your daughters periods are going to be all over the place. She's only 13. I remember mine being exactly like that, and it still is at almost 30 years old!

Thanks for your responses.
    I'm feeling a little more at ease about it tonight. I know periods can be all over the place for the first few years and she's not even a year into them yet.
    I just hadn't heard of it finishing and starting again a few days later (at her age) and it kind of freaked me out. That on top of my extreme pain and exhaustion from the past week. I think my HA was just waiting to jump on something

I'm back worrying about this again. I know I got reassurance the last time and I have been working on cbt myself which is helping a little bit with worries about me but I can't seem to snap out of it with my daughter.
    She got a period about 12 days ago and it lasted the usual couple of days. But I just went to empty the bin in her bathroom and saw that she's using her sanitary towels again. I don't know how heavy or anything it is but this is practically mid cycle.
    It's frightening me but I don't want to say it to her to pass on my worry. I don't think anything like this ever happened to me when I was her age.
    I did do a little bit of googling about teenage periods, especially the first year or two. One site, which was very good at explaining everything, just mentioned a few things to look out for and bleeding in between periods was one of them.
    But what's really in the back of my mind is that when I was about 16, a girl in my class in school was getting tested for overian cancer. I don't know anything about her symptoms and I'm not even sure what was ever diagnosed.
    Is this just me over reacting, again?

What do you think, BG?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    What do you think, BG?
    I think that I can't think rationally about this and really hope that these thoughts are just anxiety induced thoughts!

If I knew what might be causing it, then that would be a help to me. I understand fairly well how periods work so when she got her period 12 days ago, that was the lining of her uterus breaking off. So what could cause a bleed (and I don't think it's a heavy one) about a week after her period stops?
    I will admit that I probably don't fully understand how hormones exactly work in our bodies and effect our monthly cycle. You think I would after all these years of having them myself!!!
    I'm just struggling with this one at the moment so sorry if I'm coming across as being ridiculous (cause I know it's not the first time I've had irrational thoughts)

It can take several years for the cycle to become a cycle ! She clearly isn't in a regular 'cycle' so using the word 'mid cycle' is errenous. Some people never do become regular and remain irregular, but the majority will eventually settle. Longer cycle length, longer bleeds, spots, on off bleeding, missed periods and so on in puberty are to be expected. Its as simple as that, its puberty, its hormones.

If I knew what might be causing it, then that would be a help to me.
    You DO KNOW what is causing it, why are you saying you don't ? - irregular hormones, the same as irregular hormones cause bleeding /period changes at the end of the reproductive years. The same irregular hormones often cause irregular bleeding for women who come off the contraceptive pill. Why are you searching for a different reason, when there is already the same reason that applies to other teenagers ? Right, that is your cbt rationalising done for you , now you need to use the information everyone has given to assist yourself.

Make sure your daughter feels confident in coming to talk to you, in a 'non stressy/anxious way' if she needs to, and perhaps she can have a nice 'light' conversation with you so that you don't need to be knowing what is going on by checking in the bins.
    Last edited by Carys; 07-05-21 at 16:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information