Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed post-lockdown restrictions on phones in schools

Proposed post-lockdown restrictions on phones in schools

I know this particular issue doesn't affect me personally, but there is an article on the BBC website today about Gavin Williamson proposing restrictions on pupils carrying or at least using their phones on school premises, due to potential fears of discipline problems attributed to the recent lockdowns.

I'm kind of 'on the fence' over this.

Whilst one half of me believes that many kids have in many ways become far too embroiled in such devices in general over the past 15 years or so, and can be detrimental to and unhealthy for them, even when not at school, when used to excess, the other half of me believes that that same policy could be a bit too draconian and potentially unworkable in practice, plus likely cause even more polarisation between pupils and teachers.

Also discipline problems amongst school kids in general have been known to exist in various forms for eons, and if it wasn't phones it would probably be other things that would be 'scapegoated'.

Back in my day (in the 80s and early 90s) it was Walkman cassette players/ portable boomboxes and even watching TV excessively that were often blamed for corrupting school kids and causing their brains to become addled!

Re: Proposed post-lockdown restrictions on phones in schools

My lad has a phone, but it isn't a smartphone. He keeps it on him so I or mom can call him. He's only 13 though. I see so many children gazing into their phone screens constantly. It's horrible. My nephew came once and was on his phone the entire time here, now he leaves it at home when he comes and he's a different kid. I do feel smartphones, and the Internet, isn't a thing young teenagers should be focusing on.

In terms of music influencing behaviors ... it's true. Take a look at the UK Drill genre where rappers rap about killing rival gang members. Rappers from the scene are always getting caught up in dramas, either they've stabbed or killed somebody, or they've been killed. A lot of young people will listen to this and be inspired by it.

17 year old rapper got done for murder recently. Video of him getting arrested at airport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJtL9kzPWs4

Video of the stabbing: https://twitter.com/mrloqa/status/11...578881?lang=en

Just one of many. Look at the comments with how many young people are saying "free scarz". Scarz was his rapper name. The youth are desensitized because of the Internet.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 10-04-21 at 14:43.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I'm all for restrictions on students using phones while on school grounds, but not if it's during their free time. I don't believe that they should be restricted altogether. First of all, policing that would be a headache and a half. Second, parents want their children to have their phones with them, so it's kind of an uphill battle from that end as well. It's just not realistic to say no phones, ever. It's certainly realistic, though, to expect them to not pull their phones out in class.

Kids are already restricted from using phones on school grounds. It's not really news.

Quote Originally Posted by KallaMouse View Post
    I'm all for restrictions on students using phones while on school grounds, but not if it's during their free time. I don't believe that they should be restricted altogether. First of all, policing that would be a headache and a half. Second, parents want their children to have their phones with them, so it's kind of an uphill battle from that end as well. It's just not realistic to say no phones, ever. It's certainly realistic, though, to expect them to not pull their phones out in class.
    Agreed. It's also good that they learn this for their later working life where this is standard policy.

I'm 'old' and we didn't have any of these things when I was growing up. My parents would basically let us go out all day as kids as long as we were home for dinner and/or before dark. We walked to school with 6" of snow on the ground and you were considered privileged to have a color TV when you were a kid. Heck, I remember staying up late and listening to the National Anthem before the channel signed off for the night!

Now? It seems everyone is always looking down at their phones. Young, old and everything in between. It's become the 'posture' of modern society and there are actual physical ailments associated with it on top of injuries and fatalities it's caused due to the distraction of constantly looking at them!

I have a smart phone. I believe most of us do at this point and yes, there are features and apps that make our lives much more convenient but I can tell you for me personally, it's still a phone and a means of communication as opposed to a way of life.

While I agree with letting kids have phones, they need to be on silent and not looked at or used while in class. School is for learning and one needs to be focused on the task at hand as opposed to who posted what on the internet!

Positive thoughts

Good Lord! I sound like my parents! ~lol~
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'm 'old' and we didn't have any of these things when I was growing up. My parents would basically let us go out all day as kids as long as we were home for dinner and/or before dark. We walked to school with 6" of snow on the ground and you were considered privileged to have a color TV when you were a kid. Heck, I remember staying up late and listening to the National Anthem before the channel signed off for the night!
    Very similar situation to my childhood then. When I was young (early 1970s) it was only those who lived in council houses or were loaded that could afford a colour TV: here in the UK Radio 4 still plays the National Anthem at just before 1 a.m., when it closes down for just over four hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I have a smart phone. I believe most of us do at this point
    Not me sir. My younger brother is so annoyed with his iPhone that he now owns a 8310. He only uses the iPhone to update Twitter and Instagram because he's a musician.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Very similar situation to my childhood then. When I was young (early 1970s) it was only those who lived in council houses or were loaded that could afford a colour TV: here in the UK Radio 4 still plays the National Anthem at just before 1 a.m., when it closes down for just over four hours.
    How could people in council houses afford color TV? I had a black and white TV in my room in 1994 Edit: I had it until 1999.

Remember when you could buy a TV by topping up the box at the side. My uncle had one and I remember having to run next door to borrow a pound for the telly.

☪️️

I have a smartphone and I used it every day, all day. Here's why:

1. Alarm clock.
    2. Weather and news
    3. Music while I'm getting ready.
    4. Pop-up reminders so I don't forget something before I leave the house.
    5. Directions and music while driving to my destination.
    6. Reading my e-book during lunch.
    7. Ordering my groceries online.
    8. Pulling up a recipe for dinner.
    9. Casting a show to the TV to watch after dinner.
    10. Googling something my husband said that I don't want to let on I didn't know the meaning of. (This happens more than I care to admit.)
    11. Setting a timer so I don't burn the blueberry cobbler.
    12. Looking at the stars and using the app on my phone to learn what constellation I'm looking at.
    13. Playing some crossword puzzles before bed.

I've replaced an alarm clock, newspapers, cable TV, radio, post-it notes, dictionary, kitchen timer, puzzle book, book, grocery shopping, recipe book, maps, and star charts. That's pretty much an average day, minus the need for maps and star charts. So while I get it and agree that there is a danger to the overuse of certain apps available on smartphones, I think it's also usually the people who don't really use smartphones who romanticize the time before. Because honestly, they're just really, really useful.

Now, social media....that's​ the devil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information