Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Proposed post-lockdown restrictions on phones in schools

Re: Proposed post-lockdown restrictions on phones in schools

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Terry, are you in my brain? I was thinking about Steptoe and Son yesterday. I do love the episodes.
    Yes, you might have got rid of your phone but Wallace & Gromit have built me a device to get into your brain

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo View Post
    Maybe the compromise would be to supply tablets or phones for pupils to use in class which are locked down to block social media, then ban them from using their own phones. That way they can still access music to listen to whilst working and are still taught how to research online effectively. Children need to be learn how to use technology, use it well and use it responsibly. If they can be taught this in the classroom then all the better.
    This already happens. Children have access to all the tech they need during school hours, and they do not need access to smart devices for any reason.

And yes, that's what parents are for.

I think it's all a typical 'beat around the bush' situation.

Thus, damned if do, damned if don't!

There is an argument for children having a phone on the way to and from school. During school they are looked after. There is no reason for them to have a phone IN school, in the same way there's no reason for them to have a Playstation, TV or any other kind of distracting device.

There's no argument here......in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    There is an argument for children having a phone on the way to and from school. During school they are looked after. There is no reason for them to have a phone IN school, in the same way there's no reason for them to have a Playstation, TV or any other kind of distracting device.

There's no argument here......in my opinion.
    You have a valid point there AJ.

Perhaps a secure phone bay of some sort in every (form) classroom is in order.

But even that idea as per usual will no doubt get pooh-poohed as impracticable!

It will help get them used to the working world where phones aren't allowed and possessions are often stowed until breaks or you leave.

Massive bugbear for managers, not just teachers. People sit fiddling on Facebook. Managers do it too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

Perhaps a secure phone bay of some sort in every (form) classroom is in order.
    Again, this is already in place. They have lockers which they have to put their phones in at the start of each day.

Another reason why the article itself is non-news.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It will help get them used to the working world where phones aren't allowed and possessions are often stowed until breaks or you leave.

Massive bugbear for managers, not just teachers. People sit fiddling on Facebook. Managers do it too though.
    This isn't necessarily always the case. I've had jobs where you can sit on your phone at your desk and go on social media and I've had jobs where you're not even allowed your phone on the floor, let alone out in front of you. I've never liked hypocrisy and managers using their phones for entertainment or personal reasons when their staff can't does get to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information