Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic attack lasted an hour almost called ambulance

Panic attack lasted an hour almost called ambulance

I don't know what's up with me at the moment but I get tachycardia daily. Just had the worst episode. I think it was anxiety because I had a feeling of "I can't control what is going on". My heartrate was beating very fast. I counted it at 174bpm.

It then went down to around 140 where it remained for 30 minutes. For the next 30 minutes it went down to 112bpm. And finally it's back to normal 80bpm.

But wtf?! I'm confused as to whether that was anxiety, or the fast heart rate caused the anxiety. I was just watching something when it happened.

I honestly thought I was a goner. I couldn't find any position that was relaxing. I could feel my heartbeat pounding away all over my body. There was no escape from it. And it's impossible to remain calm like that. I looked in the mirror and looked pale, and my mouth felt dry. Freaked out even more.

It's getting me depressed because now I fear this will keep happening at least once a day. I'd rather not be alive than go through anxiety and tachycardia every single day like this. Horrendous.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 09-04-21 at 21:10.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Panic attack lasted an hour almost called ambulance

Concerned it's SVT because SVT HR's are usually between 150bpm and 250bpm (holy bejebus! I couldn't imagine 250bpm).

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Don't overthink it bud.

I've spent 36 hours like that, several times.

What's going on is the same stuff that was a few weeks ago.

36 hours with a very fast heartrate? Was that in your younger years? I remember when I drank my heartrate was always fast and it didn't bother me. It does bother me when it pops out of nowhere. It'll be forgotten about tomorrow.

How are you doing buddy?

☪️️

Nah dude, last time it happened was just over a year ago. It's an accumulation of stress. I would get that thing like you do where whenever I move my heart rate skyrockets.

First time it happened was about 8 years ago where my heart rate got stuck around 120bpm and went up closer to 140-150bpm when I moved. Spent the night in A&E where they found nothing wrong and attributed it to being stressed.

Over the years I've learned it's from adrenaline and also with me, muscle tension.

I'm still not sure what the exact mechanism is, but my muscles can get tenser and tenser over the period of weeks, and it feels like all of a sudden something 'let's go' and all sorts of toxins are released. I know that toxin buildup is a bit of a medical myth, but I'm just describing what it feels like. I have to constantly stretch, and each time I do, my HR spikes for 60 seconds or so. I've learned to live with it now and pre-empt it happening, 'cos the stress isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Oddly, when I used to sniff a lot of coke 20 years ago my heart rate would go up for hours on end (at least 12) and I wouldn't even think about it.

Ah, you did mention that in another post. Same thing happens to me when I stretch too. But during these attacks I have to remain completely still and try to breath deep and slow. But oddly this just makes it even faster when I do the breathing. I can handle 120bpm. When it hits 140bpm and above things start getting a little worrying. 160bpm+ and it's immediate panic mode and a feeling of terror.

I watched this lady on Youtube who recorded 300bpm. She managed to revert at hospital naturally but just the fact your heart can do that is messed up.

From what I've read (I don't read to diagnose or worry, just interest) it's the electrical system that gets out of whack. Lots of things can mess up the electrical signals. I'm sure many of the chemicals released play a part too; like the toxin buildup in the muscle being tensed. That sort of makes sense in theory.

Bit nervous to sleep tonight though. Woke up last night with tachycardia. Lasted about 20 minutes and went away. The nervousness to sleep will feed the problem. The less sleep I get the more chance I'll wake up with a night terror. Almost always. They're even worse than waking up with tachycardia.

In other news, got myself a 5TB hard drive. I'm hoarding sample packs. Also chopping up the audio files from all DC and Marvel movies.

☪️️

Stop watching those videos ffs lol. You know the drill dude.

Stop prophesising. Whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen.

Are you still off the meds? Did you go back on? Do you remember launching at somebody with a machete? It's all stress, and all adds up. It rarely hits you the same day. It's usually much later on, weeks sometimes.

As long as your adrenaline is high, your heart rate will be high. You have to practice calm as much as possible when your heart isn't racing as when it is. A holistic, overall way of dealing with stress and anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Stop watching those videos ffs lol. You know the drill dude.

Stop prophesising. Whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen.

Are you still off the meds? Did you go back on? Do you remember launching at somebody with a machete? It's all stress, and all adds up. It rarely hits you the same day. It's usually much later on, weeks sometimes.

As long as your adrenaline is high, your heart rate will be high. You have to practice calm as much as possible when your heart isn't racing as when it is. A holistic, overall way of dealing with stress and anxiety.
    Woke up this morning and even before my eyes were awake I was reaching for my pulse. And just like that my heart was up to the 140's. Within 10 minutes is was back to normal so yes this is all in my head.

I'm in a hole mate. And yes I'm on my meds but the one med. that I try not to take is the diazepam.

☪️️

Right, so just coming off the meds and going back on could mess with your system for weeks on end.

Also, it's not all in your head. Head/mind/body, linked. You know that already I think? It's not just thought patterns, it's the complex feedback between the mental and physical.

Try and recognise your pattern of feast and famine, up and down.

This is why it's just as important to practice calm when you're not panicking as when you are. But also, try not to make a self proclamation of 'omg I'm cured!!!' next time you don't feel terrible. Even the emotions out as much as possible.

I know what it's like to sit with high heart rate for hours on end, as much as a day sometimes. I know it's hard, but next time it happens practice sitting with it and letting it be. I'm only saying this because once it's happened it's kinda too late to then practice calm, so you might as well practice living with it for as long as it's present right? What I found is that trying to make your heart rate come down provides you for the opportunity of failure.

"I can't stop this, I can't live with it, I can't take it...."

That mental pattern will just fire more go juice into your system. Better -

"Oh well, I know this stops by itself eventually so I'll just let it be for now and try not to w@nk"......etc.

The key here is practice. It took me a long, long time not to react to extended periods of high heart rate. It happens still sometimes, especially if I have big meal. That trigger of digestion and increased heart rate (that you cannot force down) will sometimes cause a CNS reaction in me. Last time it happened was about 2 weeks ago in fact. I ordered McDonalds for the kids (meaning I also ate McDonalds....cough) and that triggered my heart rate up to about 90. Because the misses hadn't been doing well that week and I was working until 2am most nights because everybody was home the accumulated stress put me on my ass for the evening. I had to retreat to the bedroom for the rest of the evening and chill. Heart rate didn't come down below 100bpm until about 11pm (5 hours later), at which point I was mentally and physically exhausted. But, I just watched CHiPs and Dempsey and Makepeace on TV (!) and next day got on with it again.
    Last edited by ankietyjoe; 10-04-21 at 12:06.

Thanks Joe. You make a lot of sense. I've been building a direct debit subscription platform for a friend and I think that is a part of the stress. I'm under no pressure, and facing no issues, but it feels like a monster on my back, when it should feel like a friend. If I pick a little deeper maybe I'm subconsciously worried that it'll mess up and I wont be paid. It's that "What if ..." negative thinking again.

I can't think what else could be causing this.

You mention TV. I have a cartoon that calms me down. I've never heard of CHiPs. What's that about?

☪️️

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information