Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic attack lasted an hour almost called ambulance

Re: Panic attack lasted an hour almost called ambulance

CHiPs is a buddy cop show from the late 70's/early 80s. Hashtag nostalgia.....

But anything like work can cause stress. You have to complete a task to be able to afford food etc, it is a stressful existence. But as you point out, NOT presuming or thinking the worst is the way forward. Those Bob Proctor talks are always a good way out of that I find. Of course he's full of it and ultimately a motivational speaker, but that doesn't mean that was he's saying isn't true. I know you know about the power of visualisation etc.

I'm still the same with my work. I have a ton of it coming it, but I'll still procrastinate and suffer with imposter syndrome sometimes, even though all the feedback on my work is good. Never get any kind of critical feedback, but something inside me still feels like a pretender sometimes. I think it's just the nature of being creative and instructional.

I always find the Mr Bean cartoons nice and calming lol

I'll have to give it a watch. I like all the old shows. I'm still on Only Fools and Horses, and On The Busses. I used to use Mr Bean as a calming exercise. Never seen the cartoon but I'll check that out. Him and that Robin Reliant crack me up.

I can totally relate to procrastination and imposter syndrome. Imposter syndrome sucks, had it all my life. I don't think we value ourselves enough. I read the article "How to give zero f**ks" (good article that I think you've read) and for a while that did change my perception of a lot of things.

On the topic of the medications I didn't have any of this anxiety when I stopped them for a week. The side effects were rough, but anxiety and tachycardia were non existent. That's when I felt cured

Thank you for the discussion Joe, it's been really helpful.

I like Bob. The only thing I don't like is the "click here to subscribe" link on his videos. His email marketing strategy must be making him a mint. Fair play to him though.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

The power of intent. I was watching a graffiti documentary. These artists were phenomenal with spray cans doing huge murals to make Detroit look better. Anyway, they went to the Jungle to learn the power of intent. The guru guy said "Face the wall. Make your intention to the wall, and act on it".

That quote is powerful.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I think all these resources should be used as 'for educational purposes only'.

What Proctor says 'might' work for you, but for me it's really about exposing myself to a different way of thinking. Other people may well take away a different message from exactly the same words, and be motivated to react in a different way than I did, for example.

But yeah, working in anything remotely creative is much harder than people realise. It's not really like most other careers because your work has the potential to be scrutinised on a very personal and subjective level. Learning to trust your own skill can be tough for sure, but that's where practice comes in again. If you do something long enough, you'll become very good at it.

I've worked with a handful of programming languages for over 20 years. I've taught programming in the past. Yet I still can't get over imposter syndrome at times. And yes the creative field is hard because the possibilities are infinite and there's no real way to judge your work against others. But every time you, I, and others who deal with IS consistently pull off work that people praise you for.

What would you say you're an expert at if you could pick one thing?

☪️️

Honestly, the thing I know most about is anxiety and stress.

I'm not really an expert at anything musical, but I am very good at a lot of things, that's why they keep paying me to make videos about it. Depth of knowledge. Arguably synthesis and sound design, but there are other far better at it than me. One of my social media pals is a guy called Howard Scarr, the sound designer that worked with Hans Zimmer on the Batman films, and another even better pal of mine was called by the mighty man to do sound design for the Bond movie last Christmas. I'm good, but not THAT good. Maybe one day....

But anxiety, I studied that to death. In fact I studied psychology properly alongside a family friend. I've studied it for nearly a decade now, in depth.

My Doctor once told me (2011 I think it was) that if I didn't want to take antidepressants I'd have to learn to live with it. So I did.

Synthesis and sound design are rare skills. Hanz Zimmer is a genius, love his work. Your friend is a lucky guy. I'm currently sampling from the DC movies, they're a great source of awesome sounds. Do you do folly recording?

I recall I was going to buy a system that was built for sound design. It's used in Hollywood and about 3k per machine. I can't remember the name of it now.

I agree you know a lot about stress and anxiety and are an asset to the forum broski. You've unknowingly helped so many people.

☪️️

I have a couple of field recorders that I sometimes use for foley, although my sound design is almost exclusively synth based. I'm currently working in a plugin called Pigments however that has a pretty killer sample/granular oscillator so I'm putting some custom samples in there for sure.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people here don't see me as an asset lol. I have a specific delivery method sometimes, but only because I know that 95% of anxiety is self inflicted and I don't see the point in pussy footing around.

I see you as an asset and you often take the time to reel me back in.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Nah dude, last time it happened was just over a year ago. It's an accumulation of stress. I would get that thing like you do where whenever I move my heart rate skyrockets.

First time it happened was about 8 years ago where my heart rate got stuck around 120bpm and went up closer to 140-150bpm when I moved. Spent the night in A&E where they found nothing wrong and attributed it to being stressed.

Over the years I've learned it's from adrenaline and also with me, muscle tension.

I'm still not sure what the exact mechanism is, but my muscles can get tenser and tenser over the period of weeks, and it feels like all of a sudden something 'let's go' and all sorts of toxins are released. I know that toxin buildup is a bit of a medical myth, but I'm just describing what it feels like. I have to constantly stretch, and each time I do, my HR spikes for 60 seconds or so. I've learned to live with it now and pre-empt it happening, 'cos the stress isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Oddly, when I used to sniff a lot of coke 20 years ago my heart rate would go up for hours on end (at least 12) and I wouldn't even think about it.

Hi Joe!, Just wondering, I do get adrenaline being released at UN-NEEDED times. Usually when I start to take a nap, just jolting awake due to adrenaline. Although sometimes I do get sleep paralysis+Jolting i can tell it is the wrong signals of adrenaline and drift off to sleep after awhile.
    Another point i'd like to know is the muscle tension. Like yes i know this is really common among anxiety/panic people, but I find that my muscle tension is primarily on my lower back..
    So in regards to stretching, does it help? I think my back 'pain' is also contributing to 'stress' aka 'physical stress' instead of mental, because i really can't find any reason why I'm 'stressed mentally'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information