Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't seem to accept that my lack of eating is potentially why I am losing weight

Can't seem to accept that my lack of eating is potentially why I am losing weight

I'm currently waiting for results to come back in regards to the symptoms I am having, ie IBS type symptoms, possible bacteria or parasite in my intestines, inflammation in the body.

Its been a month now where I have dropped 2 dress sizes. I absolutely cannot stomach food at all. I've been told to write a food diary by my GP when I told him I'm having x symptoms and losing weight. At work I burn approximately 500 calories, maybe more if I am doing very strenuous work. I am eating under 1000 calories a day :(maybe a little more I am filling myself up with cups of teas, can only eat toast, a banana, and for dinner I will have a bit of curry in a bowl. I ordered a takeaway last night and I coulsnt even eat half of it.

I'm still terrified that there's something sinister going on though because I'm having bowel issues like diarrhoea and feeling nausea, abdominal cramping.

Has anyone else been through this? How much weight did you end up losing in a short space of time?

Re: Can't seem to accept that my lack of eating is potentially why I am losing weight

It seems ridiculous that eating less than 1000 cals per day you wouldn't lose weight, right? Completely ridiculous.

I have lost anything from 20-40 lbs in the space of 4-6 weeks more than once in my life when highly stressed or anxious. It's completely normal, widely reported and documented.

You keep posting the same responses to the same symptoms and problems and keep being told the same thing. At some point you just need to pull yourself together and stop the self drama.

Also maybe start eating proper food instead of toast and takeaways. At least you'll be getting some nutrition while your appetite is low.

Best options would be fruits, nuts, seeds, avocado, good quality meats and as much veg as you possibly can.

Re: Can't seem to accept that my lack of eating is potentially why I am losing weight

Joe is right.

I am 6' tall, and up until 6 months ago, my weight had dropped from 13st to 10st. I looked really ill from it (it's not the first time this has happened).

I literally had to force food down me, day after day, almost heaving and feeling sick with every bite, but after a few weeks of this, my appetite started to come back.

I'm currently back up to nearly 12st, and am eating at every opportunity to try and gain some weight and strength back, as I'm fed up of feeling tired and weak.

It's difficult to start with, but it gets easier quite quickly when you almost get in the habit of eating again, it feels normal again. I got a bit emotional a few weeks in, when I noticed myself feeling hungry again, it was such a relief.

Stick at it, and just eat.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    Joe is right.

I am 6' tall, and up until 6 months ago, my weight had dropped from 13st to 10st. I looked really ill from it (it's not the first time this has happened).

I literally had to force food down me, day after day, almost heaving and feeling sick with every bite, but after a few weeks of this, my appetite started to come back.

I'm currently back up to nearly 12st, and am eating at every opportunity to try and gain some weight and strength back, as I'm fed up of feeling tired and weak.

It's difficult to start with, but it gets easier quite quickly when you almost get in the habit of eating again, it feels normal again. I got a bit emotional a few weeks in, when I noticed myself feeling hungry again, it was such a relief.

Stick at it, and just eat.

Good luck.
    That's what I am trying to do. I can't seem to eat enough though before feeling full up? Would you still force yourself to eat loads if you're feeling full up? I have had enough of it. I just want to eat a load of junk all week and just watch my weight creep back on! At least I will know then that I am OK. I'm just so thankful I don't have any scales at home because I would drive myself loopy standing on them 24 7. It's at work I check my weight daily! Not good at all. I am in a right pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You keep posting the same responses to the same symptoms and problems and keep being told the same thing. At some point you just need to pull yourself together and stop the self drama.
    I know I am being utterly ridiculous now. Even my husband said you're moaning you've lost weight but that is all you're eating? He is right. You are all right. I know it must be like talking to a brick wall! Ggrrrr get yourself together woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Anxietysufferer92 View Post
    I know I am being utterly ridiculous now. Even my husband said you're moaning you've lost weight but that is all you're eating? He is right. You are all right. I know it must be like talking to a brick wall! Ggrrrr get yourself together woman!
    That's exactly it, pull yourself together.

There are legitimate times for self care, and feeling sorry for yourself, but this is not one of those times.

You are banging your own head against a wall, and then complaining about a headache.

And no, I wouldn't force food down, I would just focus on eating as much high nutrition food as you can until your appetite comes back, calorie dense too. Until your appetite does come back, focus on not worrying about the bleedin' obvious reason you're losing weight. Your appetite will come back, and it doesn't matter when. You can survive weeks on end with zero food and you'll be just fine. Our bodies are more than capable of being ok in times of calorie deficit, you just need to make sure you get enough nutrients in.

You are banging your own head against a wall, and then complaining about a headache.
    Yes !!!!

I've had times in my life where appetite is gone for weeks and weeks, I've lost stones - yes stones, in that period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Yes !!!!

I've had times in my life where appetite is gone for weeks and weeks, I've lost stones - yes stones, in that period of time.
    Same here. When I moved house in 2019 I lost 22lbs in a month.

Thank goodness you don't have scales at home! Your guts have taken a pounding..You'll get your appetite back but you have to eat regularly to get your stomach used to decent food again. Yes you will feel full quickly but you have to increase your intake gradually and have calorie rich nutritious food as Joe says.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxietysufferer92 View Post
    That's what I am trying to do. I can't seem to eat enough though before feeling full up? Would you still force yourself to eat loads if you're feeling full up? I have had enough of it. I just want to eat a load of junk all week and just watch my weight creep back on! At least I will know then that I am OK. I'm just so thankful I don't have any scales at home because I would drive myself loopy standing on them 24 7. It's at work I check my weight daily! Not good at all. I am in a right pickle.
    You will feel full easily, because you haven't been eating, I had exactly the same, but that stops in time too.

Try not to make a big deal of it, and just eat. If you can't finish a meal, then so what? Try again a bit later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information