Thread: Kidney disease fear....

Kidney disease fear....

Hi all!
    I've never posted on this site before but have used it on many occasions as a reminder I'm not alone in worrying, without knowing it this site has has a real saviour over the years in putting my mind at ease.
    I hope I'm posting in the right place but I'm looking to see if anyone has had experience of what I'm currently going through and could give some advice or experience.
    Over the past three months I've been having regular blood tests, my first one back before Christmas alerting my kidney function to be 'low' Since then each test has been low but remained stable at the same level, not getting worse but also not getting better (apparently the level was also roughly the same back in 2017, although I've only been told this recently)
    Urine tests consistently come back clear, including one sent off to the hospital for culture checks etc.
    However, last night I ended up in out of hours doctor as for the past few days I've had a stabbing pain from my left hand kidney area radiating into my stomach. It isn't consistent, but is more often there than not. Doctor last night rechecked urine and looked at blood tests spanning across the months and really wasn't concerned, didn't seem fazed about the pain, simply gave me a prescription for pain killers and sent me off.
    On top of this I've also had a 'heavy/pressure' type chest pain ongoing for a couple of months now, I do however have a hernia and acid reflux.
    I suppose I'm posting here today to see if anyone else has had the 'kidney disease' fear and could give me their experiences of this worry - I did a silly thing and googled and now scared myself silly the pain etc is kidney disease.
    Long, rambly post, so thank you to everyone who makes it to the end!

Re: Kidney disease fear....

I made it to the end so you're welcome! Hahaha.

It's good of you to admit that Googling it was probably silly. Googling symptoms is a sure way to get yourself all worked up and worried. This website probably has the highest concentration of people on the planet who have learnt the hard way that Googling your symptoms usually increases your anxiety instead of lowering it.

Did you mention the chest pain to your doctor? It sounds like you believe the hernia and acid reflux might be the cause of that and you might be right. If you didn't mention it to the doctor and it's worrying you then there's no harm in mentioning it to them to see what they say. They'll probably reassure you more than Google will.

The fact that your kidney function has reported low for literal years, could it be that your body just works that way? We're all different and some of us work just as well as others albeit with different functions and abilities. Maybe "low function" is actually normal for you.

I've worried countless times about what might be wrong with me. Is it my kidneys, heart, lungs? Name an organ and I've probably worried about it. And you know what? I'm still here. Every single time I've been SURE that something was wrong or CONVINCED that I was about to keel over I have been wrong, wrong, WRONG. I try to remember that when my body is worrying me. I've been wrong to worry before, I'm almost certainly wrong now too.

Thread Information