Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophic/Fantastic thinking and how to control it?

Re: Catastrophic/Fantastic thinking and how to control it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I have those "real-world" challenges too. You wouldn't believe what the pandemic did to my personal finances, and my ongoing struggle to pay it off. Yet they don't seem to bother me; they're 'practical' worries which my brain is very well accustomed to dealing with. I wouldn't have lasted as long in my field if that wasn't the case.

Sometimes I look back on what I have become worried about/blown out of all proportion in the past and think "Really? Did I really think that?" and think "Oh, silly me."

But that only lasts until the next occasion and then it's rinse and repeat.
    For many of us, especially those of us with PTSD, have anxiety over “other” issues than the real issues going on in our lives. For example, it’s very common for combat veterans to have health anxiety over a condition they don’t have, like a brain tumor, than deal with the death of their comrade. It might be easier for your brain to deal with “contamination” rather than your financial problems or the passing of your wife. It might very well be a coping mechanism that’s back-fired.

Sorry that you haven’t had a good reaction when sharing your concerns PM. We are always here to listen, even if we might sometimes say a worry is ridiculous I hope that you wouldn’t feel belittled.

I’m the same though. For instance I am panicking that I just ate a bit of chicken from a chicken that seems a bit undercooked. The bit I ate wasn’t, but I’m in a panic. If it was you in this panic, I would tell you not to, and I would mean it whole heartedly. But these thoughts they ruminate & I don’t know how to stop them sometimes either. It seems to be something new every couple of weeks for me lately. So I have referred myself for talking therapy again.

How are you getting on with your new doctor who was being very helpful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for you PM, looking at what you think is asbestos, the fears are very real regardless of any question as to their logic. Frequently logic doesn't get a look in once anxiety and all its irrationality kicks in. But I think you've had time to reflect and conclude you are in no danger? When all is said and done, we just have to do asbestos we can.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    I think for you PM, looking at what you think is asbestos, the fears are very real regardless of any question as to their logic. Frequently logic doesn't get a look in once anxiety and all its irrationality kicks in. But I think you've had time to reflect and conclude you are in no danger? When all is said and done, we just have to do asbestos we can.
    #Groan.....

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Let me know what your coat looks like and I'll fetch it for you...

See what I mean though? I can join in the fun now, but I was a bit jittery about it yesterday.

Are you here all week, Fishman?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    In many cases my friends are much more sympathetic than my family...
    For me...it is online strangers over some of my family members. To be honest, I am more comfortable posting some of my issues online with complete strangers than I am discussing with some family members. A recent conversation with my sister in law gave me some hope though as I did not realize she has a number of the same problems I do (like health anxiety) and I am hopeful we can talk more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Are you here all week, Fishman?
    Hmm that's a cryptic kind of question Pulisa? I may dash in and out from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by AuntWithIssues87 View Post
    For me...it is online strangers over some of my family members. To be honest, I am more comfortable posting some of my issues online with complete strangers than I am discussing with some family members. A recent conversation with my sister in law gave me some hope though as I did not realize she has a number of the same problems I do (like health anxiety) and I am hopeful we can talk more in the future.
    I think we all assume that other people we know are "normal" and have no anxiety or MH issues..Not always the case. I hope you and your SIL can help each other by talking about your anxieties-you've broken the ice with her already and that can be the hardest bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information