Thread: Leukaemia fear

Leukaemia fear

Hi everyone I’ve had a really rough couple of weeks. Began about a month ago when I noticed a dark line on my thumb nail and my doctor referred me to the hospital dermatologist under the 2 week rule. I became so worried and anxious as you can imagine. The hospital said it was nothing to worry about thankfully.

Literally a day later I became unwell with an awful mouth infection, my gums became really painful and started bleeding and these weird yellow ulcers were all over in my mouth. My neck glands were swollen and I took a week off work. This made my anxiety worse thinking I had all sorts of rare conditions. So this was almost 3 weeks ago and my mouth and gums are much better now but I still feel as if my body is fighting something and my glands are still tender. Whether it’s due to the mouth issues I had or a new infection I don’t know but my neck aches and feels stretched. I don’t have a fever and I don’t feel that unwell but at the same time I’m not 100% even though I have been taking loads of vitamins.

I have a blood test coming up but some of my symptoms seem to match those poor people who developed acute leukaemia and I can’t stop worrying about it. I will definitely be asking my doctor to refer me back to CBT but has anyone been through similar fears before?

Re: Leukaemia fear

I absolutely worry about my body just like you're worrying about yours right now. All the "what ifs". Us poor humans find it so easy to think the worst when pretty much every time it's not the worst.

Did you find out what was the cause of the dark nail or your mouth problems? Were the two related? It's great that dermatology were able to set your mind at ease. I don't know what the 2 week rule is if you'd be able to enlighten me.

CBT should be able to help you if you're a worrier when it comes to health. One of the things I would speak to my therapist about is how I worry so much about my health. "Aah I'm dying, aah I have this horrible disease, aah this'll happen that'll happen" Even when you know your anxious mind is in overdrive the feeling of doom can still feel very real.

Let the doctor diagnose whether you have leukaemia or not. If you're not a doctor, you can't make that diagnosis. If the doctor gives you the all clear, let that calm you just as the dermatologist was able to calm you with the dark line on your nail.

Shotta, Your post history alone would discount your latest fear. You have an 0 and ??? record thus far and I don't see that changing TBH

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Shotta, Your post history alone would discount your latest fear. You have an 0 and ??? record thus far and I don't see that changing TBH

Positive thoughts
    FMP I always appreciate your words you are such a benefit to this forum. Sometimes I feel like it’s all in my head but sometimes it feels so real.

It’s been 3 weeks since I developed that nasty infection in my mouth which has pretty much healed. My glands are also less swollen but I still feel run down. I also get times throughout the day where I feel like I have a fever and it drives my anxiety Through the roof! I managed to borrow an ear thermometer and my temperature ranges from about 36.9-37.3 C. Is this considered to be a fever?

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo View Post
    I absolutely worry about my body just like you're worrying about yours right now. All the "what ifs". Us poor humans find it so easy to think the worst when pretty much every time it's not the worst.

Did you find out what was the cause of the dark nail or your mouth problems? Were the two related? It's great that dermatology were able to set your mind at ease. I don't know what the 2 week rule is if you'd be able to enlighten me.

CBT should be able to help you if you're a worrier when it comes to health. One of the things I would speak to my therapist about is how I worry so much about my health. "Aah I'm dying, aah I have this horrible disease, aah this'll happen that'll happen" Even when you know your anxious mind is in overdrive the feeling of doom can still feel very real.

Let the doctor diagnose whether you have leukaemia or not. If you're not a doctor, you can't make that diagnosis. If the doctor gives you the all clear, let that calm you just as the dermatologist was able to calm you with the dark line on your nail.
    Hi thanks for the nice words. The dark line was apparently a ridge on my nail. The 2 week rule is an urgent appointment to check for the C. That made me extremely anxious!

Quote Originally Posted by shotta287 View Post
    FMP I always appreciate your words you are such a benefit to this forum. Sometimes I feel like it’s all in my head but sometimes it feels so real.

It’s been 3 weeks since I developed that nasty infection in my mouth which has pretty much healed. My glands are also less swollen but I still feel run down. I also get times throughout the day where I feel like I have a fever and it drives my anxiety Through the roof! I managed to borrow an ear thermometer and my temperature ranges from about 36.9-37.3 C. Is this considered to be a fever?
    Something only being in your head doesn't make it less real. It's still a real anxiety, even if it's about something that you don't need to be anxious about. Don't be hard on yourself with that. It will feel real and that's what makes it so scary, that's why I have to remind myself of all those other times it felt so real but ended up being all for nothing. Did the doctors check your temperature? This NHS article on fever gives a temperature and might reassure you.

Quote Originally Posted by shotta287 View Post
    Hi thanks for the nice words. The dark line was apparently a ridge on my nail. The 2 week rule is an urgent appointment to check for the C. That made me extremely anxious!
    Thank you, I've learnt something there. It's good to hear that your nail worry wasn't anything serious.

I’ve had my forehead temp scanned always been fine and read that a low grade fever is classed as 37.5-38 with an actual fever 38+ so I think I’m OK there.

These past 4 weeks I have been worried about:
    Melanoma
    Lichen planus
    Pemphigus
    Leukaemia
    Lymphoma

Worst phase of HA i’ve ever had. I still am recovering from this infection but the anxiety just makes it so much worse.

I should add that I had my bloods taken a few days ago, if something serious was found would they have called me up on the same day? That seems to be the case with what I’ve read online.

If I was waiting on test results then I'd expect them to contact me sooner rather than later if it was anything serious. What are your hobbies? What do you like to do normally? When I have a bad period I like to play games to keep my hands and my mind busy.

Thread Information