Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ramadan Mubarak

Re: Ramadan Mubarak

That's good news..Not long to go now x

James, it's your first attempt - it'll be difficult, I have no doubt. I have nothing but admiration for those who have the self-discipline to do this.

If you falter, there is Fidyah/Kafarra but I am sure you'll soon adjust.

Be strong, you can do this.

I did have some liquid. I haven't been able to sleep at all. No food though. I'm not going to beat myself up over it, it is very difficult without water for somebody with panic. It's not the end of the world. I recognize it might be having a negative effect on my mental health.

I read this: https://www.dailysabah.com/life/reli...ast-in-ramadan (it's about Ramadan and mental illness)

And this quote stands out right now:

“The sleep pattern is one of the important matters to keep an eye on in Ramadan, and prolonged sleep regressions can cause a spike in the severity of the mental illness.”
    As I've currently had very little sleep in over 24 hours I think I should recognize this.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Dude listen.

As I've mentioned before I've been fasting for about 4 years now. Anything between 12 (absolute bare minimum) and 24 hours a day. My average is 15-17 hours. Yesterday I didn't eat until around 2pm, and I stopped eating around 5pm the day before.

It took me around a month to get used to it, but now I don't even feel it. It takes around 24 hours without food for my body to start giving me the grumbles.

But, I still recognise that fasting increases cortisol after a while, and for you that is what you are probably experiencing now. There is also the considerable mental toll for you of changing habit and safety nets.

Do the best you can, and do it slowly.

Also worth noting that when children are first introduced to fasting, it's done slowly. My misses is muslim descent (not practicing in any way though) and I live in an area with a lot of muslims so it's all very familiar to us. It's encouraged in children from 'around' puberty, but it's often started around 9-10 years old where it often begins with just skipping breakfast and waiting until lunch. They made do that for several months before moving back lunch until later on in the day.

Your body is running on daily habitual hormonal cycles, and you cannot expect to just stop eating and drinking and feel ok. Your CNS is going straight into emergency mode because you're telling it resources are scarce.

AND.....eating all your food late at night will severely disrupt your sleeping patterns. You need to manage the switch dude.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information