Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramadan Mubarak

Re: Ramadan Mubarak

James, you sound isolated when there should be support around to discuss this. Have you got a local Mosque? Do you attend?

You've painted yourself a bad person despite Islam being practical about when it's not possible. They put that there for a reason: so people don't fail when ill and it doesn't make them any less committed to their faith.

I'm wondering if speaking to a spiritual leader would go further than what Blue has reminded you of? They might look at your health and agree it doesn't have to be so all or nothing?

I don't know, I've had Muslim mates over the years but never asked that. But despite the expectations set I've always got the sense it is best efforts because sometimes life gets in the way. And not all Muslims stick to everything but does that mean they are lesser in the eyes of God? Perhaps this is where having a leader to talk to comes in? Maybe starting later is acceptable anyway and shows more commitment than missing it completely?

I don't know too much about religion, any of them, and I would imagine questions like this are answered even online. Maybe consider them? Maybe don't kick yourself if you don't know all the answers? You're new to Islam (I thought you had been a Muslim for years) and isn't a lot of learning required in faith? Aren't mistakes a learning experience and the teachings help provide guidance in dealing with experiences? So maybe it's not as bad as you think and a nurturing God would steer you rather than condemn you?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Thanks Lolaelee1, so good to see you around. How are you?
    Thank you for caring James, I am on the mend.
    You are doing the right thing it’s a hard thing Ramadan,my friend only lasted 2days last year and he is a Dr.

As-salamu alaikum

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Thank you for caring James, I am on the mend.
    You are doing the right thing it’s a hard thing Ramadan,my friend only lasted 2days last year and he is a Dr.

As-salamu alaikum
    Lola, a mate years ago was at the choccy machine buying several bars the minute he could. He joked about it. Iranian guy, one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Get better soon. Bet you can't wait to get home

Iranians are beautiful people,the ones I know have a gentleness that is quite rare in our society,Terry.
    My friends went straight to Maccas lol.

Yes I can’t wait to get out of this place I have a permanent bed here
    At least I am off the Intravenous meds and on tablets now.
    Hope you and your family are well.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Feel like a failure already. Accidentally cocked up the dates, and tonight as the time got near to where I couldn't eat or drink I had a panic attack that wouldn't settle. I didn't even feel hungry to eat a full meal either.

5 minutes in I was wrestling my mind "I need a drink", "No you can't drink Ramadan has started", "But I need a drink I'm having a panic attack", "You're weak James", "This is a test", "What if I drink will I go to hell?".

It just wouldn't stop in my mind. I was constantly checking my pulse, I felt majorly off. So I drank and felt better but then felt majorly depressed because I'd already broke the fast 15 minutes into it. Now I feel doomed. Like a failure. Not worthy in the eyes of God. My prayer, my reading of the Quran, my study of Islam all for nothing. I failed at the first hurdle. My mind is saying "Don't bother to pray, you've failed, come back when you're ready".

This is not meant to happen. I'm not of right mind to do this right now. Or am I justifying myself for failure.

I hate life sometimes.

I have nowhere else to discuss this. And some people here seem to know me. So I hope somebody can chime in here.

Calm down you muppet

Your body has become almost hard wired to expect food/drink at certain times. You are fighting a primal survival urge to eat or drink. It's not easy, and you don't have an entire culture around you to assist you with it.

I think Terry is on to something. Is there a local Mosque you can go to/attend?

Try not to let yourself go down the 'if it ain't right, it's wrong' road. Sometimes it just 'is', right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Iranians are beautiful people,the ones I know have a gentleness that is quite rare in our society,Terry.
    My friends went straight to Maccas lol.

Yes I can’t wait to get out of this place I have a permanent bed here
    At least I am off the Intravenous meds and on tablets now.
    Hope you and your family are well.

Get well soon, Lola..Hope you soon get back to your home and that things get better for you really soon

Lola what's up? I just read that you're in hospital?

And thank you for the replies all. Still feeling like I let myself down but it will ease up. It was refreshing to learn a Dr. found it very difficult. I don't have any Muslim community around, but I agree I do need to find a mosque and speak to an Imam.

I think traditional Muslims have a lot of family, friends and community support to make it easier for them.

Joe you crack me up mate, but spot on

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Going to give it another go. I ate well today too which makes me feel better overall. I think if I feel like I am up to it on a given day then I should give it my best shot knowing that I can break the fast if I feel I need to. I think this is a good exercise in general in life ... to give things a try and don't be afraid to fail?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

That's a really good attitude and don't worry if it doesn't work out? It's not worth jeopardising your health.

It won't be a matter of you "failing". Whatever you can manage will be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Get well soon, Lola..Hope you soon get back to your home and that things get better for you really soon
    Thank youI am hoping on being out of here on Saturday.X

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information