Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird stools getting anxious and worried

Weird stools getting anxious and worried

Last time I posted on this site it was concerning my constant headache for about three months. That has now mostly disappeared, no peace as bowel issues now. I've had various bowels issues on and off for years but this is a new one, if it is an issue.

Last year I had trouble with the water in the bowel always being cloudy so I couldn't see the stool. This went on for a few months and the dr had me do a stool test which came back normal. That resolved and I was better for a while then I kept getting floating stools which sent me into a real panic, as there are terrible things written about them on Dr. Google. I eventually saw the dr and she did a blood test which came back normal, also a stool test for blood which came back clear. However another stool test showed I had borderline calprotectin.I'd not heard of it and looked it up, quite worrying although the dr said it was nothing to worry about but I now have to do another one to see if the levels have changed. I wasn't too worried as my bowels had been normal for about three months.

The last two or three weeks they have gone weird. They look normal but are now curvy, one day shaped like a letter C. I looked that up and it said it was good news a healthy sign, but I don't know whether to believe that. The thing most worrying me is a lot of days the stool is standing up on end in the toilet bowl. I've never had that before. I can't find anything out. It's not floating, well not like before, one end is at the bottom of the toilet but its standing up and keeps happening. I've never seen this before or heard of it. I am getting panicky and worried, which is making me feel nauseous and no appetite. As I am a low weight that is worrying. I am afraid it might be something to do the calprotectin levels, and am afraid of the results of the stool test.

I was wondering if anyone has had this or knows anything about it, the standing on end I mean.

I would appreciate any thoughts, I know no one is medical on here, but often someone has had something similar to what we are going through.
    Last edited by chinadoll19; 11-04-21 at 23:12.

Re: Weird stools getting anxious and worried

I've experienced some of the things you're experiencing and I'm still breathing to write you this message. You might find it beneficial to wean yourself off Googling problems as 9/10 times you're only going to scare yourself. I learnt that the hard way so have many others here and I bet you've probably realised this yourself already. You said in your message that if you read something bad, if panics you but if you read something good, you're not sure whether to believe it. What does that tell you?

Speak to the doctor again and tell her what you've told us here. If your doctor doesn't think it's worth worrying about then allow that to reassure you. You were worried about your headaches, they passed and you're still with us and worrying about something new. If you're like me then you're always finding something to worry about. Once I'm over one worry, I very quickly move on to something else to worry about and it's simply horrible. The sooner you get out of the trap, the better. Not Googling things so often is a good first step to that so please consider it.

Loss of appetite from anxiety is perfectly normal and something that I experience myself. Trying to eat small but often may help you stay nourished even when you don't have an appetite. If you're already a low weight then you might benefit from keeping your eating up more than I will. When I feel like you are feeling, eating small but often is a lot easier than eating a full meal in one go.

Let us know how you get on. x

Thank for your reply Anglo. I do agree about googling. My family tell me not to do it, but I live alone and I sit here worrying and anxious with my thoughts. I do know that it only makes me feel worse. I know what you mean about worrying about one thing, that gets sorted and then there is something else to worry about. Its hard to get peace of mind that lasts.

I am scared again today, as though in most ways my stools are normal there are these worrying shapes. Today it was L shaped with one end standing up, I think it had to because of the shape. What I can't understand when I looked it up the other day there are mentions of all colours, textures etc of stools,but virtually nothing about shapes. Even the Bristol Stool chart they are so fond of quoting has every scenario but mine. It makes me feel I am the only one getting these weird shapes but know I can't be, surely I'm not that unique!

The doctor is going to ring me when she gets the results of the next stool test, which might be next week, and I will tell her then about my worries.

I would have had a better day today if only it had been a normal shape. This has been going on for about a week every day.

Can I ask why you're paying unduly attention to your stool shape? I know HA is a reason but what's yours and why is it so important?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Well yes I've had HA for many years. The reason is you hear so much about checking your stools, and there's all these charts on the web to find out if they are normal or not. The reason I am so worried and panicking with this is this very curved C shape is not mentioned. I found one obscure site which said C shape was healthy but I don't see how it can be. I'm imagining its got to come past a growth of some sort that's making it this shape. I have no other bowel symptoms at the moment they look normal apart from this weird shape. I did the stool test today and it was very much a C shape.

irrelevant... if you allow this to draw you into the dragon's lair, that's totally on you!

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Well I am really in a panic now. I have been trying not to worry about the curved stools but I still have them every day. My family, including my step-daughter who was a nurse thought it was nothing to worry about. However today, I was on the web doing other things when at the bottom of the page appeared a heading that said concave stools, I was stupid enough to click on it and it said that shaped stool is definitely a tumour. It was supposed to be a doctor saying it, but who knows. I keep being told you can't believe everything you see on the internet, but that is burned on my anxiious brain now. I know I shouldn't do it but I can be stupid.

Also no one else on here seems to have had this, all sorts of other worries with bowels but not this. I feel so alone.

I thought stools were supposed to be curved in some way

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Normal !

It's the shape of your rectum near your anus. If your stool spells this letter [C or S], it's a sign your intestines are working well and likely means you're eating a well-balanced diet and getting enough fiber to keep things moving through your digestive system.
    All over the internet, so no idea why you are coming up with a tumour as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information