Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird stools getting anxious and worried

Re: Weird stools getting anxious and worried

I probably should've gone into more detail when I said I've had similar things to you. I've had the same shapes you're describing. I even had a very definite (one might say impressive) shape L that absolutely bewildered me as I'd never seen it before. I've seen it myself from myself and that was years ago. Now I'm here getting to read about you!

Being alone with your mind can be terrible sometimes. Living alone, feeling alone and worrying about your body a lot is more than enough to get someone looking for answers online. You know it's not helping you. Since my initial post you've found good answers but then a bad answer and only focused on the bad answer. Recognise this and use it to train yourself off the nasty cycle of worrying from one thing to the next, Googling one thing then the next. I've been there. I am there. It's dreadful. I've improved and so can you.

Have you ever sought therapy? I'm so thrilled that you're here so you can hear our experiences and get reassurance from others just like you. You and I can feel alone a lot but ultimately we're not alone. Honestly, I find it reassuring reading about your worries because it helps me feel not so alone with mine. I loved having a therapist to pour my heart out to and rave to about all the things whirling around my mind. Maybe you'd benefit too.

Anglo, thank you for your post, I've only just seen it today. I have had a slightly better experience in the toilet the last few days, Still a bit weird but not so mis-shaped. One day it looked normal but had a curved knob on the end. However today I am feeling afraid and hopeless. The stool was almost doubled back on itself if you know what I mean. I can't help but think it coming past something awful to give it this shape. It is no where near thin, but rather thick. Which is normal for me. I am expecting to hear from the doctor any day with my stool test results for the calprotectin. It was borderline last time but I am afraid it will have gone up with all these weird shapes appearing. I couldn't stop thinking and stressing about it yesterday. Today its the shape I am terrified of. It is good to hear someone else has had weird shapes. Thank you for telling me. Still don't know how to have any hope.

I had therapy years ago, but that wasn't for HA but for general anxiety and phobias.

Its not weird, did you read my post ?

I should be careful about excessive googling, Chinadoll, especially with a lot of the 'fake' stuff being posted online these days by so-called 'attention-seekers' with agendas.

Therefore, I highly recommend that you try to only visit approved 'official' sites and avoid the dubious ones like the plague!

Well I'm back again in a real panic! I have been a little calmer, well only a little. I took the stool sample in for another calprotectin test three weeks ago and hadn't heard anything. My family said no news is good news and that if it was anything worrying I would have heard by now. But apparently no news is not good news, I decided to ring the drs today to ask about the results, and the receptionist said they were not back yet. I asked why it was taking so long, and she said the last one took ten days, and this one is longer because they are looking for a lot more things. What things!!! I don't know what they are testing for and what is going on and am in a terrible state. She said I could try ringing on Friday to see if they are back. They may not be. I am now thinking the level of calprotectin has gone sky high from being borderline and they are seeing all sorts of terrible diseases in the stool.

My stools have been a bit less weird shape these last few weeks but today were an L shape, panic again! Also I have just lost more weight, I am a low weight anyway and don't have it to lose, but I have been worrying and I know I am not eating properly, not enought really, I will get a dinner and then maybe eat half of it or less. My nausea is a bit better but I still have no appetite and don't feel like eating. A symptom of one of the terrible diseases I am wondeing about?

Apart from the shapes my stools are normal, I do get odd pains but I have had those for years with IBS.

What does anyone think, does the receptionist really know they are testing for many things, or does she not know the reason for the long time for results? Has anyone had to wait weeks for stool test results?

Keep losing weight

I have started a new thread because I am desperate to hear from someone who has unintentional weight loss and bowel issues. I am in a terrible panic about two issues at the moment. I had an issue with floating stools a few months ago. I saw the doctor and wished I hadn't as it is just causing me more and more anxiety. That problem has resolved itself but the doctor is doing more and more tests. I know that should be a good thing, but apart from the floating stools I thought I was alright.

She did a physical examination and a blood test, plus a stool test for blood, all of which was normal. Then a stool test for calprotectin, and that has really ramped up my anxiety. The result was borderline, which the doctor said was Ok but I would have to do another test. I put that in over 3 weeks ago and the results are not back yet, which worried me plus when I asked the receptionist why she thought it was taking so long, she said it was because they are doing a lot more tests on it. What tests?, I understood it was just to check the calprotectin levels. Now I have no idea what they are looking for, and what's wrong. I don't have any real symptoms with my bowels now, they are fairly normal, except for some weird shapes which worry me, but people keep saying they don't mean anything.

If my calprotectin levels have gone up wouldn't I have some symptoms of IBD or something. I now think they are looking for terrible serious diseases.I can't cope with day to day life, I'm getting nothing done. I can't sleep, can't eat with fear.

The other thing panicking me is my weight. I have always been a low weight so have none to lose. About six months ago I was fine then suddenly I started to lose weight. I had a lot stress at the time. I only lost 4 lbs but that really shows with an already low weight. The doctor wasn't really concerned. It seemed to settle, wouldn't go back on, but was fairly steady. About three weeks ago it started coming off again, and is still doing so. I am very afraid. I googled 'unintentional weight loss no more panic' but google decided to tell me that any weight loss however small over the age of 65, which I am, is a sign of some serious illness. So now more panic and feelings of hopelessness.

I must add that I am not eating well at all. I have no appetite and will often get a dinner and then only eat about half of it or less. I know I am not eating enough and full of anxiety but I can't seem to believe this is the cause of the weight coming off.

Back to the stool test, would the receptionist really know why my results are taking so long, has anyone at all had stool tests take longer than three weeks? I feel so alone, I live alone and only have my thoughts, it would help to know if someone has had this. I feel like I am going out of mind!

Re: Keep losing weight

Your weight loss isn't unintentional though because you have no appetite and I lost weight even though I was eating as normal last Summer and was sent off for "the works" in view of my age-62. Unfortunately GPs will want to be "thorough" with our age group which is not helpful when you have HA. I don't want unnecessary tests so I just focus on being aware of red flag symptoms.

Ignore the receptionist because she isn't your doctor and doesn't have a hotline to the lab. My son's calprotectin results took weeks to come back. If you think about it, why would a receptionist be able to give you information like this? She won't know and is speaking out of turn.

You're not going out of your mind..but it must be very frightening for you to be in the dark about this so why not contact your GP today and get some actual facts? Talk about the calprotectin test and tell her about your fears..It's best to be honest so that she can appreciate the level of your anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll19 View Post
    The other thing panicking me is my weight. I have always been a low weight so have none to lose. About six months ago I was fine then suddenly I started to lose weight. I had a lot stress at the time. I only lost 4 lbs but that really shows with an already low weight. The doctor wasn't really concerned. It seemed to settle, wouldn't go back on, but was fairly steady. About three weeks ago it started coming off again, and is still doing so. I am very afraid. I googled 'unintentional weight loss no more panic' but google decided to tell me that any weight loss however small over the age of 65, which I am, is a sign of some serious illness. So now more panic and feelings of hopelessness.

I must add that I am not eating well at all. I have no appetite and will often get a dinner and then only eat about half of it or less. I know I am not eating enough and full of anxiety but I can't seem to believe this is the cause of the weight coming off.
    The answers re your weight are in your own comments CD. If it helps, I lost 2 stone on the HA diet!

To clarify the weight loss - unintentional weight loss can be caused by stress, changes in diet, and medication side effects and these things are far the more likely culprits, than disease.

Normal blood and poo tests is strong evidence that this is nothing major and the calprotectin level being borderline could even be due to taking NSAIDS/aspirin etc. Do you regularly take any of those or were you taking them at the time of your test?

If you had some 'hideous' disease, I very much doubt that your bloods would be clear, so I would be comforted by that. I get it though. I've been where you are, and it's a horrible place to be - especially if you're having to deal with this alone..

Try to think logically and to distract yourself as much as you can. Do nice things for yourself. Read a nice book or watch an uplifting film. If you find it hard to concentrate visually - bang on a comforting podcast or radio show. Give yourself a massage with essential oils. Herbal tea? Whatever makes you happy - even if it's for the briefest time - do it. X

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll19 View Post

Why do you believe that not doing the thing that causes the body to maintain or increase weight wouldn't actually decrease weight?

Can you not see how distorted your assumptions are that you think not eating enough doesn't equate to weight loss?

On top of that, never Google. What outcome can you possibly expect from Googling, especially when you put in an incorrect term such as 'unintentional weight loss'. As has been pointed out, it's not unintentional if you're undereating.

You have been told you have nothing to worry about, and are choosing to look for problems that aren't there.

As long as you're not eating properly you will lose weight, up to a point. It's nothing to worry about, you will be fine. If you're still losing weight in a couple of months then you need to speak to your Doctor about getting you back to eating properly, but that still doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. It's completely normal to lose your appetite and weight with anxiety, no matter how small you already are.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information