Thread: So scared!

So scared!

Hoping to get some reassurance. Suffering from EXTREME health anxieties right now. It all started in December 2020 when i detected a small lump under my right armpit. I had it checked by my GP in March. She said she thought it was a swollen node. She examined my breasts and neck and groin lymph nodes and could not find any other lumps. Took blood which came back normal. She did however refer me to the Breast unit via the 2 week path way.
    A few days after the referral, my right groin/hip area began to ache - it is a deep gnawing like ache at times. It is something that i have experienced in the past - first in my teens and then a couple of times throughout my adulthood. After some time, it goes away although this time, it ihas lingered.
    I had my appointment at the breast unit last week Thursday. The doctor went through some standard questions with me and then proceeded to examine me. She obviously felt the lump under my armpit but did not seem concerned at all. The rest of the examination went well (no other lumps detected). As i am 39 years old, it is not standard to have a mammogram scan so i had the routine ultrasound carried out instead. The sonographer detected calcification in the swollen node and proceeded to get the consultant radiologist in to have a look as well. With the calcium being present, the radiologist decided to take a biopsy. As you can imagine, i started to get concerned. She did say that she didn't think it was anything to be concerned about and thought it was benign. I then had to go back up to the doctor again. She too said that she was not too concerned. I should get the results of the biopsy next week.
    The ache in my groin is still there though so i have gone in to over drive thinking that i have breast cancer that has metastasized to the femur/hip and that is why i am getting this pain. I got so worried about it that i also took myself off to the A&E last week. I was seen by a senior nurse who physically examined me and said she did not think it was anything serious (i had told her about my secondary bone cancer anxieties). She thought it was more muscular than anything. I have also called my GP surgery about the ache in my groin and they referred me for a pelvic x-ray which came back normal. This is all positive obviously but my health anxieties creep in to my head and tell me what if the X-ray missed something, or was not strong enough to detect the cancer.
    Do you think i should be worried about cancer? Any advise or help will be so gratefully received as the HA i am experiencing now is playing havoc with me...i cant concentrate or sleep.

Re: So scared!

I have had quite a few lumps in my actual breasts over the years and have been in a panic many times. Some were cysts, some just fatty lumps. They said on one occasion some tissue was outside the breast and did a biopsy. I was very scared but it came back clear, they said it was unusual but was normal breast tissue in an unusual place, but quite benign. That was in 2001. I've had a couple more lumps which were benign since, they say I am just prone to them. I know how you feel it is so so scary. You've had a lot of tests come back normal, try to hold on to that. I'm telling you my story so you can see it can all be harmless. I hope you find some peace.

Thread Information