Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lump middle of neck

Re: Lump middle of neck

I've always had a follow up appointment for thyroid biopsies/ ultrasound.

I think you are catastrophising, Shaun?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've always had a follow up appointment for thyroid biopsies/ ultrasound.

I think you are catastrophising, Shaun?
    Yes you were right, I was thinking the worst! Had the call earlier and he said ultrasound confirmed it was a cyst and all lymph nodes surrounding were normal, said he will call back in 6 months to discuss me potentially having it removed.

I've just got off the phone to a local mental health charity that my gp recommended me and they are setting up a phone appointment with me soon to discuss my anxiety and see about maybe CBT or counselling.

That's very good news, Shaun. I'm sure that you're very relieved!

It's a good move to get some help for your anxiety now..I hope you don't have to wait too long to get treatment.

So it's been quite a few months since I've even thought about this cyst in my neck, but tomorrow I am going for my follow up appointment with the ENT. The ultrasound came back fine 6 months ago and the letter read 'non-concerning' and was offered the chance to have it removed but as I was starting a new job we agreed I could just manage it as it was.

I believe this appt is about talking about having it out but my HA has come back massively today and all sorts running through my head, I am worried he will look at it and send me for more urgent tests or he will find something else. Has anyone else had an ENT follow up for something like this and what should I expect?

Just got back and anxiety is through the roof.

I think he said he is removing me from the urgent list but I’m not sure if he said he is adding me to the urgent list, he said surgery could be march next year. Would that be urgent? I also said I googled and a small chance of cancer and he said any of these could have a small chance of cancer cells and I am not really really panicking and can’t calm down.

But he also said another option was to leave it how it is, if he was worried would he give me that option?

C'mon Shaun...You know what the answers are to your questions. You don't need others to answer that.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    C'mon Shaun...You know what the answers are to your questions. You don't need others to answer that.

FMP
    I know, my anxiety is just getting the better of me. I keep thinking I misheard stuff he said to me and he is actually worried about it.

As my anxiety was so bad I ended up ringing the ENTs secretary, she was very nice and understanding of my anxiety, she wrote a couple of questions down that I forgot to ask during my appointment and is going to email them over and either she or him will ring me back. She looked over my report from my appointment and said nothing indicates anyone was worried about cancer, she said the ENT has put my surgery into 'Priority 3' which is a non urgent category and could wait anywhere between 3 months to a year for surgery. She also said if the ENT was worried about cancer he would have me in a lot quicker than that and for more tests.

She also confirmed it is a thyroglossal duct cyst. I done the worst thing and googled chances of it being or turning into cancer and it says below 1%. But I just cant shake off this anxiety of it being cancerous.

So the secretary has just called me, she said she has spoken to the ENT about my concerns and he understands my anxiety, he once again said he very very sure there is no cancer in the cyst and all tests looked good. He told me to not to worry, he said he has put it down as urgent, but only because he knows how worried I am and wants to get it sorted for me. He said if he was concerned of cancer he would be having me in for an op ASAP, not waiting 3-6 months.

The secretary has told me to stop worrying and enjoy xmas but I cannot shake this bad feeling off.

I think you were given really good news. If they were at all troubled by it, as you were told, they would be doing things about it now. The fact they said you could leave it as it is shows there is nothing to worry about.

Draw a line under it and work on managing your anxiety. Do all the relaxation techniques you know and keep reassuring yourself there is nothing to worry about.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information