Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: US agencies call for pause in Johnson & Johnson vaccine

Re: US agencies call for pause in Johnson & Johnson vaccine

Nic, it's ironic that if you guys suddenly took a much harder stance on conduct there would be more people under the spotlight.

Yep, you can never please everyone. But we can accept that and not add to your stress. There is a triangle to flag posts, a contact function and even a published policy stating not to argue publicly with you over your decisions.

That’s what I’m saying Nic and VBJ, it’s not an easy job and no one has the answers to this, even the huge billion dollar platforms. You just do the best you can and at the end of the day, if people don’t like it, oh well. It’s the internet; it’s not perfect.

It’s all just emotions running higher than they already do on a site like this. We all do have to remember that this is a public platform and for every good person willing to assist and genuinely help, there will be another who just wants to be a d*ck about it for their own amusement.

There was a time when I wasted far too much time and energy on folk like that. Nowadays I just respond in kind and it’s only ever for the benefit of those folk who may become concerned by posts put there with the intent of stirring up worry.

The bottom line is that whilst this has been an incredibly trying year, to put it mildly, the end line is now in view. We’ll get there, we just need to keep the head a little while longer.

So I've been going through this thread and see a lot of anger and aggression (some name calling) towards a member who made a single simple post and never retaliated to the slings and arrows.

Sincere question here. How does admin differentiate between a so called troll and someone with a legitimate contrary opinion to some of the more vociferous members (and I won't say majority) on the site?

I've always relished a good tilt, physical or intellectual. Probably why I was a chief union steward for 20 years (an elected post btw). To get answers ya gotta ask questions. And whenever I was investigating a grievance I asked a ton of em. I'd talk and talk and talk to people involved. And sometimes yes it would get a little rough and tumble but 99.5% of the time things would get worked out. Shutting down debate, in my opinion, is not a good thing.

Respectfully,

N
    Last edited by Noivous; 21-04-21 at 14:19.

The question was posed to admin so I’ll let them answer that part, but assuming I’m one of the “vociferous” posters you refer to, I can only say that I’m very passionate about this and that sometimes manifests itself in very curt replies.

There was a bit of discussion about this a few days ago and I can honestly say I took a bit from those discussions. In short, maybe I need to check myself a little, try to see it from the other side etc.

I agree that it’s a shame to stifle honest debate, but I can see where you and others are coming from. The replies are a bit hard at times, but I’d have to assume that’s because people have genuinely been through the ringer with this virus and it’s just getting to us. That’s certainly true for me anyway, it’s affected me on a personal level. I had it, a few members of my family had it, a close friend of my mothers died from it in very tragic circumstances.

When it touches you like that on a personal level, it’s easy to let your heart speak rather than your head. No excuses though, I take responsibility for my part in turning these threads into shouting matches and can only say I need to breath a bit before replying.

I think it's when Covid has affected people personally and maybe tragically that it's hard to be tolerant when people question the severity of the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think it's when Covid has affected people personally and maybe tragically that it's hard to be tolerant when people question the severity of the threat.
    One day I’ll learn how to express a point perfectly and concisely.

This. 100% this.

Pulisa is indeed a gold shining star example of succinct observant accuracy. I cannae do it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It's affected me personally. And yes, it evokes an emotional response. Having dealt with people in real life and virtually that turn a blind eye to 'science' and 'facts', just strikes a chord in me. I understand everyone has a 'right' to their 'opinion' and 'beliefs' (and I urge you to look at the definition of those words) , but when those 'opinions' and 'beliefs' go against 'science' and 'fact', and can influence someone to do something that can actually threaten their life and the lives of others, I cannot and will not remain silent!

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thats the difficulty with all of this isn't it, the stakes are high, very high, infact life-threatening. An opinion or belief that doesn't affect others is no biggy, but if it does......

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information