Thread: Sertraline

Sertraline

I've just started taking sertraline today and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is it better to take them in the morning or at night?

Secondly, for the last couple of hours my right cheek has been hot and flushed. Could this be due to the tablets?

I don't want to know anything horrible because I'm anxious enough already! My husband has read the leaflet so I don't have to. I had a bad experience over 20 years ago with Seroxat and swore I'd never touch antidepressants again. But here I am, needing some help.

Many thanks, Dee

Re: Sertraline

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Dee..

No, you can't compare Seroxat (ugly poison - awful reactions and trouble getting off it) to sertraline - I was on it for years and only just recently changed to a different med due to the fact, that overtime, it stopped working (this happens). I was on 100MG for quite some time and it was helpful. Best to not read the side effect and reactions as they cause needless worry.

I hope you feel better soon and many people do very well on that med.

Best wishes

Thank you for your reply.

Doctor put me on 50mg to start but after reading alot of posts on here I've decided to halve it from today. I'm taking it in the morning but wondering if bedtime would be better? I feel a little woolly headed and squiffy tummy.

Very new to this and I do understand that it can take a couple weeks or so to settle. I just hate feeling so yucky.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
    I've just started taking sertraline today and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is it better to take them in the morning or at night?
    It probably won't matter, but try taking it at night first, Dee. If insomnia becomes a problem then switching to mornings may help, but there is no guarantee.

Secondly, for the last couple of hours my right cheek has been hot and flushed. Could this be due to the tablets?
    Probably. Serotonin isn't only a brain neurotransmitter. It has many other functions throughout the body including mediating blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation and SSRIs may impact these functions for a while.

I don't want to know anything horrible because I'm anxious enough already!
    The good news is that SSRIs don't usually do 'anything horrible'. Most people have no to only mild side-effects and those that do occur are rarely indicators of physical harm.

My husband has read the leaflet so I don't have to.
    A very good idea. Side-effects are not necessarily all due to the ADs. An anxious mind is quite capable of delivering out worst side-effects nightmares if given half a chance.

I had a bad experience over 20 years ago with Seroxat and swore I'd never touch antidepressants again
    What happened?

Doctor put me on 50mg to start but after reading alot of posts on here I've decided to halve it from today.
    A very good idea, 25mg for the first week is NICE's recommended starting dose for anxiety/panic.

I feel a little woolly headed and squiffy tummy.
    Both fairly normal. Stomach and gut issues are fairly common initial side-effects. The gut and the enteric nervous system, the mini brain which controls it is by far the most serotonergic organ of the body (and a significant influencer in anxiety and depression). It makes about 95% of the body's serotonin compared to less than 2% for the brain. Serotonergic antidepressants may affect its functions for a while which can cause side-effects such as heartburn, diarrhoea or constipation, nausea, etc. In most cases this settles down after a few weeks as bio-feedback mechanisms begin down-regulating serotonin synthesis and expression. Ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements are often effective for nausea and loperamide (Imodium) is usually effective for diarrhoea.

Thank you so much for the info, it's very much appreciated.

I hate taking anything, even paracetamol, so this is a big thing for me and I get anxious just thinking about it.

Seroxat - well, I remember feeling so poorly, couldn't function, sickness, diarrhoea. This was after a few months. I told Dr who said stop taking them immediately, so I did. Probably not the best advice and no ongoing support either.

So it put me off anything really, but I do know that hopefully just short term, I do need something to help and I'm hoping that any side effects will be mild. One thing I have noticed is that both times I've taken them so far, my throat feels sort of mucousy, for want of a better word. I get the same when I've had antibiotics. I guess it's nothing to worry about?

Dee

[QUOTE=Dee62;2000150) I hate taking anything, even paracetamol, so this is a big thing for me and I get anxious just thinking about it.[/quote]

Pill phobia is the freebie many of us along with our primary anxiety disorder, Dee. I'd have much preferred the steak knives!

Seroxat - well, I remember feeling so poorly, couldn't function, sickness, diarrhoea. This was after a few months. I told Dr who said stop taking them immediately, so I did. Probably not the best advice and no ongoing support either.
    It is rare for side-effects to begin that late. And, yes, definitely not the best advice. Sigh!

One thing I have noticed is that both times I've taken them so far, my throat feels sort of mucousy, for want of a better word. I get the same when I've had antibiotics. I guess it's nothing to worry about?
    I don't think it a cause for concern. It's better than the dryness of the mouth and throat and of other mucous membranes that some experience, imo.

Thread Information