Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Promazine and Tachycardia?

Promazine and Tachycardia?

Does anybody know if tachycardia is a side effect of promazine? When I take promazine I notice when I have panic attacks my heart rate sky rockets to 170bpm+. I haven't had promazine for a week now. I'm doing fine and I'm still taking my other medications. But the last 5 days I've had no tachycardia with a panic attack. My heart rate barely gets over 100 during a panic attack now.

I am convinced it's the promazine.

Medications: 40mg Quitapine, 40mg Paroxatine, 300mg Promazine, 6mg-10mg Diazepam
    Diagnosis: Panic disorder, General anxiety, Agoraphobia, Depression, Aspergers.

Re: Promazine and Tachycardia?

I have found this:

Promazine has an established link with a number ofadverse cardiovascular effects (hypotension,tachycardia/arrhythmia and QTc prolongation)Relative incidence and severity of side effects ishigher than other antipsychotics
    Tachycardia is mentioned there. As I'm having a better quality of life without promazine I'm going to remain off it and discuss my issues with my doctor on my next appointment

Medications: 40mg Quitapine, 40mg Paroxatine, 300mg Promazine, 6mg-10mg Diazepam

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Does anybody know if tachycardia is a side effect of promazine?

...I am convinced it's the promazine.
    It is a listed side-effect. Not that common, but it can occur and it might have been exacerbated by the other meds you're on.

I haven't had promazine for a week now.
    Just a note of caution, promazine has a relatively long half-life, plus some of the other meds you're taking may slow the rate it is metabolised, so you might yet begin to experience withdrawal effects. It is never a good idea to cold-turkey any psych drug, James.

- - DIY Covid-19 test: Wake up and smell the coffee - -

- - What to know about: Telepsychiatry | Teletherapy - -

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

Mate, just now I had a bit of panic, checked my pulse ... 78bpm. Now go back a week and look at my other thread in the panic section where I was experiencing tachycardia very regular. Nothing has changed except me not taking promazine.

I think the tachycardia was causing the anxiety. Not the anxiety causing the tachycardia. I say this because I know what my panic attacks feel like, and the tachycardia was lasting much longer than the panic attack. I was waking up in the night with tachycardia. Don't get that anymore either.

I'm not going back to that PDU. I'm taking my paraxotine, and the diazepam when I need them ... which this week has been sparingly. Had non today, or yesterday. Didn't need them.

I'm not going back to that drug. Ever. You've seen my struggle with this drug, and now I no longer have to struggle with it. That sir, is a positive change

Cheers though mate, you have been super helpful over the months and year regarding promazine.

Ps. Already had the side effects, they're gone now.

Well I'm still taking it, because not taking it is bad for my brain. But, when I do take it my resting heartrate sits at 100~. If I stand up and walk around its 120. But I do know for a fact that when I don't take it this goes away.

Am I meant to just live with this? Or is it a result of stopping and starting?

I know you're fed up with me by now PDU

Well I'm still taking it, because not taking it is bad for my brain. But, when I do take it my resting heartrate sits at 100~. If I stand up and walk around its 120. But I do know for a fact that when I don't take it this goes away.
    Have you discussed this with your doctors and if so what have they said?

Am I meant to just live with this? Or is it a result of stopping and starting?
    Increased heart rate is a known promazine side-effect, and it can affect heart rhythm too. If your GP knows about this and has done nothing about it then he needs a swift kick up the kazoo asap, imo, James.

First, I'd be demanding a 24 hour holter monitor to find out exactly what your ticker is doing. If it shows there is a problem then he should be prescribing something like solatol to wind back the heart rate and stabilize its rhythm if that is an issue, or urging your mental health team to switch you to another med with lower cardiovascular effects. The latter is, imo, by far the better solution. Having to take meds to ease the side-effects of other meds usually ends in the patient taking half their pharmacy's stock home every month. It can be a very slipper slope.

I know you're fed up with me by now PDU
    Nah, the mods send me a case or two of very smooth um...grape extract from the highlands by express courier whenever you post here James. I bottle or two followed by a haldol chaser and all is soon right with the world again!

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

I've mentioned it to her yes, but I think she just thinks its regular anxiety. I know for certain that when I don't take it I do not have this issue. Think I'm going to have to knock it on the head because taking a medication to counteract a side effect of another medication is not acceptable. Tell me more about the effect this med. has on the heart?

If I post more often, does that mean you can get more grape juice?

Just read the leaflet in the box and it does say it can cause fast heartbeat. I wonder how/why it does that.

I haven't had the doses I was meant to and my heartrate has gone down to its normal resting rate. I'll go without again and see if it goes away again. It must be a dangerous drug to cause these problems in people no?

Just read the leaflet in the box and it does say it can cause fast heartbeat. I wonder how/why it does that.
    Not sure, but most psych meds impact the heart to some degree, James. So does anxiety/stress and it is often a bigger danger long term than most meds are.

I'll go without again and see if it goes away again.
    I think you should discuss this with your GP first. Stopping and starting meds willy nilly can have physical and psych consequences.

It must be a dangerous drug to cause these problems in people no?
    It depends on the patient. Most taking it are probably unaffected. It is also probably less of an issue for healthy young adults than it would be for old farts like me. Being able to juggling competing risks is arguably the second most important skill a doctor needs after a good bedside manner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information