Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Natal depression and anxiety

Linda,

You have had a difficult time . Sorry to hear about your multiple bereavements.

But : Wow - well done . Glad your therapist is helping you past the palpitations thing . The rest you were well on your way with ..

ADC - its easier if you don't throw yourself in at the deep end but expose yourself gradually to things that scare you and repeat the same exposure until it feels comfortable and then move on .. Your CPN is right - avoiding is worse but gradual exposure is sensible in the long term. Well done for going .

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi Meg,
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. It has been hard and the worst thing I have done is not to deal with my emotions - I have never really 'broke down' and cried about any of the events that have happened and therefore not let out what I was really feeling. I just got on with whatever was happening at the time and thought I was ok! Obviously, my body has now been telling me otherwise. As you will know from my 'millions' of posting in 'symptons' I have found the palpitations/extra beats hard to deal with but I hope I am getting there now. I just want to have a better quality of life and not let them rule everything.

I will continue seeing my counsellor and hopefully deal with all of the issures properly - at last!

Linda

Hi Linjane,

Lets hope the counselling works for both of us, seems we both have a lot of issues to deal with. My mum comitted suicide when I was 15(25 now), so I know what it feels like to lose a parent. Its very hard isn't it? We've got a lot in common us two! Apart from being bonkers![:P]

Any luck with your doctor yet?

Shell.x

Hi Shell,
    How are you? So sorry about your mom, that must have been so hard. You never get over losing them either do you, especially when your children come along, I so wish that my mom had been hear to share them with me.
    Went to docs on Tuesday for a smear, but saw the nurse, not doctor, who is much nicer and actually listens! Went through everything - again - with her and she assured me that I was fine and defo didn't need beta blockers. She said that if I could avoid taking them it would be better for me! I read something the other day about heart disease and it was hardening of the arteries, and for some strange reason that made me realise that perhaps my palps etc were not a sympton of heart disease - don't ask me why perhaps I am bonkers!!! Anyway, I am really trying hard to block them out of my head instead of thinking about them 24-7 and when I saw my counsellor yesterday, I felt and so did he, that the session went much better, we started talking about issues we hadn't covered before and going over all of my past experiences, so hopefully as the weeks go on, I might get somewhere. I think they talk to you differently and so you might express stuff in a different way to them?
    Anyway, take care, better see what the kids are up to!
    Linda
    <b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Linjane,

Lets hope the counselling works for both of us, seems we both have a lot of issues to deal with. My mum comitted suicide when I was 15(25 now), so I know what it feels like to lose a parent. Its very hard isn't it? We've got a lot in common us two! Apart from being bonkers![:P]

Any luck with your doctor yet?

Shell.x

<div align="right">Originally posted by Cookie - 09 February 2005 : 20:04:53</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi ADC, Iv'e just seen your post and I really do feel for you.

I started with PND when my son was 5 months old in december 2000 and it started with a panic attack, although i didn't know it was a panic attack at the time and I thought I was about to die so I ended up in casualty and felt so stupid when they said it was only a panic attack as I really did think I was having a heart attack or a stroke or some other terrible illness. The feeling of panic was with me daily from that day on and it is a day I will never forget.

I ended up in a physchiatric unit for mothers and babies and it was hell on earth. i thought they might be able to help me but they were not very sympathetic and they made me feel like I was completely mad. i was convinced I had some terrrible illness not PND or anxiety and I thought I was going to die in there. I was not allowed any contact with my family for 2 days until I was assessed and I was made to feel like a bad mother and that I didn't have any real feelings. I was constantly watched by the staff in case I harmed my baby and this made me feel so guilty like they were expecting me to do something to him. The problem was with me not the way I felt about my baby but they just didn't seem to care. The final straw came when another patient who was male on the same ward as mothers and babies tried to break into my room and tried to strangle me. I was so scared that I phoned my mum and dad and begged them to get me out of there.

My parents came the next day and told the doctors that they wanted to take me home but the doctors didn't think it was a good idea as they didn't think I was ready to leave and that I might harm my baby. My dad said that he wasn't going to leave me there as he did't think it was safe for me or my baby. Eventually they agreed to discharge me on the condition that I returned the next day for another assessment. Well when I got home I was a complete nervous wreck still convinced that there was something seriously wrong with me and my boyfriend took my baby to bed and while he was upstairs I took an overdose of the medication they had given me. I don't think I really intended to take my own life but I couldn't see a way out as I was convinced that when I had to return to the psychiatric hospital the next day that they would detain me indefinately and I decided I couldn't face going back there because it was so horrendous.

Anyway to cut a long story short I suffered with PND for 4 years along with panic attacks on a daily basis and generalized anxiety. My family were a huge support but I don't think anybody can truly understand until they have experienced it for themselves. My boyfriend found it so hard to deal with and he still does not understand when I wake in the night with a panic attack convinced I am going to die. He just tells me to go back to sleep and tells me that I have been through it a thousand times and that I should be used to it by now. As you can imagine this doesn't reassure me at all and i just want him to talk to me and tell me that I will be O.K!

All I can say is there is light at the end of the tunnel, the best thing you can do is take one step at a time and don't feel guilty for being like this as you have been through such a traumatic time it is only natural. It has taken me nearly 5 years to start getting my life back together and I can honestly say that it doesn't seem to have had too big an effect on my son. he is a happy well adjusted child unbelievably, he is now settled at school and I am at college part-time. When I look back on my life I can't beleive what I went through and wonder how I ever survived but I have come through it although it has been a long hard struggle.

Believe me, things will get better for you it just takes time.

Take care and if you would like to email me please do so at lisarosemoore@msn.com. I will try to help as much as I can.

Love Lisaxxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information