Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are many parts of the US like this?

Are many parts of the US like this?

Found a video of a guy walking through the Harrogate section in Philly. Was very interesting but the amount of stores closed, and drug addicts, it's absolutely insane. I've never seen streets littered with so much rubbish either.

How typical is this in the US? The only references I've seen of the hoods are in movies, and the odd documentary. But this video is raw.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Are many parts of the US like this?

Well there was a news item some time back where a news reporter was photo bombed by a woman (with shopping bags) in the background on a Californian beach who just dropped her trousers and then...dropped something else. When you gotta go...

I do know Vee comes from California so if it was fox it might have been a very candid feedback about their quality...

I’d say there is a section like this is every major city. It’s no different than the shitty blocks in Westminster/Islington area.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Well there was a news item some time back where a news reporter was photo bombed by a woman (with shopping bags) in the background on a Californian beach who just dropped her trousers and then...dropped something else. When you gotta go...

I do know Vee comes from California so if it was fox it might have been a very candid feedback about their quality...
    That was on Venice. Homeless lady. I saw homeless people when I was in London.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I’d say there is a section like this is every major city. It’s no different than the shitty blocks in Westminster/Islington area.
    It's actually very different in my experience.

I once visited the States and toured the West Coast. We went through a few 'no go' areas, or rather drove by them and it was stark. Conversely, I used to go to school in South London and had to walk through what was considered a very rough estate which really wasn't that bad at all. Yes, there are some relatively dangerous parts of the UK, but nothing close to what I saw in the US, especially in LA.

I think it is in part the 'every man for himself' ethos of US culture.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    That was on Venice. Homeless lady. I saw homeless people when I was in London.
    Yes, when I used to commute into London every day I saw so many homeless. It’s very hard not to feel a range of emotions when you see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the same in every country Scass. Over here we have a shortage of rental properties and a lot more families are homeless,it’s a bit hard not too well up.

I think you see a lot more of this in the major cities. As you get more into the rural areas it’s not as prevalent (but sometimes it is lol). And yes, we definitely have a homeless population. Not much of an answer for you I’m afraid lol. I’ve not traveled outside the US (yet) so I can’t speak to that. But sure, we definitely have our rougher areas.

I think it's a problem pretty much the world over, and not exclusive to the USA and the UK.

Twas ever thus, and probably always will be.

Also, that 'problem' area of Philly is hardly representative of the entire country.

I'm with Joe on this one. I've lived in rough areas, a portion of my own family were hard drug addicts and ran a crack house here in the UK. I've still not seen anything on this scale. I know homelessness is a problem all over, I've been homeless too, but in this video there was multiple people shooting up in broad daylight like it was a normal thing. Tents pitched up on the sidewalk.

And yeah it does tug on the heart strings when you see people in this situation. The young drug slingers are killing their community with fentanyl. Taking the money straight out of the community and into criminal ventures.

The only areas I think come close are like Vee said, the rough estates in London where kids are working the corners and running drugs back and forth. You can't really walk those areas unless you live there.

I managed to have a chat with this guy yesterday because he premiered a video and was in the chat. Very cool guy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information