Thread: I’ve been agoraphobic – what I learned may help those with post-lockdown anxiety

I’ve been agoraphobic – what I learned may help those with post-lockdown anxiety

A good article in the Guardian today from someone who's suffered from agoraphobia and has some advice to pass on to people suffering from post-lockdown anxiety;

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...xiety-re-entry

Re: I’ve been agoraphobic – what I learned may help those with post-lockdown anxiety

A very interesting article. I don't have this problem, but I think there are many who are going to struggle over the next few months.

Re: I’ve been agoraphobic – what I learned may help those with post-lockdown anxiety

Yes I agree. Not just from agoraphobia either. Covid has been far more than a physical disease.

My supermarket order delivery guy was very chatty the other day - partly because it was one of those bagless deliveries so it took me ages to repack on the doorstep. Anyway .......he was talking about the vulnerable people, who had been a year with seeing practically nobody except him/them with deliveries. He was really moved by the tragedy of their lack of interaction and how unatural and damaging it was, to be trapped by a massive fear of the world and its danger for so long, with little face to face contact. He said he could see the way it had affected them in their faces and the things they were talking about and the tone of their conversation. Maybe thats why he was so chatty, as he viewed it as a short service to society to give a little contact to people ?

He sounds like a nice man Carys.
    I have a friend who works delivering prescriptions for people, and she has been given presents by some of them because she’s become one of the only people they see.

I would say I used to suffer from a form of agoraphobia in that I avoided places that made me panic to the point where I only went to work or the supermarket. I was in my early 20s at the time and I lost a few friends over it. This behaviour can become habit forming and lasted until in my early 30s I realised I was “fine” and started to do things again. It took me about 10 years to go on a train again - they are where my panic attacks started.
    I still avoid a lot of things socially, I can’t decide if I just don’t like them or if it’s my anxiety. Usually when I go I have a good time, but I’m generally the first to leave.

But yes, back to the point. A few weeks ago on my Sunday long walk, I thought I’d walk to our local high street as it’s been ages since I was there. I hated it, suddenly there were people all around me coming from all directions. I scurried home, miserable.

But that was my first time out, and I’m a lot better now I think. I’m going back to the supermarket regularly, I stand in a queue with school Mums twice a day & have a chat etc. I’ve gone to the park with a group of 6. I’m going back to work in the office on Monday which will be weird to be suddenly surrounded by people again. I told my boss that I would find it a bit unsettling, especially as we’ve moved offices since I was last in (December) and the majority of the team have been back since March. He very kindly sent me pictures of my desk & where it was and who I’d be sitting near.

So I think the answer is to do it gradually if you can, and to not be afraid to let people know that you are worried. My bosses didn’t know about my anxiety before lockdown, and it’s a shame they had to know, but I also know a lot more about them now too. Sometimes being open with someone you can trust will reap honesty and empathy in return.

I’ve learnt a lot by watching my daughter. She wants the fun in life, she’s so resilient to change and really does live in the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys

How lovely of him to take the time to talk with people. A lot of good has come out of Covid with regards to people talking and helping others who are struggling.

Scass

Well done going to the supermarket and I think your boss is amazing for reassuring you by sending you photos of your office space. You're absolutely right in being open with people.

Scass, I wish you all the very best for Monday. Your boss sounds very supportive. Maybe he "gets" what helps to alleviate anxiety? At least now many more people will get an understanding of how powerful anxiety can be and how distressing it can be for the sufferer.

Thanks both.
    Yes, he gets it Pulisa x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information