Thread: Fear of contamination from chemicals (acid) at work place

Fear of contamination from chemicals (acid) at work place

I work in a research environment where there is a chemical warehouse that utilizes surfuric acid. I have a phobia of chemicals so I wouldn't ever work with that stuff but I do have to go in there to grab paperwork and keys from people who do work with it. The sulfuric acid isn't currently being used but the warehouse workers handle the containers that the acid has been spilled on in the past. I am pretty freaked out because I grabbed some paperwork and keys from one of the employees after they were touching the container and now I am freaked out that the acid could have transferred from the container to his hand to the keys to my hand. I have been worried I might have a burn even though there are no marks and I am worried that things I touched are contaminated and could burn me later. It is scary too since sulfuric acid doesn't "Dry" so even though the spills are old they can still react with skin moisture. How do I get over this fear? I can't stop obsessing about it and the worry is driving me crazy

Re: Fear of contamination from chemicals (acid) at work place

I don’t understand about the chemicals, but you could replace the word chemical with any number of words and you’d still be much the same as anyone here who suffers with some kind of contamination fear.

I think you need to let it go. The practical reasons are that it’s obviously highly unlikely that you have been exposed. Am I right in thinking that all the other people who work there and also use the things that you’ve touched are fine?

I’m not an expert on how to stop this type of thinking, but the basis is that it’s a negative thought that you have ruminated on and allowed to grow. So you need to retrain your brain to stop reacting to these thoughts. Everyone has “what if” thoughts, but everyone also discards them too. Some of us focus on particular “what ifs” and then worry the crap out of them until they are all-consuming.

So. Recognise the instructive thought as what it is. Then distract yourself with something else, work or a grounding exercise. Practice relaxation and mindfulness.

Above all in your work environment practice safety, but recognise when you’re taking it too far.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Logarn View Post
    I work in a research environment where there is a chemical warehouse that utilizes surfuric acid. I have a phobia of chemicals so I wouldn't ever work with that stuff but I do have to go in there to grab paperwork and keys from people who do work with it. The sulfuric acid isn't currently being used but the warehouse workers handle the containers that the acid has been spilled on in the past. I am pretty freaked out because I grabbed some paperwork and keys from one of the employees after they were touching the container and now I am freaked out that the acid could have transferred from the container to his hand to the keys to my hand. I have been worried I might have a burn even though there are no marks and I am worried that things I touched are contaminated and could burn me later. It is scary too since sulfuric acid doesn't "Dry" so even though the spills are old they can still react with skin moisture. How do I get over this fear? I can't stop obsessing about it and the worry is driving me crazy
    If the acid had got on the handler's (and others) hands, they would have known about it before he'd handed you the paperwork. Depending on the surface, the acid would have reacted with that anyway.

It's not going to burn you because it's not there - and even if it did it's easily treated. It is nowhere near as dangerous as hydrofluoric acid, much loved by graffiti artists to etch glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    If the acid had got on the handler's (and others) hands, they would have known about it before he'd handed you the paperwork. Depending on the surface, the acid would have reacted with that anyway.

It's not going to burn you because it's not there - and even if it did it's easily treated. It is nowhere near as dangerous as hydrofluoric acid, much loved by graffiti artists to etch glass.
    Thanks for replying! I was kind of thinking that it would have burned their hands first but thought maybe they are used to small amounts from working with it. I don't know enough about sulfuric acid to know if it transfers from person to person the way I am worrying about. If any did it would be a very small amount and am not trace amounts are that much of a risk. It is very scary stuff to be around for someone with my phobia and OCD though and I need to get over the current worry of it transferring to my other items and burning me later. Do you know if trace amounts would keep burning your skin or if your sweat neutralizes it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I don’t understand about the chemicals, but you could replace the word chemical with any number of words and you’d still be much the same as anyone here who suffers with some kind of contamination fear.

I think you need to let it go. The practical reasons are that it’s obviously highly unlikely that you have been exposed. Am I right in thinking that all the other people who work there and also use the things that you’ve touched are fine?

I’m not an expert on how to stop this type of thinking, but the basis is that it’s a negative thought that you have ruminated on and allowed to grow. So you need to retrain your brain to stop reacting to these thoughts. Everyone has “what if” thoughts, but everyone also discards them too. Some of us focus on particular “what ifs” and then worry the crap out of them until they are all-consuming.

So. Recognise the instructive thought as what it is. Then distract yourself with something else, work or a grounding exercise. Practice relaxation and mindfulness.

Above all in your work environment practice safety, but recognise when you’re taking it too far.

What do you think?

Thanks, I will give that a try! I wasn't aware that so many other people had contamination fears before reading this site. I have recently started meditation so I will continue with that. My what if thoughts can be really bad so I need to work on that. I also feel that I may need to change careers since being around chemicals is so distressing for me

I’m glad you’ve started meditation, I do hope it helps.

I left my job once because I was so scared of having a panic attack on the train. So I got a new job without a train journey and my anxiety started about something else instead. We need to treat the anxiety and not avoid it.

I’m not trying to lecture you, I know what you’re going through is scary.

But yes, contamination thing is a real fear. I didn’t really realise until I joined here either. But you could substitute chemicals for lots of things on this board and find someone going through the same thing.

I am finding it hard to get over this current obsessive thinking. My imagination has been kind of running wild thinking that I got splashed with the acid on my clothes even though I don't remember that happening. Is it best to try to reason my way out of this? For example seeing that there are no holes in my clothes and that there would be if I got it on me? Or does that make it feel more real and continue the cycle?

I think that reasoning just eventually continues the cycle. It’s best to recognise it as an anxious thought and try to let it go. Have you ever tried cbt?

Thread Information