Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please can someone reassure me?

Please can someone reassure me?

Last night I had a horrible panic attack. I've not had one like it for many years. It was so bad we called the paramedics. A doctor came out, checked my pulse, BP, temperature, blood sugar, etc and all was absolutely fine. He said an ambulance was coming too, not because we needed it but because they could do an ecg. They arrived, did the ecg over half an hour or so, did all other obs again too. All absolutely fine. Pulse was over 107 to start but back to normal by the time they left. So why on earth am I having another one now when I've been reassured?? I've been fine all morning but started feeling a bit spacy which has made me panic.

Please reassure me if you can.

Many thanks, Dee

Re: Please can someone reassure me?

Hi Dee,

That’s a very scary experience for you. I’m really glad you were ok (physically). Just because you’ve had that reassurance it doesn’t mean all the fear has gone though, it’s still there and you must be so emotionally drained. You just need to ride it out, it’s not causing you any harm, so just let it go.

I’m glad you asked for help, talking about it is good.

What do you normally do on a Saturday Dee?

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly sure what you want reassurance of?

You say you had a panic attack, but you've had them before so you know what they are right?

I assume by now that you understand that panic can come and go without obvious reason (the actual reason is always stress), so what reassurance do you need?

In fairness Joe, panic attacks are frightening which is probably why she's asking for reassurance. Sometimes connecting with another human being who understands and empathises is enough to reassure in itself. Barking at them like a guard dog probably won't help.

Scass, thank you. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this. I should have been workday but didn't go in. Normally I walk our dog, potter about.

Fishman65, you're so right, I was terrified even though I knew what was happening. I just wanted to know there was someone else there.

Still not feeling great but getting there, I hope.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    In fairness Joe, panic attacks are frightening which is probably why she's asking for reassurance. Sometimes connecting with another human being who understands and empathises is enough to reassure in itself. Barking at them like a guard dog probably won't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
    Scass, thank you. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this. I should have been workday but didn't go in. Normally I walk our dog, potter about.

Fishman65, you're so right, I was terrified even though I knew what was happening. I just wanted to know there was someone else there.

Dee
    Yes, we know they're terrifying as we've all been there, but the nature of the reassurance required wasn't clear. I wasn't barking, I was asking a genuine question.

Yes Dee, it's common and plenty of other people out there going through exactly the same thing.

Rest assured that the panic attacks pass, and by far the best thing to do is try and just let them happen and then let them go. A pulse of 107 is absolutely fine. Mine would regularly go up to 180bpm when I had bad panic attacks, this lasted for nearly 10 years and at my worst I would get attacks 5-10 times per day. The reassurance you need is that I just don't have panic attacks any more, so they can be beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Yes, we know they're terrifying as we've all been there, but the nature of the reassurance required wasn't clear. I wasn't barking, I was asking a genuine question.

Yes Dee, it's common and plenty of other people out there going through exactly the same thing.

Rest assured that the panic attacks pass, and by far the best thing to do is try and just let them happen and then let them go. A pulse of 107 is absolutely fine. Mine would regularly go up to 180bpm when I had bad panic attacks, this lasted for nearly 10 years and at my worst I would get attacks 5-10 times per day. The reassurance you need is that I just don't have panic attacks any more, so they can be beaten.
    Apologies Joe I probably jumped in a little heavily there.

Dee, like Joe says the panic attacks will pass. From experience having an attack after a prolonged absence can make the panic feel worse, a kind of 'shock element' I call it. And I emphasise 'feel' worse rather than actually is. The spacey feeling is us being focused so hard on our body and what its doing, our surroundings can feel like they're receding. PM me if you want to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post

Dee
    Hi Dee,
    How are you feeling today?
    Don’t let them ruin your weekend. Getting out for some air is a great idea and will stop you wallowing. The best way to have a panic attack is to fear a panic attack.
    Maybe plan something gentle, but do try to do it x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you are feeling more settled this morning, Dee. You've had some great advice here. Have confidence in what the doctor and paramedics said? You probably will feel wobbly for a while yet but that's just the "aftermath". Take care of yourself today and try and do something small that you enjoy xx

Scass, pulisa, fishman65 and Joe

Thank you all for being so kind and understanding. I'm feeling better at the moment, just tired. I'm calling the doctor this morning to see if they'll sign me off for another week or so. It was just horrible and frightening coming out of nowhere, although I have been under alot of stress.

Last year, quite apart from the pandemic, was a challenge to say the least. My mum had her gallbladder removed and I went to stay with her in February; I broke my hip in June whilst out walking the dog and had to have a total hip replacement; my eldest daughter had meningitis; one of my sons and his partner had a baby and both mum and baby had septicaemia because she was left too long in labour before a c section, thankfully they are both OK. Then at the end of December my younger daughter gave birth to a stillborn baby girl at 7 months and I was with her. I arranged the funeral in January and all that goes with it, been visiting the grave almost every day. My Dr says it's probably stress overload and even possibly a touch of ptsd from breaking my hip. Who knows?? All I want is to feel like me again.

Dee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information