Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrified of the vaccine — can you share your experience?

Terrified of the vaccine — can you share your experience?

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get the vaccine with the next month or two. But I am so anxious...both my parents already for Pfizer, and so did my grandma and they were okay.

But I always have had a fear to take medication or anything like that so I am so nervous about getting the vaccine. I have also been having panic attacks lately about getting the virus. Seems like it’s getting very bad here lately in Toronto. Luckily I can work from home and don’t ever go out.

I have bad anxiety for both. Anyone can let me know their experience of the vaccine? I am hoping to get Pfizer.

Re: Terrified of the vaccine — can you share your experience?

But I always have had a fear to take medication
    Snap, I have a deep phobia of medication, any sort, I fear side effects and anaphylaxis. It has stopped me taking things in the past, including basic pain-killers. I nearly didn't have necessary surgery due to my intense fear.

I have my vaccine over a month ago now, bar a day of feeling fatigued and a wee bit of headache 24 for hours later, I was entirely fine. (Astra Zeneca) I got myself so worked up leading up to it, since the time I knew many months ago that they were developing vaccines - so a long way back. In the weeks leading up to having it I lost some weight, was very anxious and sleepless, all for 2 minutes of something that was actually easy. I forced myself to go, sweating and shaking LOL, as I realised my fear was stopping me from getting something very important for my own health security. Also, as life progresses, and we age, we are all going to need to get used to needing some treatments - so I viewed it as an important step in taking some control of my phobia.
    Last edited by Carys; 18-04-21 at 22:08.

Both the wife and I had the 1st dose of the Pfizer on the 1st and other than feeling kinda crap for around 48 hours, nothing out of the ordinary. I would equate it to the flu vaccine with an extra kick. We're due for the 2nd on the 22nd and I expect the same thing. The peace of mind knowing you're protected far outweighs the worry of getting the vaccine or COVID I assure you!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Both the wife and I had the 1st dose of the Pfizer on the 1st and other than feeling kinda crap for around 48 hours, nothing out of the ordinary. I would equate it to the flu vaccine with an extra kick. We're due for the 2nd on the 22nd and I expect the same thing. The peace of mind knowing you're protected far outweighs the worry of getting the vaccine or COVID I assure you!

Positive thoughts
    I had my first shot of Pfizer on 26th February and apart from a bit of discomfort at the spot where the needle went for about 2 days or so, no problems for me at all.

Try not to get too embroiled in all the scaremongering hype doing the rounds on social media about detrimental vaccine side effects.

I also have a pretty severe medication phobia. I have had both doses of Pfizer. Dose one I had zero side effects other than a mildly sore arm where the needle hit. That went away in a couple days. Had dose 2 21 days later. About 36 hours post second dose, I had a fever of 100 (so not really even classified as a “fever”), but was enough to give me some minor aches, chills, and fatigue. I took one dose of tylenol and went to bed. Next morning I was back to normal again. It really wasn’t bad at all. I’d get it again in a heartbeat. Just the knowledge that I’m much, much more protected than I was before is enough to make my anxiety levels drop over the whole thing. I’ve been pretty anxious about catching Covid as I’m an essential worker and have not been working from home this last year. I’m also morbidly obese so chances of a rough time should I catch it were higher. I’m 41 and Female.

I totally understand your fears. But I believe this is one instance that if you battle back against your fear, you’ll feel so much better having done so.

Thank you all so SO much! You have really helped with my vaccine anxiety. Hearing positive stories compared to what has been over social media, is so refreshing.

I actually WANT to get my vaccine sooner now. I hope more appointments open up so I can get it soon. Thank you again ♥️

Quote Originally Posted by jennclark View Post
    Thank you all so SO much! You have really helped with my vaccine anxiety. Hearing positive stories compared to what has been over social media, is so refreshing.

I actually WANT to get my vaccine sooner now. I hope more appointments open up so I can get it soon. Thank you again ♥️
    You're extremely welcome, Jen.

Social media really sucks at times and IMO is one of the main scourges of contemporary society, especially as a means of spreading misinformation, even pre-pandemic.

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit disappointed if it suddenly vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow, but that will never happen and it's here to stay.

To the OP: I had Pfizer. Arm hurt a little bit around the injection site for 24 hours and I felt more tired than usual for 48 hours. Then back to normal, whatever that is

Jen, I had the AZ jab and had no side effects whatsoever - despite stocking up with paracetamol etc just in case. My mother (86) had the pfizer jab and was equally unaffected. I completely get why people are a bit nervous but it's a huge relief once done... Good luck!

I haven't had a vaccination yet myself but similar to you, my parents and grandma have all had it, all of them have underlying conditions, and they had no side effects at all - I think my gran had an achy arm but that was it. Try not to worry, I've had covid and I will 100% take the vaccine any day over having covid again! The worst you'll have is a fluey feeling for a couple of days but you'll be fine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information