Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has being in certain shops ever had weird effects on you?

Has being in certain shops ever had weird effects on you?

Aside from my fear of store managers as a little kid due to my mom insidiously warning me about them taking me into the back of the store and physically chastising me for misbehaving in said shops, as I have already mentioned in the other thread, there have been others that had really strange effects on me, again mostly when I was a little kid.

Our local Co-op 'superstore' (not the local convenience store I mentioned in the other thread whose manager-cum-butcher I was scared witless of) always used to make me feel nauseous, especially with the odours of cooking meat and the in-store bakery wafting through the place, coupled with the fluorescent overhead lighting and general ambient acoustics. Horrible, horrible place!

I also remember our local Boots store also used to have real odd effects on me as a 5-year-old back in 1982, as for some strange reason (dare I say it) the place used to cause me to have 'stiffies', especially when stood by the pharmaceutical counter, and I remember seeing the staff working behind said counter wearing white coats with the Boots logo embroidered on the upper front pocket. I wonder if it might have been a weird side-effect of ingesting any stray pharmaceutical-related airborne chemicals in said store?

Also on the one occasion around that same era when I was in that same store, by some sheer coincidence Marvin Gaye's then-current hit single 'Sexual Healing' suddenly started playing on one of those portable boombox cassette players behind the record counter, and most ironically I was triggered and 'turned on' by the seemingly innocuous percussive sounds in the intro to that song, played by an electronic drum machine, despite being only 5 at the time, and of course unaware of all things sex in general.

Shoe repair shops were (and still are) horrible in particular because of the glue fumes, and have made me feel like gagging and/or passing out on occasions.

Anyone have any more bizarre shop-related effects they have encountered to share?

Re: Has being in certain shops ever had weird effects on you?

IKEA does it for me lol. I don’t know if you guys have those over there but it’s like a huge winding maze with no good way out from start to finish. Had a whopper of a panic attack in there and I haven’t been back since. One day I will tackle this monster but it won’t be today lol.

I do get panic attacks in public stores, but I have awful agoraphobia so its a struggle for me to go out anyway. I can't go into stores where there are high pressure salesmen.

Never ever, ever

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Actually, M&S always made me feel a little 'floaty', but I know it's not psychosomatic as this was decades before I ever experienced any kind of anxiety. Even as a kid I would feel a little light headed in those stores when my Mum took me in there.

No.

I still get stiffies standing near the perfume counter...

In my town we have a big circular covered market. I love what they sell there, but the confusing layout and the weird echoes really mess with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I still get stiffies standing near the perfume counter...
    Is this specifically in Boots stores or just generally in all shops with a perfume counter?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    In my town we have a big circular covered market. I love what they sell there, but the confusing layout and the weird echoes really mess with me.
    In our town centre there is a mini-indoor market/shopping arcade where the odours wafting from the cafe in there cause me mega discomfort, and I tend to give that place a wide berth, which of course is easy-peasy now I'm an adult, though it would have been hell on earth for me as a kid!

Having said that, the cafe in there didn't exist back then, so I got off lightly.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information