Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has being in certain shops ever had weird effects on you?

Re: Has being in certain shops ever had weird effects on you?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I can't walk within 300 yards of Lush without getting a migraine.

Primark fills me with rage - not sure why.

Ikea disorientates me and I always come out having eaten meatballs (I don't even like them) and having purchased a pack of 500 tealights!

I dislike shoe shops on account of them smelling of 'feet'.

I have quite a long list actually, but I'll stop there..
    <OT>

Its nice to see you back: NoraB

<OT>

I can't walk within 300 yards of Lush without getting a migraine.

Primark fills me with rage - not sure why.

Ikea disorientates me and I always come out having eaten meatballs (I don't even like them) and having purchased a pack of 500 tealights!

I have quite a long list actually, but I'll stop there..
    Nice to see you back Nora, really hope you're OK as you've been away from here for a bit.

Whilst I hate the stench of bad feet (and not forgetting BO), I don't have an aversion to shoe shops, and I quite like the smell of new leather, and new shoes in general.

Some charity shops though, make me heave, especially the more neglected ones that haven't been redecorated or modernised since at least the 90s, with cranky volunteers working behind the till, some of whom have been known to reek of BO, unwashed clothing and/or bad feet.

Don't get me wrong. I don't intend to be prejudiced in any way as I totally understand that there are certain individuals who have medical conditions beyond their control that may cause them to pong a bit, but of course there are always those who are just pure bone idle scruff bags who simply can't be bothered with decent basic personal hygiene and general appearance!

And not always 'poor' people either, contrary to popular belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

Some charity shops though, make me heave, especially the more neglected ones that haven't been redecorated or modernised since at least the 90s, with cranky volunteers working behind the till, some of whom have been known to reek of BO, unwashed clothing and/or bad feet.

Don't get me wrong. I don't intend to be prejudiced in any way as I totally understand that there are certain individuals who have medical conditions beyond their control that may cause them to pong a bit, but of course there are always those who are just pure bone idle scruff bags who simply can't be bothered with decent basic personal hygiene and general appearance!

And not always 'poor' people either, contrary to popular belief.
    That charity shop smell is cumulative residual body odour .... remember it well from when I volunteered in a charity shop when I was at school. Still makes me gag when I go in these places. Problem is that - and charity shop workers have explained this phenomenon - that even if donated clothes are washed prior to being donated, when you put together clothes worn next to the body from up to a hundred different owners you get a residual smell of those body odours concentrated in one small place. When they steam the clothes it just promotes that smell which you probably wouldn't notice otherwise. Think of dogs and cats - you don't really notice the smell of the average well maintained mut - but when that animal has been drenched with water in the rain or in a river ... boy get a whiff of that fur and natural oils from the skin ... smells foul doesn't it?

One time, I went to a random antique shop while on a road trip. Got a really bad/uncomfortable vibe and left as soon as possible. Idk why? It just looked like a regular antique shop.

I had a lot of similar age siblings growing up, and we used to play hide and seek in Walmart, so I actually have fond/nostalgic memories when I walk through the clothes racks there.

I don't really care for McDonald's, but that's because I worked at one and I have bad memories attached to it.

I personally love the vibes or local (not chain) coffeeshops, especially if they have relaxing background music/jazz. It just sets the mood. If I could, I would live in one. Constant peace of mind.

Could be worse, you could work there like poor Al Bundy...

P.S. welcome back MrsB, great to see you. Hope all is well

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

Thanks for the welcome back Len, Scissel73 and Terry - it's nice to be back!

I read an article on charity shops recently where one of the volunteers was saying how some people put dirty underpants in the charity bags!

What kind of filth-monger donates their skidded undies to charity?

I only ever donate things I've fallen out of love with, but which are still in good condition - underwear excluded!

There's probably people that collect those dirty knickers

If you reach celebrity status you get to sell them for big money (I hear Tom Hardy has an old holy pair going )

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    (I hear Tom Hardy has an old holy pair going )
    In his case, I'd make an exception..

Yes I have experienced that weird feeling - I have been into a small shop that looks scary with all the antique things and a few things used in spiritism. I can hardly breathe so I went out immediately. That was some kind of feeling I don't want to feel again.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Could be worse, you could work there like poor Al Bundy...

P.S. welcome back MrsB, great to see you. Hope all is well
    Phwoarr!! What a pen and ink!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information