Thread: Freaking out about memory loss with forgetting names

Freaking out about memory loss with forgetting names

Im bilingual so my kids have both English and another name in my native language. We only use my son’s English name regularly since he was born (2 years).

When I’m tired or under anxiety, I had 2 incidents where i cannot remember his native name (which I don’t use) instantly. It took me like at least a min to remember his native name. Weird thing is I never have issue forgetting his English name or anyone else’s name in the family.

It freaked me out because it happened twice. Is this a sign of dementia? I’m thinking of asking my doctor but I’m so scared of what would come. I usually forget things like my phone. However forgetting my kid’s native name twice in a span of 6 months scares the crap out of me. I’m trying to tell myself that because I don’t use it, my brain doesn’t associate it with my son. Instead it uses the English name instead. Then my other side tells me I have memory loss issue or early sign of dementia.

Then when I type on the phone daily, my finger would go too fast and type typos because it picks the letter next to the correct letter that I want, like I would type “y” instead of “u”. So I have to slow down my typing and look at the phone keyboard when I type to avoid this.

I’m only 41 years old

Can someone knowledgeable in memory loss give me some input. My physical checkup is in June and I will bring this up to my doctor.

Thanks
    Last edited by nhelen79; 19-04-21 at 16:25.

Re: Freaking out about memory loss with forgetting names

Being unable to instantly recall your son's little used name when tired, or anxious is not a sign of dementia. Forgetting he's your son will be.

If forgetting names was a sign of dementia then I must have been born with it. Some days I'm not even sure of my own.

Same goes for phones and car keys. Most of the time we haven't actually forgotten where we left them because we never memorised it in the first place. We just dropped them while our attention was elsewhere. The time to worry is when you've got a phone in your hand and don't know what it's for.

This is a massive overreaction.

"I’m trying to tell myself that because I don’t use it, my brain doesn’t associate it with my son"

This, along with being tired/stressed is all that's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Being unable to instantly recall your son's little used name when tired, or anxious is not a sign of dementia. Forgetting he's your son will be.

If forgetting names was a sign of dementia then I must have been born with it. Some days I'm not even sure of my own.

Same goes for phones and car keys. Most of the time we haven't actually forgotten where we left them because we never memorised it in the first place. We just dropped them while our attention was elsewhere. The time to worry is when you've got a phone in your hand and don't know what it's for.
    Thank so much. I forget my phone all the time but I still know how to use it. The past few months, I’m under a lot of stress due to many things and lack of sleep too. Even when I type on the phone, I make typo like typing the neighboring letter on the iPhone keyboard instead of the correct letter. Ugh.
    Maybe what I need is full sleep

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    This is a massive overreaction.

"I’m trying to tell myself that because I don’t use it, my brain doesn’t associate it with my son"

This, along with being tired/stressed is all that's going on.
    Yes, anxiety is override. Thanks

Thread Information