Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of cadmium poisoning

Fear of cadmium poisoning

Well, I don't know if this belongs here or elsewhere, but yesterday I managed to stab myself in the eye with a screwdriver that I'd just undone a screw, fuzzy with cadmium fur with. I don't know if it was the eye itself I hit, or the lower eye lid but I've been worried ever since - I'm worried I'll have got enough in my eye to be fatal.

I really am struggling at the moment with just about everything, and tired too. Stuff like this just makes it worse.

Does it ever stop, or is death the only way out?

Re: Fear of cadmium poisoning

A quick google tells me its 'inhaling fumes' that is the issue, not contact.

Cadmium is a naturally occurring metal. It is usually present in the environment as a mineral combined with other elements like oxygen, chlorine, or sulfur.
    Urrrg and Ewwwww about the eye !!

Pretty much what I've determined over my twenty year obsession with this metal, and thinking about it the points of contact on a screwdriver would be tiny, I suppose. Doesn't stop me worrying though.

It happened of course because I was trying to move my overly-long hair away from my eyes and forgot I had the screwdriver in my hand (seriously). I mentioned it to a colleague (the stabbing, not the cadmium) and she said "that's a bit... morbid?".

She thought I did it deliberately.

Pretty much what I've determined over my twenty year obsession with this metal
    Then....you already know LOL and after a 20 year obsession and no poisoning I guess there is evidence it aint gonna happen.

First time I've stuck it in my eye though.

Thing is... every day's a struggle. What's going to kill me today? It seems never ending, and I just want it to stop but I am getting worried that death is the only way out.

I feel a bit cold today, and my nasal passage feels irritated. That'd be commensurate with poisoning, but at the same time I was exposed to a lot of dust yesterday and it's cold where I work - and I can't separate these out.

Please keep yourself safe, PM?

Do you think you maybe need a little extra help right now?

In an ideal world, I'd go to bed and sleep it off - but this world isn't ideal.

Hang in there, okay? Anxiety is evil but we're thinking of you.

Thanks. I'm almost in tears at the moment, but even work isn't providing enough of a distraction.

I need a different, safer hobby.

You are very knowledgeable about so much, PM. Have you got any ideas for a new project? Renovations etc?

You're coming off long term antidepressants..The last bit is the worst bit and you'll be tested.

Would you be up to talking to your new GP if you found things were just too overwhelming? He sounded clued up and not just interested in doling out meds liberally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information