Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Health Anxiety preventing me from getting Covid-19 Vaccination

Re: Health Anxiety preventing me from getting Covid-19 Vaccination

WOw, major step, and yes of course you can cancel, its not an issue and they will be used to it. Maybe you cancel, then make again, maybe you cancel a second time, but you will eventually get there at your own pace I believe. Not only are medical facilities open on a Sunday; ambulances, hospitals and medical staff just as during the week, it'd be quieter if you needed to be seen as there are no outpatients appointments Seriously though, onsite at the vaccination facility itself they have all medical equipment necessary for adverse reactions, and stacks of medical staff/nurses - you really couldn't be in a better place for help IF you were to need it. However, you won't need it, just like me. If you did get a fever, then as you say you will know why and know that it will end rapidly and that its just an immune response. If you get a panic attack, then so be it, its a panic attack, adrenaline, fear and nothing more and it won't kill you.

Hi Dan, Every sentence you have written could have been me describing myself exactly. We live in constant torture don't we. I'm siting here with a slight sore throat thinking the worst. I was offered a vaccine at home as I am agoraphobic and when I asked what the vaccine was and she told me AZ I politely declined. I really hope you are able to go through with it Dan, if you can't then I totally understand. The minutes/hours/days that will follow of checking/scanning will be more torture. I totally get it. I am so sorry you suffer as I do with HA. It's hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Not only are medical facilities open on a Sunday; ambulances, hospitals and medical staff just as during the week, it'd be quieter if you needed to be seen as there are no outpatients appointments
    Hi Carys, Hope you are well! Thanks for the words of encouragement - and you're right that Sundays might be a more quiet day to get any medical advice. I'm sure this week is going to fly by, it's already Wednesday tomorrow so the appointment will soon creep up on me, but hopefully I'll get it done and then much like yourself I can stick around to re-assure others who are also strugging with "vaccine anxiety".

Quote Originally Posted by laura442 View Post
    Hi Dan, Every sentence you have written could have been me describing myself exactly. We live in constant torture don't we. I'm siting here with a slight sore throat thinking the worst. I was offered a vaccine at home as I am agoraphobic and when I asked what the vaccine was and she told me AZ I politely declined. I really hope you are able to go through with it Dan, if you can't then I totally understand. The minutes/hours/days that will follow of checking/scanning will be more torture. I totally get it. I am so sorry you suffer as I do with HA. It's hell.
    You're absolutely right Laura, it's worrying to think about the days after the jab where being on guard and scanning for any problems could easily cause health anxiety to escalate.
    I'm sorry to hear it's something you struggle with too. Health anxiety can be absolutely terrifying. Your mind can play all sorts of tricks on you and create real physical symptoms that leave you feeling like you're in serious trouble.

It's for this reason that I think it may be important to stay quite busy after the vaccine!

Given that you said you share a lot of the same anxiety that I do, do you think that if I go ahead with it and can post a success story, this might help encourage you to get the vaccine yourself?

Well done!
    I hope you manage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anxious_dan View Post
    You're absolutely right Laura, it's worrying to think about the days after the jab where being on guard and scanning for any problems could easily cause health anxiety to escalate.
    I'm sorry to hear it's something you struggle with too. Health anxiety can be absolutely terrifying. Your mind can play all sorts of tricks on you and create real physical symptoms that leave you feeling like you're in serious trouble.

It's for this reason that I think it may be important to stay quite busy after the vaccine!

Given that you said you share a lot of the same anxiety that I do, do you think that if I go ahead with it and can post a success story, this might help encourage you to get the vaccine yourself?

Hi Dan, that's a really good plan to try and keep busy. Distraction really helps when my anxiety/panic starts. Absolutely my mind is my worst enemy
    :( and yes it can cause physical symptoms, it's crazy. A lot of mine is centered on my heart.

I think it would give me hope if you can have it done and update us on how you are feeling, although it is supposed to affect women more due to the lack of testosterone apparently x

Given my anxiety about "blood clots", I wanted to do a little bit of research and write a post on this thread partly to help myself and partly to help anyone else who reads.

My vaccine is coming up this Sunday, it's likely to be Astrazenica and I wanted to find out how common these blood clots are.

The most recent information I could find is from the Daily telegraph posted today - 4th May. They state there have been 168 cases of blood clots following AZ. And 32 deaths.

Gov.uk lists the number of first dose AZ vaccines given as being approximately 22 million.

So as a very crude calculation, 168 cases as a percentage of 22,000,000 turns out to be approx: 0.0007%

32 deaths as a percentage of 22,000,000 works out as approx: 0.0001%.

By these very rough calculations, I have a 99.9993% chance of NOT getting a blood clot, and a 99.9999% chance of NOT dying from a blood clot.

Factors increasing the risk of clots include being overweight, smoking, or being unable to move for lengthy periods of time - none of which effect me.

I also saw on the gov uk site that a clot would result in a severe headache, possibly with blurred vision, shortness of breath, chest pain, ect.

Knowing how bad my health anxiety is- I've got absolutely no doubt I'll end up with at least one of these symptoms panicking that it's a clot. Especially given that I suffer from shortness of breath with allergies and get regular tension headaches.

So in anticipation of this, I need to stay focussed on:

1) how rare it would be to get a clot. the figures above mean my odds of having a clot are close to zero

2) distinguish the severity of the symptoms (i.e. a regular headache or feeling a bit short of breath is not the same as a severe headache and being breathless to a debiliating point).

I also want to try to consciously focus on the positives; that this pandemic operates on a social level but also on a personal level, and whilst I cannot control the social aspect of the pandemic, I do have a bit of control over how it effects me on a personal level and by getting the vaccine I'm protecting myself and my family. It would provide a good deal of re-assurance.

This was probably a bit of an over the top post analysing this situation but I mostly wanted to write this down to try and overcome some of these fears in preparation for the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Well done!
    I hope you manage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Scass!

This was probably a bit of an over the top post analysing this situation but I mostly wanted to write this down to try and overcome some of these fears in preparation for the vaccine.
    I think its great. You are working so hard at this, its fantastic, all credit to you. I was going to also add, if you do get a grotty day (as I did) then be ready to actually look upon it as a rest/relax/lie around and watch t.v., play games and generally not feel obliged to do anything much day. Kind of turn it into a positive thing if you can, as you know you don't have COVID and you know it'll be self-limiting. SO, make the most of it in 'looking after yourself and taking it easy'
    Last edited by Carys; 04-05-21 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I think its great. You are working so hard at this, its fantastic, all credit to you. I was going to also add, if you do get a grotty day (as I did) then be ready to actually look upon it as a rest/relax/lie around and watch t.v., play games and generally not feel obliged to do anything much day. Kind of turn it into a positive thing if you can, as you know you don't have COVID and you know it'll be self-limiting. SO, make the most of it in 'looking after yourself and taking it easy'
    Thanks Carys - I appreciate yourself and others who stick around on this forum and provide this kind of re-assurance after having the vaccine, it's really helpful.
    I may have to get some movies and paracetemol ready for Monday then just in case lol.
    Out of interest, from what you have read or experienced, would you say once someone is past roughly the 3 or 4 day mark after the vaccine, that they should generally be fine? What I mean by this is, are there any reports of people being unwell for over a week or more OR having a delayed onset (being fine for a week then suddenly having symptoms)?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information