Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Football now the latest subject of protests

Re: Football now the latest subject of protests

Knives were certainly around in my youth but it was bottles that got used more. Broken bottles.

Glaswegians older than me would definitely know of higher knife crime.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Knives were certainly around in my youth but it was bottles that got used more. Broken bottles.

Glaswegians older than me would definitely know of higher knife crime.
    Yes, I recall people talking about 'glassings' far more back in the 90s and early 2000s, and I think 'aggro' overall was actually more commonplace in pubs, nightclubs, etc back then.

I think nowadays our general perception of threats and potential hazards is far greater than the reality.
    Also I'm not sure if shootings and stabbings are actually more prevalent in such places nowadays than previously, especially as security is usually far more stringent at the 'higher-risk' venues.

Someone posted a thread on here a couple of years ago (pre-pandemic) about the violent crime 'epidemic' in London and their 'fear of getting killed', and someone mentioned that they recall there being similar problems back in the early-mid 90s, but it didn't really seem to trouble the media back then to the same extent that it does today, unless it was extremely serious, of course.

Plus of course we didn't have 24/7 rolling news channels, let alone social media, back then.

Neither were CCTV cameras as widespread back then as they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I was due to go to a Pete and Bas gig but it was called off due to COVID. I was looking forward to it to be honest. The anxiety would have been all over the place, but I often find once you're there it's not as bad. It depends on the size and behavior of the crowds though. I haven't been to a venue in a very long time, but oddly the terroist attack isn't something that causes me to worry. It didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it.

Clubbing today is much different to what it was. I think every generation says this, but when I went to clubs there was the odd punch up but rarely people getting stabbed, or killed. It feels more commonplace now. It doesn't matter what genre of music you're into, you can bet there will more than 1 fight at the venue that night.

Entering a mosh pit is on the bucket list though.
    A band that me and my dad have known for years actually did a tour supporting Roy 'Chubby' Brown back in the mid-90s, and they played a venue in the Gtr Mancs area (ironically at the height of all the 'Gunchester' hysteria), and there were people in the audience with guns and machetes at said venue, and hardly anyone seemed to bat an eyelid at the time.

Even the band members, of which three of whom are female (including the lead singer) seemed dead brave at the time, but probably wouldn't even dare to take such chances in such a potential 'life-or-death' situation nowadays.

Plus I doubt venues like that with such lax security would even be allowed to exist today, either!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information