Thread: Possible C Diff? Nervous!

Possible C Diff? Nervous!

Hi everyone

So, a week and a half ago, I finished a three day dose of antibiotic for a UTI. I was put on bactrim and while I was on it, I made sure to take a probiotic since I know antibiotics can wipe out all your good bacteria and mess with your gut flora.

While I was on it, I experienced a little nausea even though I made sure to eat. No serious issues though. Well, ever since I got off this antibiotic, I’ve noticed that I keep having soft stool. It is well formed most of the time, but soft. I’ve had a little bit of abdominal discomfort as well after eating. What really made me panic was yesterday, I had to go and I noticed that my stool looked a little watery with some thin stool. This was a one time thing, but ever since I’ve been worrying I have C diff.

I have been told by people that I would know if I had c diff as I’d be running a fever and would be going to the bathroom A LOT. I don’t have any of these symptoms though so I’m trying to be rational. My mind is going to the worst possible places though.

My question is is it normal to have stomach upset and soft stool after antibiotic use? If it doesn’t resolve soon, I am going to set up a doctor appointment but I’m really trying to be rational right now.

Re: Possible C Diff? Nervous!

It is, and it can take a long time for your body and GI to recover from being on antibiotics. You will have to adjust your diet accordingly to get your colon moving again normally. A good fiber plant based diet will go a long way to improve your symptoms and you could try a good quality yogurt to restore natural flora, because the antibiotics also kill the good bacteria that keep everything in balance.

If it doesn't resolve, or you don't feel well, It wouldn't hurt to get in touch with your doctor.

Take care.

Thread Information