Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lump on left ovary-waiting for follow up

Lump on left ovary-waiting for follow up

I’ve had lower left side pain for about 4 months on and off. At its worse it feels like a burning ball of fire in there. I get pain that shoots upwards and down my left thigh. Terrible lower back aches too. Sometimes after sex it’s worse, and I have irregular bleeding but have always put this down to the coil. Had an ultrasound on my ovaries 2 days ago and the radiographer said I’ll need another scan to have a better look as she’s unsure what is on my left ovary. Said it looked like a cyst but not clear which type. She said more but as my head went crazy with panic it’s all a bit of a haze. She told me results would take a week to get to my GP but today I’ve had a message from my doctor to book an appointment to discuss the results. Currently freaking out about what the results are, why they’ve contacted me so quickly etc etc. I’ve gone straight to worse case scenario here! Has anyone had anything similar and it all turn out ok?
    I’m 39 and have 5 children.

Re: Lump on left ovary-waiting for follow up

Hello,
    Yes I had pretty much the same thing.
    The sonographer told me there was a cyst on my ovary. Although he didn’t quite use those words but I can’t remember exactly what he said. He couldn’t tell me what kind of cyst either, and I was referred to a gynaecologist on a 2 week pathway. I had to have some blood tests, another internal ultrasound and an MRI.
    It came back as a cyst that was full of “debris” possibly from my emergency Caesarian. 2 years later & it had disappeared.

I know it’s hard not to worry, but you are in the system now and they are going to get to the bottom of all this discomfort you are having.
    I read ALOT about cysts when I was diagnosed and I can tell you that is almost unheard of for them to be anything “sinister” at your age.

It’s horrible waiting for results, but keep yourself busy and try not to google because it doesn’t help.

Let us know how you get on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps. Also, my results came through quicker too - in fact my gp said they usually have them next day, but say 5 days just in case.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have an appointment to speak about the results tomorrow morning. I know I’ll need further tests, just petrified about what they will show. I’ll update once I know any more. You’re right I must stay off Google, I’ve made this mistake hundreds of times!

Yes, see what the doctor says and then manage it from there. Don’t be scared of asking questions or telling them how scared you are.

Good luck for today, Anna..I do hope you find out more from your GP after talking to him/her. Getting referred quickly doesn't automatically mean worst case scenario and it's best to get seen as soon as possible anyway when you are very anxious. Far better to get a definitive diagnosis for yourself rather than consulting Dr Google x

Thank you ladies. Spoke to the GP this morning. She has booked me in for blood tests tomorrow morning and is arranging a fast track scan follow up at the local hospital. She was a different GP than I spoke to last time and was a little concerned by my symptoms of spotting/pain. I broke a bit on the call and explained how anxious I was and she understood and said she would arrange all the necessary tests to rule things out. She did mention ‘tumour markers’ when talking about the different blood tests she’s arranging which has me panicking.

The CA-125 blood test and an internal ultrasound are the standard combination tests when looking at ovarian cysts. Fast tracking you will at least get you a very quick appointment and clarity as to what type of cyst this is. Of course you are panicking because not knowing is awful and the waiting game is torment..Do you have anyone to talk to about this?

Yes I’m not good with the unknown! I have a partner but honestly he is so sick of me worrying that I’m dying that I’ve got to shut up about it. I’m currently freaking out about mouth cancer too at the moment-he can’t take much more. I’ve chatted to my mum and a friend today, they’ve told me the same as you have. I should be grateful that I’m getting investigated....just so fearful of the findings. Thank you so much for replying x

I think we all understand the spiralling of panic when any health issues and tests are in the frame..I always think it is far better to be investigated quickly rather than being put on a huge waiting list. Talk as much as you want on here? I'm sure your Mum and your friend will want to help in any way they can too. As for your partner...it's rare to have someone who "gets" it and he's probably frustrated because he has no answers and it's not something he relates to? Remember that you haven't got any diagnosis yet and until you see a consultant gynae it's pointless to speculate. You are in the system now though x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information