Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram Tinittus

Citalopram Tinittus

Has anyone experienced tinittus when starting Citalopram. I am on my 3rd time on it. I am on day 5 on 10mg and experiencing loud white noise in both ears. I do suffer from lifetime tinittus and I think the drug has made it lot worse. Difficult to function. Thinking of stopping the cit as it is unbearable.

Re: Citalopram Tinittus

I don't think it is related to be honest

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by StressedEric View Post
    Has anyone experienced tinittus when starting Citalopram. I am on my 3rd time on it. I am on day 5 on 10mg and experiencing loud white noise in both ears. I do suffer from lifetime tinittus and I think the drug has made it lot worse. Difficult to function.
    Tinnitus is a strange condition in that many things can set it off including many medications, anything from aspirin to zit meds, probably compounded in your case by an existing susceptibility. Discontinuing medications may also trigger it.

Thinking of stopping the cit as it is unbearable.
    I suggest you get advice from your GP before doing so. There may be a remedy and if there isn't switching straight to another antidepressant would be better than quitting and restarting. Anecdotally, a few people have reported success taking a benzodiazepine for a few days.

One additional note of caution given this is your third time on citalopram. There is growing evidence antidepressants, especially the SSRIs, may become progressively less effective every time they are stopped and restarted, often requiring higher doses to achieve the previous level of control, or not working at all. They may also produce progressively more severe, and/or different, initial side-effects each time too. Two studies, Amsterdam JD, 2016 and Amsterdam JD, 2009, found the likelihood of antidepressants working after each restart drops by 19-25% (see also: Bosman RC, 2018; Amsterdam JD, 2009; Leykin Y, 2007; Paholpak S, 2002). In light of this there is a strong argument for staying on whatever AD you settle on, imho.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I hear ya (no pun intended) I also have it and it can be annoying when its too quiet.

I seriously wish I never went back on it now. The tinittus is horrendous now. My normal tinittus was never this bad. I just want to get off it and never go on it again.
    If I def go ahead would you suggest a taper off or just stop. 6 days in now.

I get bad tinittus when starting meds. will settle mate. just takes up 8 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by StressedEric View Post
    If I def go ahead would you suggest a taper off or just stop. 6 days in now.
    No, you don't need to taper if you've only been on citalopram for 6 days. However, I still think you should talk to your GP first.

Perhaps, is it possible you have high blood pressure that isn't controlled? When my bp goes up it does get worse.

I have had a terrible night the tinittus has been awful loud and it has continued into this morning. I have got in contact with GP and awaiting a phone call this afternoon about safety stopping the citalopram. I haven't taken it at the usual time I do this morning. If I knew that Citalopram caused this I would have never gone back on it. I dont think I can cope with having this level of tinittus if permanent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information