Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS, unsympathetic doctor

IBS, unsympathetic doctor

I'll try to keep this short, I've had ibs for over 25 years. Previously took mebeverine then only had mild flare ups over the years, mostly stress related.

Recently I've been under alot of stress (have posted in panic attack forum) and have been feeling horrible. Consequently, I've had more than usual phone consultations with various doctors at our surgery.

I've had almost constant pain in my upper right quadrant since having my gallbladder removed in 2003. It seems that I may have something called post cholecystectomy syndrome.

In November last year I started to get mild pains on my upper left side ribs too. I had a barrage of blood tests, which all came back normal, and again in February this year. However, the pains are getting worse. Sometimes it feels like it's all the way along underneath my ribs, other times just one side. Usually lying down or standing eases it, so I've been sleeping mostly OK.

Because of the stress I've lost about 8lbs in two weeks, which isn't really alot I suppose, but I have zero appetite. I can't even think about eating without feeling really anxious.

Last night I managed a small amount of dinner, but forgot to check ingredients and ended up eating something with onion in ( an ibs trigger for me). Around 4am I woke with awful upper tummy pains, a bit like being pregnant and baby kicking under your ribs. Lots of really loud gurgling too. I took a couple Rennie and dozed. I had diarrhoea afterwards, so assume it was the onion triggering the ibs, but felt awful, so rang surgery and asked if a doctor could call me back today.

Well, a doctor did ring, but he made me feel so uncomfortable, like I was being a nuisance. He basically said I'd made alot of unnecessary calls to them and what did I want them to do. I said I really wanted reassurance that there was nothing to worry about other than ibs. He said something like it's a good job all patients don't ring for that reason. I felt like crying. I KNOW I've made alot of calls recently, but that's because I'm in pain and worried. He also said I need to take responsibility for my health anxiety, which I am doing - I start cbt tomorrow.

This is just a rant really, but I feel better for having got it off my chest.

If you read to the end - thank you!

Dee

Re: IBS, unsympathetic doctor

I'm sorry, the guy sounds like a jerk. Hopefully he was just having a bad day.

BlueIris

Hmm, I hope so, but it's made me wary now of calling again anytime.

Dee

Honestly, that's probably not a bad thing. If you avoid speaking to your GP so much, you can use the CBT skills you'll get to help you self-soothe. Unfortunately, frequent fliers at the doctor tend to acquire a reputation; I have enough trouble getting my fears taken seriously when I simply admit to them, despite the fact I go to the doctor on average once every few years. My advice is to find a single GP who understands you and then try to make them your point of contact.

The flip side of this is that you have IBS, you have a history of IBS and you ate something that triggered your IBS.

What exactly do you expect the Doctor to do? IBS is really about self management more than anything else. Try and read between the lines of what the Doctor is saying to you, perhaps they weren't being as much of a jerk as you thought.

When I used to go to my Doctor about anxiety, the last time I saw him was when I told him I wouldn't take antidepressants and he said to me word for word -

"Well, take them or find a way to live with it". So I did. Best thing he ever said to me tbh.

It almost looks like you were looking for a shoulder to cry on, and that's not really what Doctors are for.

I think the GP could have said it more politely (but then I don't know how he said it as wasn't party to hearing the tones of voice in the call), but they are under pressure at the moment and I think ringing for reassurance - about something you knew was IBS and had a cause and effect for flare up - is something clearly they are none too chuffed about. What he was trying to point to, I'm sure, is that you have a logical reason for your 'symptoms' you need to spend some time trying to logically reassure yourself.

I'd made alot of unnecessary calls to them and what did I want them to do
    He is right, and it hurts to hear as you are anxious, upset and not coping, but if everybody just rang when they wanted reassurance about things then they'd be spending all day doing that and nothing else. The NHS would be choked up with HA peeps. This is something for which you know the cause and there really is nothing they can do for you - he bluntly laid it on the table for you. This won't be what you want to hear, but I agree with Blue and AJ above, sometimes this more up front approach can make people think more carefully about their penchant for professional reassurance-seeking.

To return to the other point you made about the gallbladder, pains in the abdomen and various consultations surrounding that, have their tests and checks reached a final conclusion ?
    Last edited by Carys; 22-04-21 at 14:55.

Thank you all for your replies. I do understand what you're saying and will take it on board.

However, it's not something I've been doing for months/years on end, just the last couple of months since my stress levels rocketed.

Last year, quite apart from the pandemic, was a challenge to say the least. My mum had her gallbladder removed and I went to stay with her in February; I broke my hip in June whilst out walking the dog and had to have a total hip replacement; my eldest daughter had meningitis; one of my sons and his partner had a baby and both mum and baby had septicaemia because she was left too long in labour before a c section, thankfully they are both OK. My youngest son, who suffers with anxiety, split with his girlfriend and went totally off the rails. Then at the end of December my younger daughter gave birth to a stillborn baby girl at 7 months and I was with her. I arranged the funeral in January and all that goes with it, been visiting the grave almost every day. My Dr says it's probably stress overload and even possibly a touch of ptsd from breaking my hip. Who knows?? All I want is to feel like me again.

I'm not making excuses and I do appreciate all you've said and how busy the doctors are, but given all that's happened I just wanted to know I was OK. That's all.

I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time, Dee. Given the circumstances, it's hardly surprising you're a bit fragile.

I'm sorry Dee, it sounds rough, I guess the answer is to do what Blue said earlier, stick to one doctor who knows your background....it sounds like this one you spoke to today doesn't. I just think that you need to learn to say you are 'ok', but as you say its only been a matter of weeks that your anxiety has been very high, I presumed it had been a lot longer when I made the earlier reply. Your cbt should be a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time, Dee. Given the circumstances, it's hardly surprising you're a bit fragile.
    +1

As mentioned in your other post, it's no surprise you are experiencing symptoms.

I'm going through yet another period of monumental stress at home and I can assure you the first thing that goes is my stomach lol.

You can live with it though. You're already on the right path trying various forms of self care. That's all you can do really. The more self sufficient you become, the more able you are to cope with the symptoms next time a wave of stress comes your way. You begin to realise that it's not really that big a deal in the first place, and it's the reaction to things that causes the additional stress, not the thing itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information