Thread: Anxiety worse at night

Anxiety worse at night

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone’s anxiety is worse at night?? Mine seems to be, I get anxious as soon as night time is coming. I d ok my know why maybe because everything feels so much more scary at night and i feel more alone.
    I get that anxious feeling in my chest, fast growing, sob, bad stomach, shaking but it can last hours on end not just your usual 20 minutes that a panic attack does. I believe I’m having really high anxiety that is causing these symptoms as panic attacks aren’t supposed to last that long are they?
    Anyone experience the same? Xx

Re: Anxiety worse at night

It depends on the person but could it be that you've been really cold at night lately?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Panic and anxiety aren't the same thing. A panic attack is an adrenal thing, and adrenaline only lasts for a certain amount of time before it wears off.

Anxiety is a state of constant fear, and can last indefinitely. Anxiety can provoke multiple panic attacks, so don't get too caught up in the idea that symptoms should or shouldn't last X amount of time.

Even with a panic attack lasting X amount of time, if you keep reacting in an anxious way they can be self perpetuating.

It's common for people to feel more or less anxious at certain times of the day, but it's important not to start dreading it because the reality is it's just habitual thinking for the most part. When it starts to get dark, just tell yourself that you're completely safe, nothing is 'wrong', nothing scary is happening. You need to re-teach your subconscious not to fear something that doesn't need to be feared.

Yes I have been colder at night but not every night. I’ve had health anxiety for 10 yrs, got a lot better but have spiralled again since January due to personal problems. Since the end of January I’ve had daily panic attacks and constant anxiety but it’s so much worse at night

I think I’ve been really struggling because the panic attacks that I used to have yrs ago are so different to what I’m experiencing at the minute, especially the shaking that is just uncontrollable, likewise the length of time I’m now experiencing these symptoms for. You’re right I need to stop thinking about being anxious at night time as 9 times out of 10 this is causing it to happen.

I wonder if it is because there are not as many distractions at night, your world quiets down and thats when anxiety and intrusive thoughts can circle in and land.

Yes totally relate to this! My anxiety increases as soon as it gets dark haha. I also have quite bad OCD which literally doesn't affect me at all during the day, its only a night time routine. I do think it's a combo of less distraction and it's it being generally quieter. Easier to run away with your thoughts. Been trying to work on breathing techniques to help relax on a night X

Thread Information