Thread: Headache or Tumour (I know, I know!)

Headache or Tumour (I know, I know!)

I’ve been using NoMorePanic for the past few years and have found discussions on here so helpful with my health anxiety.

I had a really bad bout of HA a few years ago when I had a branchial cyst in my neck that I thought was cancer. It went on for MONTHS, resulted in surgery, I have a neat looking scar on my neck and everything was fine in the end. But the fear was so gut wrenching and scary.

Anyway - I’ve made so much progress since then and I never thought I’d be back feeling how I did, but here we are. In tears because of an annoying headache that’s been around for over a week now (8 days exactly).

It came on relatively suddenly so I’ve been to both the opticians and the GP, both who have said they can’t see anything worrying (although I am mildly, mildly short sighted!)

I’ve had NO other symptoms, I really haven’t been that stressed, I’ve had a bit of a stiff jaw from tensing while I sleep I think. I was ‘on’ last week when the headache began. But I really can’t think of a reason why this headache has come about, and reading stories online has me sat having my first anxiety attack in SO LONG, and has me convinced I’ve got a brain tumour.

Huge post but it felt kind of therapeutic to write it all out. Can tension headaches REALLY last this long? Do people know the odds for brain tumours in your 20s? I’m at a loss and can’t believe I’m back here after such a good couple of years 😔

Re: Headache or Tumour (I know, I know!)

Hi

Did you have a previous login on here?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Hi

Did you have a previous login on here?
    I thought I did from a couple of years ago but the website didn’t recognise my email 🤷🏻*♀️! When I say i use the website a lot, I mean I watch from afar and find the discussions already had or happening often help me frame things better x

Beachbabyxxx I have some experience on this one, I sent you a message

When I had brain tumour fears both my neurologist and my GP said that not only are brain tumours extremely rare in younger people (I was early 30's), having one that presents with just a headache is even rarer. I had horrendous headaches that would have me wishing for death. MRI was clear for anything bad, and even before they scanned me, they were already 99.9% sure there was no tumour. They were only looking for other stuff anyway because I had some other symptoms that went alongside the headaches.

The people who have long running headaches with no scary outcome are so unlikely to write online about them, which is why you'll only ever really see the negative stories (also very very very very rare!)

A stiff jaw is much more likely to be the culprit. I have jaw problems that can cause tension type headaches to last for a month if I pull it the wrong way. Mine is a little bit too hypermobile, so if I put too much strain on it, it can drag at all the muscles around the temples and back of neck. These muscles are also responsible for a huge amount of chronic headaches in people.

Why don't you try some gentle neck and shoulder exercises to see if it helps? If you gentle massage your jaw joint, it might help to ease the pain. Yes tension headaches can last a long time if there's something aggravating them. Anxiety can cause them too, so it could be something of a feedback loop in your case.

Hope you feel better soon

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    When I had brain tumour fears both my neurologist and my GP said that not only are brain tumours extremely rare in younger people (I was early 30's), having one that presents with just a headache is even rarer. I had horrendous headaches that would have me wishing for death. MRI was clear for anything bad, and even before they scanned me, they were already 99.9% sure there was no tumour. They were only looking for other stuff anyway because I had some other symptoms that went alongside the headaches.

The people who have long running headaches with no scary outcome are so unlikely to write online about them, which is why you'll only ever really see the negative stories (also very very very very rare!)

A stiff jaw is much more likely to be the culprit. I have jaw problems that can cause tension type headaches to last for a month if I pull it the wrong way. Mine is a little bit too hypermobile, so if I put too much strain on it, it can drag at all the muscles around the temples and back of neck. These muscles are also responsible for a huge amount of chronic headaches in people.

Why don't you try some gentle neck and shoulder exercises to see if it helps? If you gentle massage your jaw joint, it might help to ease the pain. Yes tension headaches can last a long time if there's something aggravating them. Anxiety can cause them too, so it could be something of a feedback loop in your case.

Hope you feel better soon
    Thank you so, so much for this! It’s helped put my mind more at ease. I’m sat running my temples and jaw and it’s definitely taking some pressure off and offering some relief. I hope it subsides soon but I’m feeling a bit more positive.

Sorry to hear you had such bad headaches! I hope you managed to get them sorted 🥰

Hello again! I just wanted to give an update. I know sometimes people find themselves on these threads looking for reassurance, and want to know what happened etc.

My headaches have essentially disappeared just short of 2 weeks! I honestly never had a headache that lasted longer than a few hours (although have had day long migraines in the past). I was certain that a headache going on for so long must be attributed to something sinister - but for the past 72 hours I've been fine - no pain!

I did notice I had (and still have) a very stiff neck and shoulders. I'm drinking tons of water, and treating my neck and shoulders with a heated wheat bag - so this could potentially be helping too. I'm still noticing some tension when reading in my eyebrow area, but my new prescription glasses come tomorrow so hopefully that will resolve it!

If you end up here because you've googled your symptoms, I'd recommend seeing your GP and Optician to rule out anything, but trust that you'll very likely be okay soon. And yes - a very long headache is weird, but apparently very common!

Glad to hear you're feeling a lot better! It's no fun when the head is concerned, because every little sensation feels amplified.

I hope you manage to get some relief for your shoulder and neck soon!

Thread Information