Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Re: 'Forgotten' disturbances in 1990s Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    He and my mom were flabbergasted when I told them to eff off for the first time back in 1986 (I think) and I called them both 'Pakkies'!
    I flicked the Vs at my mother and I thought my life was over by the look on her face! However, in the summer of 1981, I discovered that I could run really fast (school sports) so she had no chance.

My son is like sponge when it comes to picking up shit from other kids. We have to be very careful what he watches at home. This was never an issue with me at school or in front of anyone except my immediate family because I hardly spoke. My lad used the C word not so long ago - and totally inappropriately to the situation he was using it in. It was almost comical! One of the kids had said it at school and he must have liked how it sounded? Once I'd stopped choking on my chips, I set him right...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I flicked the Vs at my mother and I thought my life was over by the look on her face! However, in the summer of 1981, I discovered that I could run really fast (school sports) so she had no chance.

My son is like sponge when it comes to picking up shit from other kids. We have to be very careful what he watches at home. This was never an issue with me at school or in front of anyone except my immediate family because I hardly spoke. My lad used the C word not so long ago - and totally inappropriately to the situation he was using it in. It was almost comical! One of the kids had said it at school and he must have liked how it sounded? Once I'd stopped choking on my chips, I set him right...
    But at least you didn't beat the crap out of him, nor threatened to disown him.

Whilst I don't normally approve of people dropping C-bombs (and F-bombs for that matter) willy-nilly, especially in inappropriate situations, compared to extreme physical violence, theft, vandalism, etc, it's hardly 'crime of the century'!

Whilst I don't normally approve of people dropping C-bombs (and F-bombs for that matter) willy-nilly, especially in inappropriate situations, compared to extreme physical violence, theft, vandalism, etc, it's hardly 'crime of the century'!
    On the other hand, there has always been elements of hypocrisy when it comes to swearing. Most adults have pretty much always had a 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude over it, but when kids have complained when foul language has come out of the gobs of adults, they have lectured the kids about 'freedom of expression' and those words being more acceptable now compared to years ago.

Ditto for smoking, though that definitely isn't more acceptable these days!

My mum must have threatened to 'disown' us hundreds of times and we were smacked throughout the 70s - as were most children. By the 80s, I think she realised that docking my pocket money was more effective than a slap on the behind or back of the legs. In those days society expected parents to discipline their children. It was the 'norm' and a totally different era to the one we're in now. The difference with abusive parents was the amount of force used and the pleasure they derived from hurting their children. That teacher who humiliated me in front of the class? She got a kick out of that. She was loving every moment of my misery. The girl who hit me on my first day of secondary? Made her feel great judging by the look on her face! That was not my mother. There was no malicious intention, ever. She wasn't perfect, for sure, but she couldn't have loved us anymore than she did and she sacrificed a lot for us. I actually think she did a great job with us three kids - one who wasn't supposed to live to see double figures (he's still here), one who was closet gay (and more of a girl than I ever was) and the other an undiagnosed autistic with an attitude problem because she was unable to verbally express what was happening to her. My mum's been gone ten years now, and there's not a day that goes by when I don't think of her and miss her. Dad too, and he died when I was 26. He only ever smacked me when I had like been epically shite, and the look on his face afterwards said it all because it clearly upset him, and that hurt me more than the smack ever could. I've encountered a lot of crappy people in my life but I had great parents, and I always felt loved - even when she was chucking my Clash LP out the bedroom window! Anyone who wasn't so lucky has my heartfelt sympathy.

Crime of the century it aint, but I have a job to do and it's not acceptable for an 11 year old boy to go around using the C bomb, F bomb, or any other bomb. Not on my watch!

My mum must have threatened to 'disown' us hundreds of times and we were smacked throughout the 70s - as were most children. By the 80s, I think she realised that docking my pocket money was more effective than a slap on the behind or back of the legs. In those days society expected parents to discipline their children. It was the 'norm' and a totally different era to the one we're in now. The difference with abusive parents was the amount of force used and the pleasure they derived from hurting their children. That teacher who humiliated me in front of the class? She got a kick out of that. She was loving every moment of my misery. The girl who hit me on my first day of secondary? Made her feel great judging by the look on her face! That was not my mother. There was no malicious intention, ever. She wasn't perfect, for sure, but she couldn't have loved us anymore than she did and she sacrificed a lot for us. I actually think she did a great job with us three kids - one who wasn't supposed to live to see double figures (he's still here), one who was closet gay (and more of a girl than I ever was) and the other an undiagnosed autistic with an attitude problem because she was unable to verbally express what was happening to her. My mum's been gone ten years now, and there's not a day that goes by when I don't think of her and miss her. Dad too, and he died when I was 26. He only ever smacked me when I had like been epically shite, and the look on his face afterwards said it all because it clearly upset him, and that hurt me more than the smack ever could. I've encountered a lot of crappy people in my life but I had great parents, and I always felt loved - even when she was chucking my Clash LP out the bedroom window! Anyone who wasn't so lucky has my heartfelt sympathy.

Crime of the century it aint, but I have a job to do and it's not acceptable for an 11 year old boy to go around using the C bomb, F bomb, or any other bomb. Not on my watch!
    Talking of school teachers and their humiliation of certain pupils in past decades, I read somewhere on another forum (Digital Spy, I think) tales about kids being made to stand in the rubbish bin in their classroom by their teachers back in the 70s, and the teachers even encouraged the rest of the class to laugh at them and call them names.

There was even talk of some teachers actually siding with serial bullies and actively encouraging them to bully other pupils who were considered 'weak', or a bit 'different' as a punishment, especially if they had a learning disability (diagnosed or undiagnosed).

Even in schools specifically intended for kids with LDs, this inhumane, humiliating treatment of pupils was still fairly common practice, especially the dreaded ABA stuff!

Ditto for day centres for adults with LDs.

Back to the original subject of 'Forgotten disturbances in 1990s Britain', there was a major disturbance in Swansea, Wales, yesterday evening (which I have already covered in my 'Riot fears' thread in the GAD section this morning), which was rather reminiscent of disturbances that occured in various 'deprived' areas across England and Wales back in 1991-92, fuelled in particular by 'joyriding' and general 'yob culture'/ASB, rather than racial tensions.

I bet if the old Digital Spy forum was still going right now, there would be the usual stuff from the 'rightists' on there demanding the govt bring back the birch, death sentence, borstals, school corporal punishment, etc, while the 'leftists' would obviously be harping on about the endless (Tory) cuts, etc, over the past decade.

Back to the original subject of 'Forgotten disturbances in 1990s Britain', there was a major disturbance in Swansea, Wales, yesterday evening (which I have already covered in my 'Riot fears' thread in the GAD section this morning), which was rather reminiscent of disturbances that occured in various 'deprived' areas across England and Wales back in 1991-92, fuelled in particular by 'joyriding' and general 'yob culture'/ASB, rather than racial tensions.

I bet if the old Digital Spy forum was still going right now, there would be the usual stuff from the 'rightists' on there demanding the govt bring back the birch, death sentence, borstals, school corporal punishment, etc, while the 'leftists' would obviously be harping on about the endless (Tory) cuts, etc, over the past decade.
    Just read about it. Disgusting behaviour. It was supposed to be a peaceful vigil wasn't it?

Just read about it. Disgusting behaviour. It was supposed to be a peaceful vigil wasn't it?
    The real irony for me is that it wasn't race-related, nor in response to police brutality, which are the usual 'triggers' for such events, but more general 'hooliganism' from (White) yobs in the area concerned.

Let's face it, that could have been a certain estate in my borough (which, dare I say it, has a mostly White population) back in the early 90s when it was plagued by similar problems at that time, but thankfully didn't quite deteriorate enough to the full-on 'riot' stage, unlike other similar estates in various other towns/cities at that time!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information